Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

I am going round in circles and can't decide what to do this summer. I need to be careful though as my work contract is such that I don't have a specified amount of holiday, and so if I don't take time off there won't be anyone chasing me remind me to do so and as it stands I haven't really taken anything other than bank holidays off since last August. 

We were supposed to be away this week, but that obviously got cancelled. As we won't be going abroad anywhere, ideally I would love a centre parcs trip, but that doesn't appeal as much right now because of not being able to use the pool... I think I have also got quite tight over lockdown, and just looking at the prices online and knowing that there will still be restrictions in place, just nothing is capturing my imagination right now. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Mostar is beautiful and the whole of Bosnia is worth exploring. One of my favourite countries in Europe.

I really fancy going there. I’m thinking of using Dubrovnik as a base then Visiting Mostar and Montenegro 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Malta being on the list of countries exempt from quarantine is promising. Going in September so hope they reciprocate by then. 

Make sure you visit Valletta . Well worth the effort. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Malta being on the list of countries exempt from quarantine is promising. Going in September so hope they reciprocate by then. 

This was a post I wrote for @Raja while back:

On 21/01/2020 at 18:01, Raj said:

Booked a week in Malta in Easter.

Hotel near St.Pauls bay.

Anyone been Malta- any tips etc

Car hire is really cheap, and is probably the best way to get around. They drive on the left like us but they drive like maniacs, there's very little roundabout discipline and apart from the main roads the roads are pretty narrow. If you do hire I'd recommend doing it through Zest and paying for the extra insurance, it's about £15 and means you don't need to worry if anything happens. The main companies are at the airport but there are plenty of horror stories about them ripping people off, I've hired in Malta using Zest plenty of times and never had a problem. 

Buses are modern, reliable and cheap. Apart from the express services though they take ages. 

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! 

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go! They're fab, lots of food, music and fab fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them! 

Hth, give me a shout if you want to know anything more 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

This was a post I wrote for @Raja while back:

On 21/01/2020 at 18:01, Raj said:

Booked a week in Malta in Easter.

Hotel near St.Pauls bay.

Anyone been Malta- any tips etc

Car hire is really cheap, and is probably the best way to get around. They drive on the left like us but they drive like maniacs, there's very little roundabout discipline and apart from the main roads the roads are pretty narrow. If you do hire I'd recommend doing it through Zest and paying for the extra insurance, it's about £15 and means you don't need to worry if anything happens. The main companies are at the airport but there are plenty of horror stories about them ripping people off, I've hired in Malta using Zest plenty of times and never had a problem. 

Buses are modern, reliable and cheap. Apart from the express services though they take ages. 

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! 

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go! They're fab, lots of food, music and fab fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them! 

Hth, give me a shout if you want to know anything more 

Great, thank you!

Gozo is definitely on the list to visit, had that recommendation from another friend too.

I’m supposed to be in Verona right now. Sitting in some square,  nice meal with a couple of drinks.

I have a week off in a couple of weeks and I’ve no idea what to do. I usually go away because I’m going to some event. We’re in July and I still have 80% of my holiday entitlement left. I’m taking a week of just because work want me to, Bank Holidays aside I’ve had one day off since the middle of February.  

I live my life to go out and experience things, these past few months have become increasingly  horrendous and the monotony is getting me down as there’s no end in sight. The current situation in Leicester hasn’t helped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Great, thank you!

Gozo is definitely on the list to visit, had that recommendation from another friend too.

My lady friend has been she said Gozo is lovely.

Personally I should of been going to Sicily next week and really disappointed not to be going.

Off to Gran Canaria in October all being well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Livid said:

I’m supposed to be in Verona right now. Sitting in some square,  nice meal with a couple of drinks.

I have a week off in a couple of weeks and I’ve no idea what to do. I usually go away because I’m going to some event. We’re in July and I still have 80% of my holiday entitlement left. I’m taking a week of just because work want me to, Bank Holidays aside I’ve had one day off since the middle of February.  

I live my life to go out and experience things, these past few months have become increasingly  horrendous and the monotony is getting me down as there’s no end in sight. The current situation in Leicester hasn’t helped. 

Dont worry, there's always next year and early this potentially.

Due to my work's policy I had to take a week off at the start of June and thought the same as you but to be honest it felt great having the week doing nothing at home, first time I'd done it in years and felt like I needed it due to a bit of lockdown fatigue. Pick something to focus on for a week if its the monotony that you want to avoid, hope you enjoy it anyway!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Livid said:

Agreed on all of that mate, even with me being outside the lockdown zone I’m ****ed off with it all.

I won’t say how nice Verona is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I went Dubrovnik in May and the weather was decent and it wasn’t too crowded. Nice play and well worth a visit but it’s not somewhere I would go back to.

Just across the water from Dubrovnik is a gorgeous little town called Cavtat. We have stayed there twice now. We pop over to Dubrovnik on the water once or twice during the visit.

Avoid Dubrovnik at peak season though - really hot and really busy.

Edited by Big Dave

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

Great, thank you!

Let me know how it goes for you.

Hopefully  we can go next year...( not me and you, I meant me and my family!!!!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Livid said:

Can empathise with that entirety. However I take solace in the fact I'm going to make 2021mental. For this year, I'm using summer leave to go to places I never would have bothered with, Belfast, Jersey and Guernsey. Overnight trip to each

• Like 1