Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Ex-Leicester City player news

Nick Powell's Manchester United career almost over with youngster disillusioned with football

Nick Powell is set to quit Manchester United - after growing disillusioned with football, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People.

The former England Under-21 starlet has shown little appetite for the game and is running down his contract at Old Trafford.

Powell, 22, was signed from Crewe Alexandra in a £4m deal three years ago.

His progress stalled because of a serious knee injury but the playmaker’s attitude has not improved since a loan spell was cut short at Leicester City ten months ago with fingers pointed at the youngster's attitude and commitment to training.

Powell was sent out on loan by United boss Louis van Gaal on deadline day in September last year after appearing in United’s shock 4-0 Capital One Cup defeat at MK Dons.

Powell played three times under former Foxes boss Nigel Pearson and appeared in four Under-21 games for Leicester before they pulled the plug in January this yearjust three months into the agreement.

At the time, Pearson was understood to be disappointed at Powell’s time keeping and felt the player lacked the hunger and desire he was looking for as the club fought to stay in the Premier League.

And since his return to United his fortunes have not improved with Van Gaal not convinced Powell has the motivation he is looking for.

Powell had a successful season on loan at Wigan during 2013-14 but the early promise that prompted United to splash the cash on the youngster, after he scored a spectacular Wembley screamer in the 2012 League Two play-off final, has never materialised.

The youngster has only made seven appearances for United in his three years at the club and he’ll be allowed to leave next year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nick-powells-manchester-united-career-6611041

Premier League to Conference in one season for GTF.

Yes, but good attitude: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tranmere-rovers-gary-taylor-fletchers-10285719. - "People wanted to question why I came down to this level but why not?" said Taylor Fletcher. "It is enjoyable. It is what I want to do. I was getting frustrated. I'm helping Tranmere and they are helping me." I like that: good luck to him.

• Like 1

Nick Powell's Manchester United career almost over with youngster disillusioned with football

Nick Powell is set to quit Manchester United - after growing disillusioned with football, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People.

The former England Under-21 starlet has shown little appetite for the game and is running down his contract at Old Trafford.

Powell, 22, was signed from Crewe Alexandra in a £4m deal three years ago.

His progress stalled because of a serious knee injury but the playmaker’s attitude has not improved since a loan spell was cut short at Leicester City ten months ago with fingers pointed at the youngster's attitude and commitment to training.

Powell was sent out on loan by United boss Louis van Gaal on deadline day in September last year after appearing in United’s shock 4-0 Capital One Cup defeat at MK Dons.

Powell played three times under former Foxes boss Nigel Pearson and appeared in four Under-21 games for Leicester before they pulled the plug in January this yearjust three months into the agreement.

At the time, Pearson was understood to be disappointed at Powell’s time keeping and felt the player lacked the hunger and desire he was looking for as the club fought to stay in the Premier League.

And since his return to United his fortunes have not improved with Van Gaal not convinced Powell has the motivation he is looking for.

Powell had a successful season on loan at Wigan during 2013-14 but the early promise that prompted United to splash the cash on the youngster, after he scored a spectacular Wembley screamer in the 2012 League Two play-off final, has never materialised.

The youngster has only made seven appearances for United in his three years at the club and he’ll be allowed to leave next year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nick-powells-manchester-united-career-6611041

That's so sad. I was crap at football, and would love to have had Powell's talent. Sad that it looks like he is going to waste it.

Saw this in The Grauniad: http://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2015/oct/19/steffen-freund-tottenham-hotspur-and-midfielders?CMP=EMCFTBEML853

I looked Freund up on Wikipedia, and I was surprised to find he only played 14 games for us. I thought it was a full season. Fond memories, though, despite that League Cup final. He was one of the few older players we signed in that era who wasn't in it for one last payday.

The Mavericks.... What an era!

What a great programme this is. Halfway through watching it on ITV4+1

Frankie Wortho coming up and funny listening to the Birch about 'the kiss' with Tony Currie. What brilliant flair players England had in those days.

What a great programme this is. Halfway through watching it on ITV4+1

Frankie Wortho coming up and funny listening to the Birch about 'the kiss' with Tony Currie. What brilliant flair players England had in those days.

FW not well. Dementia or Alsymers. Been poorly for a while now

FW not well. Dementia or Alsymers. Been poorly for a while now

Yeah, he didn't look or sound good did he? I figured all those years living life in the fast lane have caught up with him. I didn't realise it was Dementia or Alsymers though - how sad. Birch on the other hand looked on top form though.

Levi Porter has just signed for Stamford AFC. 

Good club!  I vaguelly remember playing there once - Ian Storey Moore played in a team put together by Noel Cantwell way back in the 70s. The chairman's swimming pool was a great backdrop to the party afterwards and if the same atmosphere prevails I'm sure Levi will fit in fine. :D      

Neil Lennon doing well, propping up the foot of the Championship......And to think people really wanted him here in the summer lol

It just emphasises how different it is managing Celtic in a one or two-horse race in the largely indifferent wilderness of Scottish football and managing for real in England. I never understood why a few people wanted him as manager here. But then I thought Solksjaer and Roy Keane would make decent managers.