Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

23 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Just had our 18 days camping in cornwall cancelled.  Site open but not opening the facilities so caravans and motorhomes only.  Gutted.  2020 can **** off.

Can't you just go somewhere else? 

28 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Just had our 18 days camping in cornwall cancelled.  Site open but not opening the facilities so caravans and motorhomes only.  Gutted.  2020 can **** off.

Have a look around - I am sure you will find an alternative.

Boris said that campsite facilities can be open as long as they are regularly cleaned.

7 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Have a look around - I am sure you will find an alternative.

Boris said that campsite facilities can be open as long as they are regularly cleaned.

It is up to the campsite owner whether they want to open the toilet / shower blocks.  Some are not.

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not much available now, trying to find something.  We had one of the best campsites in Cornwall booked since last year :(

Are you a member of one of the clubs? They have around 7000 little sites between them, there's always room somewhere 

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not much available now, trying to find something.  We had one of the best campsites in Cornwall booked since last year :(

Just played golf with a mate who’s booked 2 weeks camping at St Ives - says is a lovely site and it’s fully open. Worth a look? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It is up to the campsite owner whether they want to open the toilet / shower blocks.  Some are not.

Ah you're in a tent. Time to invest in a toilet tent and a solar shower, then you can go literally anywhere that's open 😊

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Ah you're in a tent. Time to invest in a toilet tent and a solar shower, then you can go literally anywhere that's open 😊

Sadly not - I have both - lots of places saying no tents.  Fortunatley found a site manned by hardy souls who can clean!  Sorted.  Not by the beach, but looks nice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

now that we are permitted (I think) to stay in holiday accomodation, I'm trying to book a holiday cottage in the Lakes or Dales in July. Prices seem to have gone through the roof! 

of course they will, demand will far exceed supply imo.

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah I think there will be massive pent up demand. £2000 for a cottage on airbnb for the week! To be honest though, I'll pay it!

I was just having a look myself, I can't warrant paying it tbh, rather stick a tent in the car. However don't think my missus would agree!

On 24/06/2020 at 09:52, stripeyfox said:

yeah I think there will be massive pent up demand. £2000 for a cottage on airbnb for the week! To be honest though, I'll pay it!

I've gone back to my childhood holiday roots and booked tonight a static caravan near great Yarmouth. 4 nights 300 quid. 

Secretly, I'm actually rather looking forward to it. Arcades. Bingo. Cabaret acts. Overweight people. It'll be fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep holiday cancelled for the second time was always a risk booking end of October, surprised TUI have made this decision so early to suspend holidays to Florida till December... but with the second spike I just guess they don't feel confident that Florida will be ready for British tourists for the next few months... dissapointed and honestly put off trying to find anywhere else till the end of the year. Got an holiday booked down in Sussex at the of August... that should go ahead... though the way the things are going I shouldn't raise my hopes up. 

No way am I paying twice the amount for a week in UK when your guaranteed  its going to be pissing down with rain all week!!!

Rather do day trips away.

Write this year off for the long term health of the family

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I've gone back to my childhood holiday roots and booked tonight a static caravan near great Yarmouth. 4 nights 300 quid. 

Secretly, I'm actually rather looking forward to it. Arcades. Bingo. Cabaret acts. Overweight people. It'll be fun.

sounds good, but ideally you'll need to get to the entertainment club early to "get your seats", then drink strong cheap cider (smuggled in, rather than purchased from the bar obviously) and then make sure to have a scrap with other punters at kicking out time for the genuine holiday experience!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Raj said:

No way am I paying twice the amount for a week in UK when your guaranteed  its going to be pissing down with rain all week!!!

Rather do day trips away.

Write this year off for the long term health of the family

Know I'm doing the whole kn obbish 'and thats from a (xxxx) fan!' but as a Northern Irish guy living in England I honesty think England is one of the most underrated places for a holiday, been to quite a few places in England but there's so much more I havent seen that I want to do eventually.

As for the weather, if you go to the Lake District with wet weather, just bring wet weather clothes and it barely impacts you.

I do get your point on prices though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Know I'm doing the whole kn obbish 'and thats from a (xxxx) fan!' but as a Northern Irish guy living in England I honesty think England is one of the most underrated places for a holiday, been to quite a few places in England but there's so much more I havent seen that I want to do eventually.

As for the weather, if you go to the Lake District with wet weather, just bring wet weather clothes and it barely impacts you.

I do get your point on prices though.

yep. in the Lakes there's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothing!

I've booked a cottage in the Lakes in the middle of nowhere.

Plan is to drive up, dump the wife, kids and dogs at the cottage, drive to the nearest town and stock up with a shit load of food and drink and then retire back to the cottage.

Spend the days seeking out the quieter fells and valleys for nice walks etc (no point in climbing Helvellyn or Skiddaw - they can be like a motorway of people in the summer) and then back to the cottage to relax

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is near enough my perfect holiday

• Like 2

On that note, any got recommendations for two people with no car for a couple of midweek nights thats easy to get to from either London and Newcastle (that isnt York)? Long story on the logic of this! Was thinking Harrogate but cant think of anywhere else.

9 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You’ll be lucky. We’re meant to be going to a Haven site in 2 weeks and although they have announced they will be open most of the amenities will be closed. No pool, no entertainment, no restaurants, no childrens activities. 

48 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

You’ll be lucky. We’re meant to be going to a Haven site in 2 weeks and although they have announced they will be open most of the amenities will be closed. No pool, no entertainment, no restaurants, no childrens activities. 

Yeah I know. I've booked it on a whim for a novelty and for 300 quid, I'm happy to take whatever I get. 

The alternative was a 'proper' holiday to, say, Spain ....pay £2k for a week and find the same problems and/or bars requiring masks and/or post covid Spanish shopping rituals that I'm not familiar with

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah I know. I've booked it on a whim for a novelty and for 300 quid, I'm happy to take whatever I get. 

The alternative was a 'proper' holiday to, say, Spain ....pay £2k for a week and find the same problems and/or bars requiring masks and/or post covid Spanish shopping rituals that I'm not familiar with

Yeah I get that. Hope the weather is good for you so you can enjoy the beach and stuff. That’s looking like our plan, setting up camp on the beach for the week, fortunately the site has access to a beach so we won’t have to drive.