Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Morgan

These sort of mistakes happen to the very best at least a few times during their career.

I know I would like my career to be judged as a whole not on my few bad moments.

Wes Morgan in general has been and will continue to be a good player and Captain for us.

There's no escaping that it was a bad mistake but I wouldn't say Morgan's generally unreliable. I just think that the whole back line seems vulnerable as a four with two slowish centre-backs and a full-backs who do so many good things but still remain vulnerable at times.

I honestly think King needs to be used in front of them with Kante and Drinkwater on either side. It will give the centre-backs a simple, reliable outlet and some help at the set pieces.

It will also set a passing example for the rest of the side because there was precious little good passing, let alone passing and moving, today.

There's no escaping that it was a bad mistake but I wouldn't say Morgan's generally unreliable. I just think that the whole back line seems vulnerable as a four with two slowish centre-backs and a full-backs who do so many good things but still remain vulnerable at times.

I honestly think King needs to be used in front of them with Kante and Drinkwater on either side. It will give the centre-backs a simple, reliable outlet and some help at the set pieces.

It will also set a passing example for the rest of the side because there was precious little good passing, let alone passing and moving, today.

We tried that at Bournemouth and it was awful until we switched to a 4-4-2. King doesn't demand the ball enough, have the range of passing needed or the physicality to play just in front of the defence. He's a reliable box-to-box midfielder who will do a job for us in the Premier League, but nothing more.

Is this the same bloke who's scored such a wonderful range of goals for us - more than any other midfielder in our history including Davie Gibson? And you say he doesn't have the range of passing. King has the skills to pass the ball anyhow he likes.

It's just that he chooses the short, sharp passes because they are quickest, most accurate and a damned site better than so many misdirected passes I saw today.

As for his "physicality" I think you're talking ancient history. Just because Kingy doesn't go round breaking people's legs doesn't mean he's a pushover. Hell Danny Tiatto was the most fearsome of our midfielders in relatively recent years and he went a whole season without being on the winning team once.

No King's not a mouthy player but if he played consistently as part of a midfield five in a 3-5-2 system or something similar people would soon learn to find him when needed.

Hell, we seem to play through Mahrez consistently enough and he's on the wing! Not that I think playing through anyone is a particularly good thing. But having an outlet is and we've had no real outlet all season.       

He has played well this season so far, but over 40 games he will do this kind of thing many times

If he does that mistake again this season once, I will be very surprised.

Feel sorry for Wes, so many people love slagging him off, when he plays his heart out every match.

If he does that mistake again this season once, I will be very surprised.

Feel sorry for Wes, so many people love slagging him off, when he plays his heart out every match.

He has a track record of foooking up. We all love the guy, and want him to do well, he will foook up again. He has had a good start this season, but that was awful and unforgivable as a lro footballer

Is this the same bloke who's scored such a wonderful range of goals for us - more than any other midfielder in our history including Davie Gibson? And you say he doesn't have the range of passing. King has the skills to pass the ball anyhow he likes.

It's just that he chooses the short, sharp passes because they are quickest, most accurate and a damned site better than so many misdirected passes I saw today.

As for his "physicality" I think you're talking ancient history. Just because Kingy doesn't go round breaking people's legs doesn't mean he's a pushover. Hell Danny Tiatto was the most fearsome of our midfielders in relatively recent years and he went a whole season without being on the winning team once.

No King's not a mouthy player but if he played consistently as part of a midfield five in a 3-5-2 system or something similar people would soon learn to find him when needed.

Hell, we seem to play through Mahrez consistently enough and he's on the wing! Not that I think playing through anyone is a particularly good thing. But having an outlet is and we've had no real outlet all season.       

I never questioned King's finishing ability - it's a shame that he doesn't get into the positions that he used to - although quite what it has to do with his ability to play a holding role in front of the defence I don't know. 

If he does have the passing ability then he doesn't show it often enough. He chooses the safe, risk free option. It's why he always ends up with high passing percentages, and although it might result in us keeping possession miles from the opponents goal it just passes the responsibility of building an attack to somebody else.

As for physicality, perhaps it wasn't the right word. I mean that he doesn't put in enough tackles, break up the play enough and be energetic enough for someone playing that role. Too often the game passes him by, and this was a frequent criticism in the Championship let alone the Premier League. He'd do better in a 3-5-2 as there's more men to help him but I don't think he has the attributes to start in a 4-4-2 for a team chasing mid-table in the Premier League.

And I make no apologies for taking this topic off-track, it deserves it after being bumped after one poor game.

This thread can piss right off again. Morgan has been by far our best defender so far this season and I personally have been very impressed with him, especially considering his lack of a break during the summer. Thought he played reasonably well today as well (obviously despite the mistake)

Jesus fvcking Christ is this thread still live?

Wes has been immense this season and after we sorted the defence last season was immense then too.

Why not look at the blue eyed boy next to him at the back and ask why he left Wes to clear it when he could have put it in Row Z instead of letting it drop.

We are the only unbeaten side in the Premiership and people are picking up threads like this.......if a mis-kick is the worst we're doing, this season really is going to be amazing.

One mistake and has otherwise been exceptional, which was a result of Huth anyway (never, ever let it bounce) ... And someone bumps a 5 month old thread?

Morgan been an absolute rock, this season it's Huth who has looked questionable to me, surprising after how solid he looked last season.

Regardless, same old fault... Midfield runners causing the problems while our CBs are where they should be and these round aren't being tracked/balls intercepted until Kante comes in the middle

Morgan has been brilliant for us this season.  He's had no real break all year and has never complained once. he could easily pull an injury if he wanted.

I felt sorry for him yesterday because the one to blame was Huth. He headed the ball back when he could have headed it clear, This caught Morgan by surprise as he wasn't expecting it and we know what happened next.

Can anyone offer any insight into why Huth is performing so poorly so far. He looks half the player he was from January to May.

As to Morgan it was unfortunate but it happens in football. On a good day Kasper saves it.

This isn't a slate Wes Morgan threads but having just seen the goals on Tv again, his reaction when he sliced the ball back to kasper for their 2nd goal was a joke, stood bent over with his head in his hands, surely as a pro even if you knew you had little chance of winning the ball back you wojld at least make the effort to get back, not stand there, as I say this isn't to slate him as I reckon he's had a solid enough start to the season, just thought it was really strange

This isn't a slate Wes Morgan threads but having just seen the goals on Tv again, his reaction when he sliced the ball back to kasper for their 2nd goal was a joke, stood bent over with his head in his hands, surely as a pro even if you knew you had little chance of winning the ball back you wojld at least make the effort to get back, not stand there, as I say this isn't to slate him as I reckon he's had a solid enough start to the season, just thought it was really strange

Clearly slating him

Archived