Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Morgan

That's a midfield issue, nobody picking up midfield runs into our box. Morgan where he supposed to be alongside opposition forwards, then having to dive back across the box when midfielders come past Cambiasso & partner as if they wasn't there

You cannot seriously expect our midfield to be a match for some of the world's best, when they cost £2m between them.

For me, this 'Calamity Morgan' thing is fair, as its been an ongoing issue throughout the season, and to suggest he's been the standout defender in the last month is absurd.

Huth has been a cut above all of them.

There has been the odd poor game, but no more than that - very few & far between IMO.

Our midfield has been abysmal defensively all season. Absolutely abysmal!

There are a couple of outstanding forwards in the PL, but it's the midfield in the modern game that provide the attacking threat.

Our midfielders not tracking runs into the box was the bulk of the reason we couldn't buy a win for some many games. It's no wonder Morgan was diving left right & centre in attempts to make last ditch against oncoming midfielders whose run hadn't been tracked, or because our keeper for half a season couldn't come & punch/collect.

i'm not saying Huth isn't a class above, he clearly is. But Morgan has been one of our standout performers across the season, in a side which has struggled, mainly due to the midfield defensively

There has been the odd poor game, but no more than that - very few & far between IMO.

Our midfield has been abysmal defensively all season. Absolutely abysmal!

There are a couple of outstanding forwards in the PL, but it's the midfield in the modern game that provide the attacking threat.

Our midfielders not tracking runs into the box was the bulk of the reason we couldn't buy a win for some many games. It's no wonder Morgan was diving left right & centre in attempts to make last ditch against oncoming midfielders whose run hadn't been tracked, or because our keeper for half a season couldn't come & punch/collect.

i'm not saying Huth isn't a class above, he clearly is. But Morgan has been one of our standout performers across the season, in a side which has struggled, mainly due to the midfield defensively

Careful you'll be banned.

But spot on...

Our midfield is weak. Physically it's weak.

Morgan has had all sorts of criticism hurled at him all season but in so many games he's been put under immense pressure.

I made the point in another thread about Chelsea's third goal last night. Amazing strike though it was, it was yet another example of a midfielder, scoring from that area between defence and midfield and not being challenged.

Another 'oncoming midfielder' if you like.

That's been a feature of quite a few goals we've conceded this season.

Konch was fine first half last night. But as soon as Mourinho changed it up (as soon as they exploited the middle to left side of our team) we had no answer whatsoever.

But spot on...

Morgan has had all sorts of criticism hurled at him all season but in so many games he's been put under immense pressure.

I made the point in another thread about Chelsea's third goal last night. Amazing strike though it was, it was yet another example of a midfielder, scoring from that area between defence and midfield and not being challenged.

Konch was fine first half last night. But as soon as Mourinho changed it up (as soon as they exploited the middle to left side of our team) we had no answer whatsoever.

Thing is, we actually signed a DM, a true modern great. However he's been woeful in that regard - I reiterate, because a DM is such a key position in the modern game of attacking CAMs being they key threat - He has been absolutely woeful, partly tactics/partly age.

He's above criticism though, so I won't mention his name.

But spot on...

Exactly this. People laughed when i suggested bringing Hammond into the side for the Chelsea game. He isnt the Messiah or anything but he would have certainly been in the right place to close that gap between defence and midfield. Chelsea had 2 players running onto the ball for the 3rd goal with no1 anywhere near them. A DM that ONLY defends was a must for me and Hammond is the only player we have that plays that role.

Explain please.

You've said its the weak midfield that's to blame, for making Morgan look bad (defending what I see as his poor performances) but then you say Morgan needs needs Huth.

He's either good enough on his own merits or he isn't would be my view.

It's all bollocks.

Clearly our midfield is good enough and clearly what we needed was a good centre half and it's been painfully obvious that Albrighton needs to play more for some time.

Amazingly once all this is sorted, we win four on the bounce.

Not bad given we have a terrible midfield.

Thought Hazard's movement and touch were fantastic. Just shows how people see games differently I suppose

That ball to Drogba was disgusting. He didn't have much influence on the game in an attacking sense though. Aside from that pass I'm struggling to recall him putting us under any serious pressure.

That ball to Drogba was disgusting. He didn't have much influence on the game in an attacking sense though. Aside from that pass I'm struggling to recall him putting us under any serious pressure.

That pass was better than Cambis and I'd suggest he did a hell of a lot more. Hazard was a magician

Not sure I buy the whole DM argument. Yes it's good to provide protection for the back four but we simply don't have the quality that the top teams do to sacrifice a player and attack. The top teams have the players that can cause problems almost single handedly. Take Hazard, Sanchez...etc. We don't have that, and so we need to flood the box in numbers to score whereas the top teams can literally score from nowhere. It's nice to have that player in front of the back four but we lose a lot of attacking intent, and quite frankly I'd doubt we have the quality to score consistently this way. There's a reason why us , Burnley and QPR play 4-4-2 a lot because if we didn't we would all struggle to score goals since we don't have the creative players to make a difference. That's why I don't buy into a DM argument unless we have quality creative players which I don't think we have.

Not sure I buy the whole DM argument. Yes it's good to provide protection for the back four but we simply don't have the quality that the top teams do to sacrifice a player and attack. The top teams have the players that can cause problems almost single handedly. Take Hazard, Sanchez...etc. We don't have that, and so we need to flood the box in numbers to score whereas the top teams can literally score from nowhere. It's nice to have that player in front of the back four but we lose a lot of attacking intent, and quite frankly I'd doubt we have the quality to score consistently this way. There's a reason why us , Burnley and QPR play 4-4-2 a lot because if we didn't we would all struggle to score goals since we don't have the creative players to make a difference. That's why I don't buy into a DM argument unless we have quality creative players which I don't think we have.

Likewise we need the midfield to get back and help the defence.

I think too many of the football management generation are fooled into thinking a player doesn't have to have a wide range of abilities. Midfield has to help both the defence and the attack. 

Still being sarcastic? Morgan's been fine lol

You think those 2 were better than Hazard and Willian? Must be taking the piss?

Yeah Wes has done fine. Very good since Christmas in fact.

Hazard is obviously class but was quiet Weds. Willian good, but Fabregas better in my opinion. Drogba went from hopeless first half to excellent second half.

Likewise we need the midfield to get back and help the defence.

I think too many of the football management generation are fooled into thinking a player doesn't have to have a wide range of abilities. Midfield has to help both the defence and the attack. 

Absolutely. We cannot have a Matic type player because we simply don't have the creativity in our team to afford to do so. That's why we are better as attacking as a team and defending as a team. 

Well it's a selection issue.... If we're a man short in midfield then the defence is gonna come under extra pressure.

Since we've added an extra body in the middle of the pitch we've undoubtedly been a lot better.

Agreed

Most of the time between October and April its been our 2 in the middle out numbered with two wide men who are poor defensively dangling legs out and not tracking back.

Daft to lay it all at the CM's door, they have had too much on their plates, particularly James who has also had make up for Cambis lack of 'legs'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived