Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

8 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

We are meant to be going to a Haven site on the 11th July but the sites are currently closed until the 5th July. Given the momentum at the moment I would be surprised if the sites don't open on the 6th July as planned. The only issue, and a huge one, is that Haven have already announced that when they do open they will not open the pools, bars, restaurants and there will be no activities for the children which makes it totally pointless in going. Needless to say we have agreed that move the holiday to next year and write this year off. I'm not overly fussed because I appreciate all that is going on but I feel bad for the kids.

Good call imo. It's what my lot are doing. Write the year off, try again next year. 

Sucks, but in the grand scheme of things...

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Good call imo. It's what my lot are doing. Write the year off, try again next year. 

Sucks, but in the grand scheme of things...

Yeah it does suck but I know (not personally) that there are others in far worse situations so I'm just going with the flow. At least know we can meet in larger groups we'll be able to meet as a family and have a BBQ or something, albeit at a distance! Which actually if you think about it, makes the whole rule pointless. I can go to my parents but can't go in the house or stay over, but I can go on holiday with them and share a chalet for a week? How does that even make sense? 

18 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Yeah it does suck but I know (not personally) that there are others in far worse situations so I'm just going with the flow. At least know we can meet in larger groups we'll be able to meet as a family and have a BBQ or something, albeit at a distance! Which actually if you think about it, makes the whole rule pointless. I can go to my parents but can't go in the house or stay over, but I can go on holiday with them and share a chalet for a week? How does that even make sense? 

For the last bit I have no idea. Not been reading up on the latest rules. Missus works at a care home so we're having to be super boring. lol

BBQ sounds good though. Reckon that's what we'll be doing. We've still all got the time off work where we'd booked our holiday. Might aswell make use of it. :D

9 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

8 hours ago, Innovindil said:

For the last bit I have no idea. Not been reading up on the latest rules. Missus works at a care home so we're having to be super boring. lol

BBQ sounds good though. Reckon that's what we'll be doing. We've still all got the time off work where we'd booked our holiday. Might aswell make use of it. :D

Get the kids involved..and ask where they would like to go for Day or 2-3 day trips...Look out of the box..!!

Look for where not too many People might not go...Spend a Bit more in a few more Short trips....Sleep in tree houses,

or a Tippis go to Forests and small lakes.

Or rarely visited Coastal areas.Ditto if you have no kids.

Small unknown areas with Local Museums or old ruins can also be fascinating and Convenient for pairs/children ...

Not hours/time lost where interest or concentration fades quickly. Invest in binoculars and Books for either bird Watch (morning/afternoon/evening watch)

coastal Watch for Dolphins/porpoise/small Whales or again birds,or various Boats und ships..Chateaus/houses/small Castles .Find and create new interest for oneself,Partner or family....

If seem some get bogged down,in making and being worried on more points on a failed Holiday than making a successful holiday.

A meadow is as Good as a beach,a small hidden beach with rocks,can be more interesting than a Fields of adventure-parks,a small villages playground,can be

more individual for kids than the screaming loud Open parks...Pairs can find those nook & crannies of interest in forests, or Village trips...

Why be One of 100.000s going to the headlining destinations,Why Not be the ones who discover small suprising packages off their own back,and ideas..

Kids developing their own imagination,pairs going back to the roots of romantic travel,without the travelburo doing your thinking.....Use internet/books to create ones own Intinary .If your 18 or 70,Pick up the Backpack Open the Front door,and just go..!!!

Enjoy the rain,the wind as much as the rays of the sun..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

We are meant to be going to a Haven site on the 11th July but the sites are currently closed until the 5th July. Given the momentum at the moment I would be surprised if the sites don't open on the 6th July as planned. The only issue, and a huge one, is that Haven have already announced that when they do open they will not open the pools, bars, restaurants and there will be no activities for the children which makes it totally pointless in going. Needless to say we have agreed that move the holiday to next year and write this year off. I'm not overly fussed because I appreciate all that is going on but I feel bad for the kids.

11th july is a while away, surely haven can’t cone out with statements about the pubs and fairs already???  Which heaven are you staying?? As fun fairs at seasides plan to open in july, if pubs etc are open everywhere else surly they will not want to loose custom, even if its all outside, if your staying at a haven that is near a big seaside town, the chances are things are gonna be open, sod it have your holiday 

We booked Yarmouth last week for mid August, hoping everything sort of normal then, other then social distancing (maybe 1 metre by then)

Edited by lestajigs

6 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

11th july is a while away, surely haven can’t cone out with statements about the pubs and fairs already???  Which heaven are you staying?? As fun fairs at seasides plan to open in july, if pubs etc are open everywhere else surly they will not want to loose custom, even if its all outside, if your staying at a haven that is near a big seaside town, the chances are things are gonna be open, sod it have your holiday 

We booked Yarmouth last week for mid August, hoping everything sort of normal then, other then social distancing (maybe 1 metre by then)

I suspect most pubs won't be open in July.

We are booked to go camping in Cornwall mide August, so fingers crossed.  All about the shared facilities rules for us.

11 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

We are due to go to the one in Devon. It's on their website in black and white for which facilities will be open and closed. We would essentially be paying just to stay there and have to go off site every day to do stuff, which isn't so bad as long as the weather is ok but you pay those prices to be able to enjoy the on-site facilities. If I wanted to spend time off site so much I wouldn't stay there. 

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I suspect most pubs won't be open in July.

We are booked to go camping in Cornwall mide August, so fingers crossed.  All about the shared facilities rules for us.

I dunno, i can see 70% of pubs, opening in july tbf, absolutely love cornwall, been Newquay a couple of times last couple of years, think you’ll be alright

2 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Looking at booking a weekend away with the lads as soon as this is all over. Has anyone ever booked a country house with games room, bbq, hot tub, etc. in the UK?

Not with the lads , but there's a similar thing at center parcs. Not really a boozy place and quite expensive mind. 

On 14/03/2020 at 19:10, Paninistickers said:

I suspect the general public of Italy and Spain will be soon be bored of extreme measures (as our own government predict) and return to normal. 

I fully expect my summer jaunts to Mallorca to go ahead in June and July without hitch. I just cannot see a situation where the Mallorcan economy closes.its door to tourists

Quack quack oops. 

Today was the first day of my first Mallorca jaunt. 

• Sad 2

On 03/06/2020 at 15:10, Wrighty22 said:

We are due to go to the one in Devon. It's on their website in black and white for which facilities will be open and closed. We would essentially be paying just to stay there and have to go off site every day to do stuff, which isn't so bad as long as the weather is ok but you pay those prices to be able to enjoy the on-site facilities. If I wanted to spend time off site so much I wouldn't stay there. 

If you are limited on the site there are loads of nice places to visit in devon, do you stay on site all holiday then? If so why go devon not nearer? 
You might be lucky as it says on website they will lift things in government guidelines l, personally think things will be open mid july, and if you went then you would come back glad you went, and say good job I listened to lestajigs 😂

• Haha 1

On 09/06/2020 at 10:53, jonthefox said:

Anyone ever been to Rodney bay in st Lucia ? 

Been there for the day a few times, but not stayed there.

To be honest, it's all pretty decent around there! 

(If you do go, make sure you take in a trip to the Coal Pot...probably my favourite restaurant in the world) 

On 03/06/2020 at 15:10, Wrighty22 said:

We were probably going to be at the same one, at the same time. Finlakes? 

We managed to postpone ours to next year and roll the deposit over too which was a nice little bonus. Regardless as to whether they were going to be open we decided we’d be limited to what we could do whilst down there so it’d be a lot of money to just stay in a lodge for a week. 

Edited by Wet Trump

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

It's come out that the mayor of Benidorm has said that holiday makers will be welcome to return to the resort from the 1st July while British holiday makers will have to wait until 10th July. 

Think quite a few countries are doing this. Malta have opened their borders up for quite a few European countries from 1st July and I'm hoping UK will follow soon after! 

17 hours ago, lestajigs said:

If you are limited on the site there are loads of nice places to visit in devon, do you stay on site all holiday then? If so why go devon not nearer? 
You might be lucky as it says on website they will lift things in government guidelines l, personally think things will be open mid july, and if you went then you would come back glad you went, and say good job I listened to lestajigs 😂

Depending on what is open it may still happen but I can't see pubs and restaurants being open by July. I know there is a lot to do in Devon but it's frustrating in that you pay the haven prices to enjoy the on site facilities and none of them will be open and available to use. Plus you would rely quite heavily on the weather being half decent to do most things. 

16 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

We were probably going to be at the same one, at the same time. Finlakes? 

We managed to postpone ours to next year and roll the deposit over too which was a nice little bonus. Regardless as to whether they were going to be open we decided we’d be limited to what we could do whilst down there so it’d be a lot of money to just stay in a lodge for a week. 

We're going to Devon Cliffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Holidaying in England for the first time in about 10 years this year after recent news. Me and the mrs are travelling down and we’re staying at these little log cabin things in Waltham on the Wolds. Log fire, log heated hot tub, bbq, fire pit.  Bit of nice weather and some ice cold ales and i won’t even have to think that I should have been in the Algarve when we’re there. 

This was the compromise as I was gagging for a few days in a static caravan at Searls in Hunstanton but she wasn’t having any of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Holidaying in England for the first time in about 10 years this year after recent news. Me and the mrs are travelling down and we’re staying at these little log cabin things in Waltham on the Wolds. Log fire, log heated hot tub, bbq, fire pit.  Bit of nice weather and some ice cold ales and i won’t even have to think that I should have been in the Algarve when we’re there. 

This was the compromise as I was gagging for a few days in a static caravan at Searls in Hunstanton but she wasn’t having any of it. 

To be fair that sounds class, I’ve done a few of these and if you get a good one it’s great.

One of them I’ve been to is called Hidden River Lodges in Carlisle. No phone single, huge cabin on the edge of a river and a hot tub, not cheap but I’d recommend it to anyone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

To be fair that sounds class, I’ve done a few of these and if you get a good one it’s great.

One of them I’ve been to is called Hidden River Lodges in Carlisle. No phone single, huge cabin on the edge of a river and a hot tub, not cheap but I’d recommend it to anyone.

I’m really looking forward to it actually as long as we get the weather. Think my parents are going to come over and see us whilst we’re there too which we wouldn’t have got if we’d gone abroad.