Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Do you know that stretch of the Soar Valley way where they’ve put up signs saying ‘30 limit mandatory’ (near the yellow railings). Well is it? Are there cameras there cos nobody seems to slow to 30mph along that stretch? I believe it was the scene of a nasty accident but the 30 limit doesn’t appear to be being enforced?

I'm not quite sure what the point of it is - I know the barriers were damaged in the accident of which you speak. 

People are slowing down a bit for a it.  Not sure what the longer term plan is - it doesn't strike me as a particularly dangerous bit of road, but I'm only ever on it when it's busy and you couldn't go crazy fast even if you wanted to. When it's quieter it's a different matter, of course

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Do you know that stretch of the Soar Valley way where they’ve put up signs saying ‘30 limit mandatory’ (near the yellow railings). Well is it? Are there cameras there cos nobody seems to slow to 30mph along that stretch? I believe it was the scene of a nasty accident but the 30 limit doesn’t appear to be being enforced?

Hmmmm I would say that just because there's no speed cameras doesn't mean the speed limit isn't mandatory. Also a couple of people (I think) died in that crash and the barriers still haven't been repaired fully hence the lower speed limit for now.

There's been a few fatalities at that exact spot. I think a couple years ago a bloke was left dead in his car for a couple days on the left side in the hedges because the police didn't look properly. When I was a young driver i used to drive pretty quickly down there, but the corner with the bridge where the crashes have been does come up pretty quickly and a lot sharper than expected, when at speed at least. Nowadays I stick to 50, I've only been down once with the mandatory 30 and I tried to stick to it, but it was extremely hard, and literally everything flew past me, lorries and all.

4 hours ago, Kopic said:

There's been a few fatalities at that exact spot. I think a couple years ago a bloke was left dead in his car for a couple days on the left side in the hedges because the police didn't look properly. When I was a young driver i used to drive pretty quickly down there, but the corner with the bridge where the crashes have been does come up pretty quickly and a lot sharper than expected, when at speed at least. Nowadays I stick to 50, I've only been down once with the mandatory 30 and I tried to stick to it, but it was extremely hard, and literally everything flew past me, lorries and all.

Sounds ripe for a camera, if there have been other injuries/deaths at the same spot. I've only really driven on it in the last few months after changing jobs

On 10/03/2019 at 08:12, Col city fan said:

It's not being enforced (cameras etc) and very few do. It's more for your own safety so I'm guessing they are just leaving people to it. If anyone crashes at speed there aren't crash barriers, just concrete blocks... which might stop you, but also destroy you and your car. Just make sure there isn't a cop about and that someone else is going quicker and do what you want lol

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

It's not being enforced (cameras etc) and very few do. It's more for your own safety so I'm guessing they are just leaving people to it. If anyone crashes at speed there aren't crash barriers, just concrete blocks... which might stop you, but also destroy you and your car. Just make sure there isn't a cop about and that someone else is going quicker and do what you want lol

Things that piss me off about that stretch now are a) why haven’t they fixed the barriers yet?! & b) there’s been an abandoned S-Max on there for at least a month now, why is it still there!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stix said:

Things that piss me off about that stretch now are a) why haven’t they fixed the barriers yet?! & b) there’s been an abandoned S-Max on there for at least a month now, why is it still there!!

It's alright mate, they've draped a bit of police tape over the back of it so I'm sure it's all in hand..........

Why is it, that the only people sticking to that 30mph limit have to sit in the outside lane lol

Edited by Babylon

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's alright mate, they've draped a bit of police tape over the back of it so I'm sure it's all in hand..........

Why is it, that the only people sticking to that 30mph limit have to sit in the outside lane lol

It’s as if the council literally have zero pounds left of their budget and are waiting until April to do anything about it. I predict it’ll be mayhem up there next month with roadworks. 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:00, Babylon said:

Because they're going to turn right in a mile. Or maybe not. They might want to go left to Narborough. Or straight on to the M1. Or be going, blankly, to Fosse Park. Or they might just be another oblivious, mindless, thoughtless, unaware, absent minded driver that merely drives and doesn't ACTIVELY drive with an awareness of what's going on around them. Like the lane 2 hoggers on the motorway.

Hobby Horse Roundabout.

Not sure if it's just a poorly-planned traffic management area or a place most often where you see somes of the worse drivers around.

Would hate to drive a big HGV truck around it.

For those worried about the 30 mph limit on Soar Valley Way, don't be. It's completely closed, with absolutely no warning until you actually get there and have to make the decision of Middleton St or going through Enderby :angry:

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

For those worried about the 30 mph limit on Soar Valley Way, don't be. It's completely closed, with absolutely no warning until you actually get there and have to make the decision of Middleton St or going through Enderby :angry:

To be fair there have been road signs at the Lutterworth Rd junction for a week

Double whammy of idiots: One group of cars in the middle lane next to an empty lane 1 being overtaken by another group at a pace that would make a lorry driver proud.  Got angrily flashed at by the lead middle lane hog for maintaining my speed and lane to undertake them all instead of pulling over 2 lanes to join the conga line. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Double whammy of idiots: One group of cars in the middle lane next to an empty lane 1 being overtaken by another group at a pace that would make a lorry driver proud.  Got angrily flashed at by the lead middle lane hog for maintaining my speed and lane to undertake them all instead of pulling over 2 lanes to join the conga line. :rolleyes:

Hallelujah, somebody who knows that you can go past middle lane cars in Lane 1 providing you are doing the speed limit.

The amount of people who go across to the outside lane when you can continue in lane 1 baffles me lol 

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Hallelujah, somebody who knows that you can go past middle lane cars in Lane 1 providing you are doing the speed limit.

The amount of people who go across to the outside lane when you can continue in lane 1 baffles me lol 

I like to circle them two or three times, though I'm in no doubt it has no effect.

On 20/03/2019 at 08:40, kingcarr21 said:

I'm really not sure that's how you should be interpreting what it says in the highway code. It's stipulates "in slow moving traffic" and "congested conditions". Undertaking someone in free flowing traffic going 60 at 70mph really wouldn't stand up.

See it every day, people coming off the A46 who stick in lane one all the way down to J21 undertaking people at 60/70mph in free flowing traffic, when people will be coming across lanes to go to the services or come off a J21, they will just end up causing a crash.

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm really not sure that's how you should be interpreting what it says in the highway code. It's stipulates "in slow moving traffic" and "congested conditions". Undertaking someone in free flowing traffic going 60 at 70mph really wouldn't stand up.

See it every day, people coming off the A46 who stick in lane one all the way down to J21 undertaking people at 60/70mph in free flowing traffic, when people will be coming across lanes to go to the services or come off a J21, they will just end up causing a crash.

This wasn't that if it helps, we were on a looong stretch between junctions and I could see lane 1 hadn't been touched for a couple of miles as I slowly caught up to the pack, and slowly made them all feel a bit silly.

20 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This wasn't that if it helps, we were on a looong stretch between junctions and I could see lane 1 hadn't been touched for a couple of miles as I slowly caught up to the pack, and slowly made them all feel a bit silly.

It's one of them that you just need to use common sense on, I'm not going to say I've never done it to some plank sat doing 55/60 in lane two for a few miles. Suggesting it's fine at any time so long as you're under the speed limit is just an accident waiting to happen. Saw someone do it to a lorry and they can pinned against the crash barrier. Had people doing it to me as I'm trying to come off the motorway and they are just as bad as those sitting in the middle lane if they don't do it at appropriate moments.

• Like 1

A3, M25, A1(M), A505...  All full of oblivious drivers incapable of noticing empty road to their left, empty roundabouts ahead of them and apparently all lacking the depth perception necessary to gauge the speed of congested traffic ahead and adjust their own pace accordingly.  :nigel:

23 hours ago, Babylon said:

I was replying to Carl's scenario. I mentioned nothing about free flowing traffic. If its free flowing then you can overtake no problem

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

I was replying to Carl's scenario. I mentioned nothing about free flowing traffic. If its free flowing then you can overtake no problem

You said it was fine so long as you were traveling at the speed limit, which isn't right. Because if it was congested or you were in slow moving traffic, you wouldn't be anywhere close to that.

I'm don't want to be Mr "don't undertake" I've done it and most of us will in certain circumstances. I just had visions of you bombing along at 70mph on the inside lane and killing yourself (I'd rather you didn't), because a lorry can't see you or most drivers wouldn't expect someone to be doing that.

Crappy little hatchbacks driven by wankers that come screaming up behind me just we join a fast stretch of road as if to say move over ****. So I say **** off and disappear at a speed that their crappy hatchback can only dream of. :@ :mad:

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:40, kingcarr21 said:

This is not the case, if you check the Highway Code.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answers/can-you-overtake-on-the-nearside-of-another-vehicle#