Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Can't help you with the Greek island, but can with Croatia.

OK, apart from the fact that Hajduk is from Split and I wish them to all the worst, I can recommend Split. :) My guys on here will hate my for writing this post :P  as I should be promoting our part of the Adriatic, the Kvarner, not Dalmatia. :D

You can get to Split quite easy. There are flights direct from the UK. The city's got a nice center (actually it's in a old Roman palace), a long promenade (Riva) with lot's of bars and a few good places to eat local food (Konoba - if you translate it into English it's a wine cellar, but in modern terms it's a a name used for traditionally furnished restaurant serving local food). Split is well connected to the islands. Brac, Hvar and Korcula are all beautiful. Great beaches and the night life is ok (especially Hvar), not only the clubs, but the pubs on the promenade. If I were to go with my girlfriend, I'd go to Split for a couple of days and then 4 or 5 days Brac, Hvar or Korcula. I'd rent a scooter there to get around the island. All the places on all of these islands are really small and it' worth a while to do a few trips between them. All the best beaches are a bit further from the main towns on the islands, but Brac has a beautiful sandy beach practically in the center of a place called Bol (google Zlatni Rat beach). Split's got ok beaches but they can't compare to the islands.

You said you are planning to go in June. That's a great idea. I presonally prefer June to July or August. It's bit cooler (25-30 degrees C) and there aren't as many tourists. We get the most Brits in July and August and mostly on Hvar and Pag Islands (twenty something and partying).

Dubrovnik is beautiful, but too touristy for me. And they don't have too many sandy beaches.

Another option is a couple of days in Zadar (a bit further north from Split) which is also a beautiful place and has direct flights from the UK as well and then 4 or 5 days on Silba or Dugi Otok islands (there are daily ferries to both the islands). In my opinion these two islands have the most beautiful sandy beaches of all the places in Croatia. But Silba is really, really small and there aren't too many tourists there and it isn't a big tourist hub. Is got just a couple of restaurants (all serving fresh fish - not too expensive even by Croatian standards) and bars. Most of the tourists are regulars so it has a homy atmosphere. I's a perfect place to relax, go to the beach and do nothing (the sandy beach a mi ute from the village has a nice beach bar, spent a lot of time there drinkin beer :D ). In fact, there are even no cars on the island of Silba.

Dugi Otok is long (it actually means Long Island in Croatian) and for that you need to have a vehicle of some sort. Perhaps the most beautiful sandy beach that I've been to is on Dugi Otok (google Veli Zal beach). From Dugi Otok you also get daily trips by boat to Kornati Islands and that's one on the greatest places on our coast.

We spent the last two of our holidays on Silba and Dugi Otok. Loved both of them.

Hope this helps. If you need any other info just ask.

Incredible thank you, I think we will probably doing more than one holiday to Croatia over the coming years with these suggestions. Thanks again it's much appreciated.

I am going to Rhodes Island for my girlfriend's mother's 50th for a week. I am thinking of going to Athens after that for few days then probably to Croatia or Bosnia or Serbia or even all of them time permitting. I see Tripe has kindly posted some tips re Croatia but any tips for Bosnia, Athens and Serbia (Belgrade only will be cool). 

Bosnia is beautiful and the people are so friendly. The train ride from Mostar to Sarajevo (if it's still running) is one of the best in Europe.

Belgrade and Novi Sad in Serbia are nice cities, in the summer everyone goes swimming in the danube. The forested and mountainous area around Eastern Bosnia and Western Serbia is also lovely and worth stopping off in for a couple of days. Lots of history and culture if you're interested in that kind of thing. Oh and the food all over ex-Yugo is brilliant, especially in Belgrade.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

If you're going from Athens don't miss Ohrid (Macedonia). It's a beautiful small town on a lake. A lot of history. Can swim in the lake too. Not many people know about it but it's beautiful.

In Serbia, for first time visitor it's best to do the highlights. Belgrade and Novi Sad.

Belgrade is great to go out. I've never been to a city with such a vibrant night life. And I've traveled a lot. Lots of clubs, many of them on barges on the Danube and Sava rivers. Kalemegdan fortress is in the city center. But, if you are going during the summer there won't be that many people and it could be quite hot. And no sea. Bg, in my opinion, is much better for an autumn weekend break.

An hours drive from Belgrade is Novi Sad. Great place on the Danube. The Petrovaradin Fortress is huge. The call it the Gibraltar of Danube. Exit Festival is held there. I personally prefer Novi Sad to Begrade.

In Bosnia Sarajevo and Mostar are a must as Bovil said. Mostar is about an hours drive from Dubrovnik so you can do the both Mostar nad Dbk. Half an hour south from Dubrovnik is Montenergo, The Bay of Kotor. Great history and Budva's got great nightlife.

Don't know how you're travelling from Athens. Car, bus or train? The roads from Athens to Belgrade aren't the best around. Trains are slow but a good option. Bosnia is even worse. No highways and slow trains. You need to take this into consideration when planning your trip

As bovril said. Food is great. And cheap. All around. Great grilled meat, oriental styled pies (burek), sweets. Macedonia has great wine. Beer is ok. Average.

Edited by tripe
  • Like 1

Thanks for answers.  The timeframe and budget is rather tight, I will have around two weeks, I definitely want to go to Athens seeing it is near to Rhodes obviously. After that, I am debating whether to get a train from Thessaloniki to Belgrade or to just fly to Bosnia then a train to Croatia.  I have researched Athens and feel that two days will be enough so I have about 10 or 11 days left to explore the rest. 

Thanks for answers.  The timeframe and budget is rather tight, I will have around two weeks, I definitely want to go to Athens seeing it is near to Rhodes obviously. After that, I am debating whether to get a train from Thessaloniki to Belgrade or to just fly to Bosnia then a train to Croatia.  I have researched Athens and feel that two days will be enough so I have about 10 or 11 days left to explore the rest. 

Pretty sure there's an overnight train from Thess to Belgrade so you won't lose much time and it'll be cheap. In recent years though Greek run transport has often been cancelled without warning.

Pretty sure there's an overnight train from Thess to Belgrade so you won't lose much time and it'll be cheap. In recent years though Greek run transport has often been cancelled without warning.

Yeah, that is correct. It will be good to save on hostel costs as well but the question is that if I have enough time for all of three countries that I have mentioned. I am prioritising Croatia then Bosnia then Serbia so if Zagreb,Split et al need 10 days to be explored then I will just stick to Croatia as I do not want to rush through all three countries.  

Edited by The Blur

If I was in your place, I'd fly to Sarajevo for Athens. Stay there for a couple days and then head down south. Either, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Kotor and Budva, or Mostar, Split and Zadar. 10, 11 days would be just enough to enjoy everything. And it's a much easier trip then to Belgrade and then from Bg to Croaia or Bosnia.

I'd leave Belgrade for a weekend break when the city is more lively. And less hot. A weekend is more then enough for Bg. Also, if you go Thess-Belgrade, you'll get stranded too far up north. And buses down south from Belgrade, either to Bosnia, Croatia or to Montenegro are chaos. Trains are even worse.

Edited by tripe

If I was in your place, I'd fly to Sarajevo for Athens. Stay there for a couple days and then head down south. Either, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Kotor and Budva, or Mostar, Split and Zadar. 10, 11 days would be just enough to enjoy everything. And it's a much easier trip then to Belgrade and then from Bg to Croaia or Bosnia.

I'd leave Belgrade for a weekend break when the city is more lively. And less hot. A weekend is more then enough for Bg. Also, if you go Thess-Belgrade, you'll get stranded too far up north. And buses down south from Belgrade, either to Bosnia, Croatia or to Montenegro are chaos. Trains are even worse.

Good stuff, I noticed that you did not mentioned Zagreb at all. Is it a place to avoid? 

Good stuff, I noticed that you did not mentioned Zagreb at all. Is it a place to avoid? 

During the summer months yes. The city is more or less empty. Most of the people are on holiday either in July or in August.  There are no students in the city so the majority of the 20 something are not in Zagreb then. Also, we've got two public holidays on 5.8. and 15.8. and people tend to take a couple of days free and go to the beach. It would be a pity to waste a couple of days in Zagreb when you could be on the coast. 

It's pretty much the same as Belgrade. Both cool, both lively, but both better visited in the autumn or the spring.

If you'd like to get a bit of culture and a bit of the beach, the best bet would be the option I suggested in the earlier post. Fly to Sarajevo and then down south to Dalmatia or Montenegro. The other option is to go further north, where we are. Rijeka, Kvarner and Istria. Istria is like Tuscany, small villages, olives, but it has nice beaches as well.

Either way, I'd fly from Athens, avoid Belgrade and Zagreb.

Edited by tripe

During the summer months yes. The city is more or less empty. Most of the people are on holiday either in July or in August.  There are no students in the city so the majority of the 20 something are not in Zagreb then. Also, we've got two public holidays on 5.8. and 15.8. and people tend to take a couple of days free and go to the beach. It would be a pity to waste a couple of days in Zagreb when you could be on the coast. 

It's pretty much the same as Belgrade. Both cool, both lively, but both better visited in the autumn or the spring.

If you'd like to get a bit of culture and a bit of the beach, the best bet would be the option I suggested in the earlier post. Fly to Sarajevo and then down south to Dalmatia or Montenegro. The other option is to go further north, where we are. Rijeka, Kvarner and Istria. Istria is like Tuscany, small villages, olives, but it has nice beaches as well.

Either way, I'd fly from Athens, avoid Belgrade and Zagreb.

Brilliant, thanks for your and Bovril's tips- Much appreciated mate. 

I have done most, work and pleasure, so in our doting age, we will keep to europe.

Sardinia takes our fancy, or tour west coast of Italy, with pompei and serrento coast.

Egypt nile cruise with coast hotel 16 days 650 euros pp.In Autumn.

Dont need to take or organise holidays, I took early retirement.

Just managed to sneak in four (5th -8th March) days in Sydney for the ...

sydney-mardi-gras.jpg

Its always tight, but, managed to grab a spot right on the route, expecting loads of fun, as long as its not too wet this year, anyone else coming?

Just managed to sneak in four (5th -8th March) days in Sydney for the ...

sydney-mardi-gras.jpg

Its always tight, but, managed to grab a spot right on the route, expecting loads of fun, as long as its not too wet this year, anyone else coming?

Like the innuendos.When I was 19 I landed and the Mardi Gras was on.Not knowing what one was all those years ago it did take me by surprise .

Just booked a trip to Florida with some family friends, my first visit to the states, so any feedback would be awesome!

We're probably going there too.

The only advice I can give you is to schedule a day off in the middle of the holiday. The theme parks are so big and the humidity so draining you'll literally be knackered if you don't.Don't try to fit too much in.