Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

9 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Cape Town is pretty special. Pricier than the rest of SA but some great sights and beaches.

Seeing the pictures of Table Mountain when England were playing cricket in its shadow made me want to visit even more. Looked beautiful.

So cheap though elsewhere. Especially food and drink. Think we went out one night and spent the equivalent of about £30 and that included 3-course meal and quite a few rounds. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I'll be going to South Africa for a couple of months as soon as possible - hopefully over Christmas.

Incredible country

You ever been Durban? I was looking at some flights a couple of.nights ago. I fancied the randomness of it and the Indian Ocean

Is it safe?!

Edited by Paninistickers

On 06/05/2020 at 20:09, StanSP said:

Yes. Agreed. Went in 2016 to Durban, Nelspruit, Lanseria, Kruger Park.

Would love to go back to some of the other bigger cities - Pretoria, Jo'burg, Cape Town. Maybe take in some cricket if possible!

How did you travel between these places if you dont mind me asking mate? Me and the missus have been on about going to South Africa for a while now and thinking about hiring a car for a few weeks whilst doing a safari at some point. Did it all seem relatively safe where you went? 

Edited by walkerleeds

1 minute ago, walkerleeds said:

How did you travel between these places if you dont mind me asking mate? Me and the missus have been on about going to South Africa for a while now and thinking about hiring a car for a few weeks whilst doing a safari at some point. Did it all seem relatively safe where you went? 

Definitely get a car.

Is it just the 2 of you?

There were 3 of us with a fair bit of luggage so hired a pick-up truck. Depending where you go, it's pretty much all you'll see in terms of cars/trucks on the main roads so might be worth looking in to hiring one of them. You won't stand out as a tourist - the advice we were given was to get a white car/pick-up truck and don't stop on the motorways/main roads if you can avoid it! If you see someone flagging motorists down, ignore them and don't stop - the people that flag you down will most likely want to mug you or not let you leave til you pay them off.

Genuinely though, having said that, we did feel safe everywhere we went. Never once felt like we were gonna get mugged/followed/beaten up etc. Even driving through a township on the way to a crocodile park it was fine. 

It's cheaper to go on a group trip for safari park (for Kruger Park for 3 of us it was anyway). Lunch provided and you're there all day (early start I hasten to add, up at 4am as that's when animals are likely to be around when it's cooler). 

3 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Driving is mental in SA, I know lots of people do it along the very touristy garden route and have no problem with it, so you'll be fine, but the major motorways and inner city driving are 'hectic' as the locals would say. You often see people driving whilst reading a paper, looking the other way etc. Pedestrains don't look and just storm out into the road. Mental

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Driving is mental in SA, I know lots of people do it along the very touristy garden route and have no problem with it, so you'll be fine, but the major motorways and inner city driving are 'hectic' as the locals would say. You often see people driving whilst reading a paper, looking the other way etc. Pedestrains don't look and just storm out into the road. Mental

I drove on 3 motorways from Durban to Nelspruit, hitting close to Johannesburg and don't recall experiencing that kind of stuff at all lol 

It got 'hectic' towards the city but that was to be expected given it's one of the biggest cities in the country. Sat in traffic for a bit but that was normal. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 18:38, grobyfox1990 said:

I had someone nearly crash into the side of me as two roads merged and she just couldn’t be taxed to look. Still have no idea how I didn’t hit her.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Ryanair resuming flights around Europe from July 1st. 

Ryanair

Aiming. Pretty clear they are testing to water to see what governments response will be.

And union for that matter, how do the pilots socially distance?

Edited by Costock_Fox

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Aiming. Pretty clear they are testing to water to see what governments response will be.

Spain have apparently just announced a 2 week quarantine, so a holiday to spain will now need 6 weeks lol

29 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Ryanair resuming flights around Europe from July 1st. 

Ryanair

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Interesting to see how it pans out. July seems very optimistic. 

Another barrier to travel is being able to get insurance - even if you can get a flight. As it stands it is practically impossible to get cover for Covid-19

36 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Spain have apparently just announced a 2 week quarantine, so a holiday to spain will now need 6 weeks lol

For people working from home it could work but would still be a month unless you get a private villa and are happy just sitting by the pool for 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if the new regulations/advice would permit this:

Say I wanted to rent a cottage in the Lake District for a week. Would we be allowed to go there? Obviously pubs are shut but that would not be deal breaker. Just being away and able to go for walks (whilst distancing) would be very welcome!

EDIT : apparently not

Holidays are still banned despite coronavirus lockdown restrictions being eased, the Government has said.

A document published by the Cabinet Office stated that staying overnight at a location other than the place you live "for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed". This also includes "visiting second homes".

Asked whether people could rent self-catering holiday homes in this period, the Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "No, the rules allow for you to make visits to enjoy parks or something with pleasure status but you can't stay overnight."

Edited by stripeyfox

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Looking at Magaluf for a stag do next year (not mine), been a while since I last went. I can't wait:beer:

Might have changed a bit. Think it has done since I last went (2017). There's stricter curfews and rules, you can't pile on to the street any more when drinking, Noise curfews as well I think. Happy hours have gone as well. Various similar places have followed suit too - Ayia Napa, Ibiza to name a couple.

Even if they want that kind of stag do, far better places to go!

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Might have changed a bit. Think it has done since I last went (2017). There's stricter curfews and rules, you can't pile on to the street any more when drinking, Noise curfews as well I think. Happy hours have gone as well. Various similar places have followed suit too - Ayia Napa, Ibiza to name a couple.

Yeah i went in 2015 I think, they'd just stopped the drinking in the street a few weeks before. Went Ibiza in 2018 too and everything just closed at like 2am, only one or two places allowed to stay open. It's not my first choice, I'd rather go somewhere seedy in Eastern Europe, but I'll go anywhere for something to look forward too.

22 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Will we be allowed to travel though? Could be a lot of empty planes 

Could depend on the country you're travelling to. Greece for example have said no to us until our infection rate comes down.

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Could depend on the country you're travelling to. Greece for example have said no to us until our infection rate comes down.

I've booked Zante for august. I had an email today and fair play to TUI , who said i could cancel , rearrange , or get a voucher (plus 20%) at any time .

• Like 1

Anyone have issues with changing flights with BA? Friend's wedding (non UK) got postponed from August this year until May 2021 but I cant change it online and their voucher system states I'm not eligible for a voucher to the same value of my flight :dunno:

Don't even want to cancel and get money back, just want to change it....

23 hours ago, StanSP said:

Funny place. I've been for a quick boys weekend for the last three years (well in palma nova) ....I love it and loathe it. Fabulous location. Great beaches and some decent places to eat.  Not half as much totty tho as you'd think. You'll be disappointed if you're going expecting fanny on tap.

June when I go is full of exam celebrating kids. Christ alone knows what the parents are thinking in allowing them to go.