Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

15 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Going to become a dad for the 1st time in July.

How soon after have people taken a holiday? We have travelled extensively over the years just the two of us and I'm trying to get my head around how we continue that with a small human being 

We have done cruises from Southampton.

We went on the Fjords, baltics, portugal/spain and northern europe all without flying, its an ideal trip with the baby as every thing is done for you plus there is the creche on board.

He is nearly 2.5 and are starting to travel properly again now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

How soon after have people taken a holiday? We have travelled extensively over the years just the two of us and I'm trying to get my head around how we continue that with a small human being 

It’s all about the prep. Maldives at 6 months wasn’t an issue. I took two of them to Borneo, one 18 months and the other 4 years old. They’ve mostly been everywhere I’ve been and it’s never been a problem. Europe is easy, less flight time as I’ve found that to be one of the hardest parts. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Congrats!!

Main advice, is continue to do what you love and take them along for the ride. Be fully prepared that it won't be the same as when you travelled as just the two of you though. (Not saying better or worse, but obviously provisions have to be made, and those provisions are greater the younger they are).

We waited until our first was 18 months, but no reason for you to wait any longer than you want to. 

Flights the obvious annoyance but not as bad as most make out.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Do it while they are very young as age 2-4 is tricky we have found. Gets easier after that again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

probably been posted but just in case 

Holidaymakers going to EU caught out by 10-year-passport rule https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68658209

This isn't a recent change. I'm not sure if it's just me but, if I'd been this level of an idiot I would keep it quiet not go running to the BBC.

Does anyone actually accept personal responsibility these days? It tells you in a good selection of places to check your passport validity, check if you need a visa etc. The responsibility lies with the traveller to do this.

4 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

This isn't a recent change. I'm not sure if it's just me but, if I'd been this level of an idiot I would keep it quiet not go running to the BBC.

Does anyone actually accept personal responsibility these days? It tells you in a good selection of places to check your passport validity, check if you need a visa etc. The responsibility lies with the traveller to do this.

i think this is where you have time left on your passport but it was issued more than ten years ago because a decade ago, the passport office would issue renewals 9 months ahead - hence the passport was valid for between 10 years and 10 years and 9 months. 

if my passport expired this december then id not be bothering to renew it ahead of a trip in the next few months.  but if it was issued in march 2014 then i woudlnt be allowed to travel !  

i think .......

8 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Logically true, realistically incorrect. Back when the UK Gov did not rip you off at every opportunity, you could carry unused months forward when renewing. Also, many countries require a certain amount of time left on your passport. Therefore you could have had a passport issued a decade and 6 months ago, meet all the validity rules at check in, then be turned away at the gate.

It's easy when you go on a spoon-fed package holiday, plus not everyone has the capacity/ability/lack of anxiety to navigate all these changes, that's why articles like this and people like MSE are vital in highlighting them.

My passport is full so I have to get a new one with 3 years of my old one o/s. So it would have hit me as I should have a passport dated Apr 24, 10 years term + 3 years which I already paid for. But as UK Gov only exist to skin their people to the bone, I lose out on 3 years and this rule won't hit me.

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i think this is where you have time left on your passport but it was issued more than ten years ago because a decade ago, the passport office would issue renewals 9 months ahead - hence the passport was valid for between 10 years and 10 years and 9 months. 

if my passport expired this december then id not be bothering to renew it ahead of a trip in the next few months.  but if it was issued in march 2014 then i woudlnt be allowed to travel !  

i think .......

Correct. Historically they added a few months so that if you renewed early you weren't penalised. Which was surprisingly consumer friendly for the Gov.

My passport was issued Jan '18, it expires May '28. Under the old rules, I was fine to travel up to Jan/Feb '28. Now it's Sept '27.

But I know that because it's been published, a lot. The travel websites tell you to check. Lots of people have publicised it since the change came into effect.

If I fail to check, it's my fault, not the airline or passport control. Mine. And I get that people can make a mistake, fine, we all do it. It's the blaming of others, which riles me. I think this is one for the what grinds my gears thread...

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

We was a bit like this last year and ended up going abroad four times in Europe with our now 21 month old. We had a family holiday booked and was worried about the flight, so we booked Brusslels as it's only an hour...he slept straight through both ways 😀

Certain things got easier as he got a little older (no formula and less to pack for example) but he was a little harder to entertain mid flight as he wanted to be off walking. We tried to get early flights to help with sleeping more on the plane which did work! Public transport, trains and driving was easier as he had things to see.

We got apartments so we could put him to bed and still have space to relax ourselves. Also tried to keep to the same meal times as at home to help plan. 

Just got back from Malaga a couple weeks back and apart from late nights out we don't really change too much of our holidays! He was better on this flight as he could be kept entertained by things for longer. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Correct. Historically they added a few months so that if you renewed early you weren't penalised. Which was surprisingly consumer friendly for the Gov.

My passport was issued Jan '18, it expires May '28. Under the old rules, I was fine to travel up to Jan/Feb '28. Now it's Sept '27.

But I know that because it's been published, a lot. The travel websites tell you to check. Lots of people have publicised it since the change came into effect.

If I fail to check, it's my fault, not the airline or passport control. Mine. And I get that people can make a mistake, fine, we all do it. It's the blaming of others, which riles me. I think this is one for the what grinds my gears thread...

You cannot check in to a flight without being sold an extra bag, car hire, hotel package, a place on the bench for a pre-season friendly, speedy boarding, security VIP lane, Rachid Ghezzal on loan for 6 months, a fragrance, valet parking, a signed picture of Jon Rudkin, priority baggage, £10 of onboard vouchers for £9.76, upfront seat, a vasectomy and sports equipment in the hold.

But you can check in if you breach travel guidelines?!?!?!"?!?!?!?!?!?!

Come on.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Congrats my dude. From like 0-12 months, they're basically a temperamental potato. The big difference in travel is how much stuff you need to bring everywhere. Think of all the stuff you and your partner take on vacation, now double that. That is about how much stuff you'll be traveling with. For that reason, and others, we found traveling in a car to be much easier than flying. So your options are more limited on where to go, but the plus side is they are actually easier to manage than when they get older. You can very easily take them into a restaurant, a brewery, a beach, etc. and just chill. Sure, the baby will have an occasional meltdown, but they'd be having that at home too. 

Once they start crawling, walking and voicing an opinion, your vacation becomes their vacation. You plan everything around when they need to eat and when they need to slept. Most of the stuff you will be doing is related to their interests. Staying at Airbnb type places is vastly preferred to hotels because after they go to bed in one room, you and the missus have the rest of the house. Bring back some beer/wine, sit out on the patio or in the garden, and enjoy yourselves. They are still going to wake you up at the ass crack of dawn, but you can definitely have more fun then being trapped in a hotel room from 7pm-6am. 

Being a parent is hard, but my son is about to turn 4 and he's an absolute blast to be around... most of the time lol

• Like 2

On 24/03/2024 at 12:05, CosbehFox said:

With the guys doing multiple destination trips, yeah these places are worthy visiting but in my opinion you don’t do somewhere like Florence justice visiting it for ten hours. 

Particularly in Italy where your time is best spent slow and bars/restaurants have breaks in the day. Both Florence and Rome of course dominated by tourists (bovril’s recommendations here are useful with Italy in terms of hidden gems) 

Yes, agree with that, we’re spending at least 2 nights in each city (only 1 in Rome as it will be very busy). That’ll give plenty of time to see the sights, whilst sampling the local cuisine & vino ! 

Edited by STEVIE B

• 2 weeks later...

Week in this country in July for a family of 4 is about a grand.

But adding on everything to somewhere decent in Europe will be the same if not more.

My lot dont like it too hot so looks like another staycation and hoping the weather holds up!

1 hour ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Going Woodhall Spa next weekend, any recommendations around the area?

Are you golfing there? It's on my bucket list, one of the top 10 courses in the UK

On 27/03/2024 at 10:43, Lako42 said:

Went with our first at 12 weeks old to Spain. It was a doddle and was a bit like being a celebrity. Absolutely everybody loved us at every restaurant and bar. Cheat code for popularity. 

20 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Brussels booked for mid May, planning on visiting Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp as well

Ghent and Bruges are class, I’d try to prioritise them as well as Brussels if I was you. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Are you golfing there? It's on my bucket list, one of the top 10 courses in the UK

I'm afraid not. Wife, kids & inlaw's for a 40th, we've got a lodge n hot tub

I'd seen it was a good course will have to try another time.

Been recommended Tattershall Castle.

• Like 1

Ive been getting twatted in Menorca.

Im off to Malaga on 24th April

The Mrs is fooking off to the poooonjabb on the 4th May, so me and the boy are off to Leicester for the game and some fun afterwards.

Happy days

10 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Brussels booked for mid May, planning on visiting Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp as well

Eurostar?

Echo whats been said about Ghent- amazing city!