Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2014/15 Stuff it in here.

Wayne Rooney new Man Utd captain, Fletcher vice captain. Not sure who else in there has much leading ability other than those two.

I reckon he'll be the next England captain too. Hodgson is nothing if not predictable.

Ben Smith

BBC Sport

Premier League predictions

Football

Posted at

10:16

"In Cesc Fabregas, Diego Costa and Filipe Luis, Chelsea have bought experience, proven winners and talent that will immediately improve an already strong first XI. Manchester City will, however, push them all the way. Manchester United will improve and may well end up in the top four but they still look light in central defence and in midfield but that could, of course, change before the transfer window closes.

"At the other end of the table Burnley have struggled to recruit real quality and I have a hunch West Brom may get dragged down too. Top four: Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal & Liverpool. Bottom three: West Brom, Leicester City & Burnley."

Ben Smith can go do one.

Putting your best player as Captain is not a bad decision really.

I don't why the best players are made captains these days, when there are better choices. Messi and Ronaldo both captain their Country, for example, which I don't understand when there are better choices with better leadership skills.

Guest MattP

Does the captain really matter in football anyway? It's not like Cricket where you actually have to do something.

They toss a coin and pick up trophies when they win, I don't think a captain makes any difference whatsoever, if you had made Jerome Boateng the Germany captain this summer I still think they would have won the World Cup.

No idea why it's even newsworthy.

Tipped to go down! by these gits http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28742392 and they think QPR will finish above us! Erm as someone told them we won the league with 102 points. I somehow don't think this is a prediction table more like how they want the league to finish. 

They also seemed to have accidentally used a photo of Phil Mitchell in the photo montage at the top

It's nothing new, I don't know why people are worried, newly promoted teams are always tipped to go down by all and sundry. I don't remember a single person last year who tipped Palace to stay up and look what happened.

The good news the vast majority of football pundits talk absolute shite and are giving out their opinions on the BBC or Sky etc as they aren't good enough to work in the game.

It's nothing new, I don't know why people are worried, newly promoted teams are always tipped to go down by all and sundry. I don't remember a single person last year who tipped Palace to stay up and look what happened.

The good news the vast majority of football pundits talk absolute shite and are giving out their opinions on the BBC or Sky etc as they aren't good enough to work in the game.

This is true. Champions are usually predicted to finish 18th, second place 19th, play off winners 20th. The only exceptions in recent times are probably Newcastle and West Ham, who were already "equipped". I just don't see how these pundits have QPR finishing above us but never mind.

Does the captain really matter in football anyway? It's not like Cricket where you actually have to do something.

They toss a coin and pick up trophies when they win, I don't think a captain makes any difference whatsoever, if you had made Jerome Boateng the Germany captain this summer I still think they would have won the World Cup.

Exactly, real leaders come out on the pitch anyway. Saying that, no idea why Messi would be captain over Mascherano.

Gerrard is a prime example of what a captain is at Liverpool.

He's the one motivating the team on the pitch and giving 1000% for the team.

I guarantee if Gerrard wasn't playing in that champions league final. Liverpool would have got spanked!

I've played football with terrible captains who are silent and I've played football with captains who make you feel their presence and make you give it that extra 10%

Gerrard is a prime example of what a captain is. Not many other people can call themselves a captain just because they were an armband but I think Rooney will do a very good job.

It's not about Rooney being the best player that's why he gets the band. It's because of his work ethic and attitude towards the game and winning.

A team with a poor captain will get eaten alive if they have a bad start to a game, look at Brazil for example.

Alves dropped his head and the team crumbled. You need someone (a captain) to pick you back up and fight,

Guest MattP

Gerrard is a prime example of what a captain is at Liverpool.

He's the one motivating the team on the pitch and giving 1000% for the team.

I guarantee if Gerrard wasn't playing in that champions league final. Liverpool would have got spanked!

I've played football with terrible captains who are silent and I've played football with captains who make you feel their presence and make you give it that extra 10%

Gerrard is a prime example of what a captain is. Not many other people can call themselves a captain just because they were an armband but I think Rooney will do a very good job.

It's not about Rooney being the best player that's why he gets the band. It's because of his work ethic and attitude towards the game and winning.

A team with a poor captain will get eaten alive if they have a bad start to a game, look at Brazil for example.

Alves dropped his head and the team crumbled. You need someone (a captain) to pick you back up and fight,

re Brazil - Thiago came back after the semi final and they still got destroyed, it was the fact they were missing their best defender and playing a rampant German side that caused them to be hammered, not the lack of a captains speech. A defensive organiser doesnt have to be a captain either.

Gerrard was on the pitch, I don't think his performance in that CL final would have been any less had he been wearing the armband or not. Are footballers that stupid they need a man in a armband to shout at them to get them fully motivated to perform at their best? To get up and fight? I really hope not. Though it wouldn't surprise me. People should want to do that anyway.

The only real 'captain' I can remember in any sport who seemed to get an extra 10% of out everyone else was Mike Brearly and he had all sorts of psychological qualifications to go with it, I don't think Rooney has that.

Archived