Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Anyone got any experience of cycling self guided tours in holland?

Would like to get back over to get some games in once we can get ferries and the football is back. But thinking of staying a bit longer and maybe cycling between the cities instead of using the train.

Can’t help you but it sounds a fantastic idea! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Anyone got any experience of cycling self guided tours in holland?

Would like to get back over to get some games in once we can get ferries and the football is back. But thinking of staying a bit longer and maybe cycling between the cities instead of using the train.

https://www.holland-cycling.com/?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi73MG6nZ3pAhVrURUIHTK3AY4Q9QF6BAgFEAI

Use this has a guide to help...Sud Holland / Limburg is hilly,but quite beautifull..

North Netherlands, friesland,Groningen have their own dynamic & history.Can be quite Windy near the coast...

When I was younger,I use to do Sand yachting...and kite-yachting,though Now probably kite surfing ( Never did that),gets older & younger Adventurers Adrenalin going...

Camping easy...many sites have 1-3 day,Short Stay lodges,for cyclists...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So, do i cough up the 2500 quid or lose the 700 quid deposit?

this is the dilemma for lots of people. 

if you don't pay you lose the deposit. If you do pay, you probably only getting a voucher to be used at a later date.

I don't see any meaningul foreign travel until the end of the year at least. 

Where/when were you due to go?

17 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

think i might have had a quarter life crisis, blaming lockdown, but booked a one way ticket to australia for start of nov. stupid or brave hoping that travel isn’t too affected when we get to that point 

They've opened up their borders I think? To NZ only but they could recover fairly quickly should they avoid a second wave... 

16 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

think i might have had a quarter life crisis, blaming lockdown, but booked a one way ticket to australia for start of nov. stupid or brave hoping that travel isn’t too affected when we get to that point 

Gonna do the same I think. Just book a random long haul with BA for hopefully a song and sit back and wait for lockdown to be lifted. If not, money/voucher back.

Fancy south Africa as somewhere fairly random

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

this is the dilemma for lots of people. 

if you don't pay you lose the deposit. If you do pay, you probably only getting a voucher to be used at a later date.

I don't see any meaningul foreign travel until the end of the year at least. 

Where/when were you due to go?

End of July. They've got us over a barrel because it's 12 weeks prior to the flights when the amount is due, we all know there ain't going to be any flights to crete by then, but they've cancelled flights up until June (not really the holiday period for most), it's fairly obvious, so you pay the remainder then probably have to claim it back through atol which leaves TUI sitting on all the cash and we all have to wait 6 months for the money back. Then, after all's said and done, who really wants to go to Europe at the moment, we know what's going on in this country and what to do about it, but Greece, what's the true story from countries trying to protect their main incomes i.e. holidaymakers.

Edited by yorkie1999

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

Supposedly going on a stag in July. The stag is adamant it’s going ahead. 

I was meant to be on one in April, for a July wedding, wedding now gone as well.

Stag do now Nov, wedding june 2021.

I'm meant to be going to Toulouse for a stag in a month's time. Some people's Ryanair flights have been cancelled. Nothing about ours. 

Luckily we didn't properly book anything - had planned to see a rugby game there but obviously no sport allowed til Sept.

Will end up being cancelled - also luckily we have free cancellation for the apartments. The wedding is late August which hopefully should still go ahead.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

End of July. They've got us over a barrel because it's 12 weeks prior to the flights when the amount is due, we all know there ain't going to be any flights to crete by then, but they've cancelled flights up until June (not really the holiday period for most), it's fairly obvious, so you pay the remainder then probably have to claim it back through atol which leaves TUI sitting on all the cash and we all have to wait 6 months for the money back. Then, after all's said and done, who really wants to go to Europe at the moment, we know what's going on in this country and what to do about it, but Greece, what's the true story from countries trying to protect their main incomes i.e. holidaymakers.

I'd happily go to europe. Or anywhere else. Regardless of the local infection figures accuracy. 

I'm sticking to.social distancing and self isolation for neighbourlyness and community spirit to protect high risk groups....not my own health. From a selfish personal health point of view, I'd be quite happy to risk catching it in exchange for.living a.life again.

After a long battle with a third-party travel company, we finally got money back for flights to Florida which we should have been on Friday just gone. It was a total nightmare and thankfully aside from vouchers, we have only lost £70.

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

34 years ago I got engaged in Bremen....

My Darling Wife still has the ring...  Unique Design und Made over the long weekend we were there..Jeweller who designed all their own rings.

They were in the old Town.

Bremen was totally destroyed in the War,but they rebuilt,nearly all their older houses & famous buildings...

Maybe Not so hectic as Hamburg,though Hanseatic brothers.

Both are "Frei stadt"...City only answerable for its own admin,financial,organisation,no County- ties.

If you have time,also go out of Bremen,go to Bremen-Haven and Cuxhaven...On The River Weser..so Boat trips galore..

Werder-Bremen & Otto Rehagel (successful coach,also for the European- Champions Greece) were a strong Club and played some Great football,

if you go in the season,try and get tickets...

There are a few good Tea-Houses ( tea-trading was big business).. Quaint  is the the Teestuebchen,but there are more Tea houses,all having their own twist,

Plus nice and homely...You want to do a self-education,Tea House crawl, Drinking all various types,various presentations,this is the town...

Though the Coffee Houses arent bad either..Then for the more civilised,One can participate in a gud ol' Beck's (Haake-Beck) beer tour...

Bottcherstrasse only 110 meters, area Schnoor  in the Altstadt. German old building architecture,a must do a Photo with the Bronze Stadtmusikanten..

Then if you like a Good museum, go to the Uebersee-museum,Bremen was One of Great Trading Centers of europe,you can go around the world,when you visit

The Uebersee - museum......A Snippet of what to expect...

Great reply. Thanks for taking the time to share that info. 
It's not a place that's ever been on my radar but some some lovely looking photos on Instagram.  
Doubt I'll be planning any trips until next year but I'll bookmark your response. 🤝

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Where to?

Marbs innit. Not happening for me. I’ve got one booked in August for Ibiza for a friends wedding & Salou in October. Think the October one will be fine. 

13 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’m not bothered about travelling anywhere. We are now the worst infected European country when it comes to death. So it can’t get much worse. Going to a different country and potentially getting the virus isn’t an issue for me, just as likely to get it here. All the European countries that were badly affected are ahead of us so even they’ll be a lot better off in the coming months. 

• Like 1

Saved all of my annual leave for a European tour but that clearly isn’t going to happen so it looks like I’ll have the best part of November off. 

Ive got a BOGOF on BA flights that I’m tempted to book for November as I should be able to get a bargain should it go ahead.

7 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I'll be going to South Africa for a couple of months as soon as possible - hopefully over Christmas.

Incredible country

Yes. Agreed. Went in 2016 to Durban, Nelspruit, Lanseria, Kruger Park.

Would love to go back to some of the other bigger cities - Pretoria, Jo'burg, Cape Town. Maybe take in some cricket if possible!

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes. Agreed. Went in 2016 to Durban, Nelspruit, Lanseria, Kruger Park.

Would love to go back to some of the other bigger cities - Pretoria, Jo'burg, Cape Town. Maybe take in some cricket if possible!

Cape Town is pretty special. Pricier than the rest of SA but some great sights and beaches.