Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

The Jurassic Coast (World Heritage Site) running from East Devon to Dorset has some wonderful views as well as a fine display of our geological history. Take the kids fossil hunting along Lulworth Cove, lunch by Durdle Door. Some fantastic beaches in Devon as well at Woolacombe and Croyde amongst others.

• Like 1

The Jurassic Coast (World Heritage Site) running from East Devon to Dorset has some wonderful views as well as a fine display of our geological history. Take the kids fossil hunting along Lulworth Cove, lunch by Durdle Door. Some fantastic beaches in Devon as well at Woolacombe and Croyde amongst others.

Nice. I remember Woolacombe and Ilfracombe as a kid.

And in answer to your original question, yes I still like a British seaside holiday!

• Like 1

OK, now I need a bit of help from you guys. Family of mine are planing a holiday to the UK in September. The general idea is to land at Stansted and do a 10 day tour of the south of England + London. 6 days the south, 3 days London and the first day in Oxford. They are planing to take a cottage somewhere in Cornwall/Devon and do short daily trips. Current plan is a day in Oxford and then, perhaps 3 days somewhere int the coutryside around Yeovil and 3 days somewhere around Plymouth. Alternatively, 6 days somewhere in the middle, around Devon. London at the end of the trip.

So, any inside info would be welcome. Accommodation, things to see. what not to see.

What I gather, they are planing to take it easy. A bit of sightseeing, a bit of good food and drink. On the  way back to London they are planing to pass by Stonehenge. Now I see you mentioning the Jurassic Coast, but I'm not too sure if 60 something would be too interested in it???

Also there were saying something about a visit to a cheddar farm :)  Also, are there any smaller breweries around?

They were considering going to Bath or Bristol. Is is worth it?

What would be your opinion, what to see, where to go, where to sty, what to eat and drink? 6 days of the south, more or less relaxed holiday. 60 something crew with a car.

Tnx.

Edited by tripe

Just booked for Atlantis, The Palm for April, anyone on here been?

Taking the missus and kids (13 and 9) - the waterpark looks great, wiil go up the burj khalifa while there as well.

Wild Wadi - personally is a much much better water park than the Atlantis. They're both really good fun, but Wild Wadi edges it.

Make sure you get over some dune bashing, the kids will love that!

OK, now I need a bit of help from you guys. Family of mine are planing a holiday to the UK in September. The general idea is to land at Stansted and do a 10 day tour of the south of England + London. 6 days the south, 3 days London and the first day in Oxford. They are planing to take a cottage somewhere in Cornwall/Devon and do short daily trips. Current plan is a day in Oxford and then, perhaps 3 days somewhere int the coutryside around Yeovil and 3 days somewhere around Plymouth. Alternatively, 6 days somewhere in the middle, around Devon. London at the end of the trip.

So, any inside info would be welcome. Accommodation, things to see. what not to see.

What I gather, they are planing to take it easy. A bit of sightseeing, a bit of good food and drink. On the  way back to London they are planing to pass by Stonehenge. Now I see you mentioning the Jurassic Coast, but I'm not too sure if 60 something would be too interested in it???

Also there were saying something about a visit to a cheddar farm :)  Also, are there any smaller breweries around?

What would be your opinion, what to see, where to go, where to sty, what to eat and drink? 6 days of the south, more or less relaxed holiday. 60 something crew with a car.

Tnx.

Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are all really nice! Stick towards the coast and you can't go far wrong. Its been a few years since i was down that way so hopefully someone else will be able to be more specific!

Personally I love Bath and the roman history that is there but a day or 2 max is all would need. 

• Like 1

Tnx.

Not sure if ive misread this but are you suggesting that there staying in a cottage in Cornwall/Devon and travelling to these places and back everyday? Could be quite tiresome for whoever is driving if your doing over 3 hours of driving a day to go yeovil and back. But then again you wouldnt see anything if you didnt get in the car and go.

Ive always liked Bournemouth and Southampton. Maybe worth a visit on the way to London.

Just booked a weekend break in Great Yarmouth. Got Turkey in October so nice to have something to look forward to thats coming up sooner. Going 1st weekend in April for 3 nights and cost £120 for a chalet. Daughter is 8 and son is 1 so they should both have a great time. Nothing spectacular but beach, swimming pools, arcades and playgrounds should do us quite nicely

• Like 1

Not sure if ive misread this but are you suggesting that there staying in a cottage in Cornwall/Devon and travelling to these places and back everyday? Could be quite tiresome for whoever is driving if your doing over 3 hours of driving a day to go yeovil and back. But then again you wouldnt see anything if you didnt get in the car and go.

Ive always liked Bournemouth and Southampton. Maybe worth a visit on the way to London.

The idea that they have is to take a cottage somewhere and do trips. Driving isn't a problem as you said, you can't really see much if you're stuck in one place. Of course, it's better to drive less that to go back and forth every day.

One option is to go Stansted - Oxford (stay a night) - Cornwall (stay 3 nights) - Yeovil (stay for 3 nights) - London (3 nights).

The other is Stansted - Oxford (stay a night) - Devon (stay for 6 nights) - London (3 nights).

Well I finished my contract in Montevideo .. so stay there for 3 days then got the ferry to Buenos Aries for 3 days aswell.

Was very nice. 

I could finish in either Copenhagen or Stockholm in July so would stay either one for a few days.

then hopefully our standard LADS holiday to Ibiza!! in August   :cheers:  :beer:  :yahoo:

Nice. I remember Woolacombe and Ilfracombe as a kid.

And in answer to your original question, yes I still like a British seaside holiday!

Ha ha. I like a foreign holiday as much as anyone but I've had some fantastic holidays in this country as a child and adult and felt that Britain was being overlooked.

The idea that they have is to take a cottage somewhere and do trips. Driving isn't a problem as you said, you can't really see much if you're stuck in one place. Of course, it's better to drive less that to go back and forth every day.

One option is to go Stansted - Oxford (stay a night) - Cornwall (stay 3 nights) - Yeovil (stay for 3 nights) - London (3 nights).

The other is Stansted - Oxford (stay a night) - Devon (stay for 6 nights) - London (3 nights).

Both are good options but personally, I'd go with the first one - Yeovil isn't very interesting itself, though. Bath is definitely worth visiting and Salisbury is pretty good too (it's quite near Stonehenge so could easily be combined with seeing that).

Some traffic advice - Going from Stansted to Oxford, you'll usually save some time by going via Aylesbury. Google maps will tell you to take the M25 then M40 as it's slightly quicker if you do it at 3am, but there's often traffic on the M25 during the day. Also, during the summer the A303 has lots of traffic and there's a roundabout near Stonehenge where huge queues build up heading away from London and towards Stonehenge. Going there on the way back would avoid the worst of it.

Amsterdam for a few days on Thursday. Never been before so are there any MUST do's (apart from the obvious :pearson: )

Went Amsterdam when i was 17. Spent all the time there in coffee shops and RLD. Still to this day the best pint ive ever had was in a coffee shop with super skunk spliff in hand. Never touched drugs again but i will always remember that pint and spliff combo.

I was disappointed with the RLD tbh. Went to see a banana show. I wouldnt recommend it. Those images have scarred me for life lol .

Only thing i ate out there was falafel. Very nice, although i probably just had the munchies and there was falafel vans everywhere.

Doubt this post will help you too much but was nice to type this and reminisce lol

Amsterdam for a few days on Thursday. Never been before so are there any MUST do's (apart from the obvious :pearson: )

I've heard from several people that the Heineken experience is definitely worth doing. Obviously Ann Frank's house (get there early), I'd recommend a tour of the city too as it's got a fantastic history.

People watching in the RLD is superb though :D

Where are you staying?

Edited by Jonaldinho

Amsterdam for a few days on Thursday. Never been before so are there any MUST do's (apart from the obvious :pearson: )

just get absolutely off your tree and walk round trying not to get run over by every man and his dog on a bike 

Both are good options but personally, I'd go with the first one - Yeovil isn't very interesting itself, though. Bath is definitely worth visiting and Salisbury is pretty good too (it's quite near Stonehenge so could easily be combined with seeing that).

Some traffic advice - Going from Stansted to Oxford, you'll usually save some time by going via Aylesbury. Google maps will tell you to take the M25 then M40 as it's slightly quicker if you do it at 3am, but there's often traffic on the M25 during the day. Also, during the summer the A303 has lots of traffic and there's a roundabout near Stonehenge where huge queues build up heading away from London and towards Stonehenge. Going there on the way back would avoid the worst of it.

Thanks. This is a great tip about the roads.

That's two people for Bath already so I think Bath will be added tko the trip.

I wrote Yeovil as a geografic reference. They wouldn't look for accommodation in the city but somewhere in the countryside.

What I just realised,, they are planing to do the trip at the same time as the Rugby WC is being played.