Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

35 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I love my town…. Some good food…

Curry -  Indian Queen + Himilayas etc. are all amazing, but, for fine dining we’re at a complete loss…. My mums town in France is smaller than Market Harborough and has 4 Michelin star restaurants…

anywhere good good has come and gone…. Too many mediocre chain restaurants for my tastes (although partial to Pho and Wagamamas)

The Case is ok but very hit and miss….   But, I can’t think of anywhere in the town centre that I’d be rushing to eat at again and again

This is just hypercritical tbh Leicester is very decent for good food

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

This is just hypercritical tbh Leicester is very decent for good food

How am I being a hypocrite?  I was only expressing an opinion!

There are some decent places but too many mediocre ones…. And certainly very little approaching fine dining…

My option and that’s all!

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

How am I being a hypocrite?  I was only expressing an opinion!

There are some decent places but too many mediocre ones…. And certainly very little approaching fine dining…

My option and that’s all!

He didnt say hypocritical, he said HYPERcritical. 

‘Fine dining’ is very much a big city thing. The folk of Leicester generally don’t have salaries for it.

It’s only just started to really take off outside of London. Birmingham was a bit of desert for it until two years ago. £70 for seven small dishes doesn’t really cut with most Lestoh folk. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Which is the best curry restaurant down Melton Road?

Haven't been to the Grand Durbar for a few years, wasn't too impressed with it the last time there.

Don’t bother with restaurants if you want a nice curry try pubs that do food. 

Clowes Arms

Paddys Marten Inn

Himalya 

The Broadway

Humberstone Pub

The Woolpack

Railway Working men’s club (old rifle butts chefs) 

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Went Grounded Kitchen again last night, seriously tasty stuff. Get yourself there if you haven’t been yet.

Rumour has it that Grounded Kitchen is set to move in to the old Salvador Deli unit next to Bar Dos. Would make sense as they're so busy and it's a bigger space and has outside space. 

Edited by Soup

20 hours ago, Soup said:

The Salmon do one for  £5.50. It's fine and looks and tastes like your gran made it. 

So, Yorkies like cardboard, dry and blackened beef, soggy overcooked vegetables, greasy roasties, and gravy you could knock nails in with?

I think I'll give it a miss.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

So, Yorkies like cardboard, dry and blackened beef, soggy overcooked vegetables, greasy roasties, and gravy you could knock nails in with?

I think I'll give it a miss.

Haha well my Gran was a legend with her Sunday dinners. Obviously yours wasn't ?

6 minutes ago, Soup said:

Haha well my Gran was a legend with her Sunday dinners. Obviously yours wasn't ?

Her ability to take fresh ingredients and turn them into the meal from hell was unrivalled.

Until I met my mother-in-law... :nono:

5 hours ago, Soup said:

Rumour has it that Grounded Kitchen is set to move in to the old Salvador Deli unit next to Bar Dos. Would make sense as they're so busy and it's a bigger space and has outside space. 

Yep definitely would, would make it better to be able to sit down and eat in there.

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He didnt say hypocritical, he said HYPERcritical. 

‘Fine dining’ is very much a big city thing. The folk of Leicester generally don’t have salaries for it.

It’s only just started to really take off outside of London. Birmingham was a bit of desert for it until two years ago. £70 for seven small dishes doesn’t really cut with most Lestoh folk. 

Subtle!  I’d misread!

I don’t necessarily agree…. N. York Dales has and has had for years amazing fine dining places…. I’m sure other towns do much better…

Leicester is not as hard up as you think…. And there would be (for the right places) a demand for better food…. it doesn’t need to be expensive to be good!  I accept ‘fine dining’ might imply costly…. I was thinking fresh original and tasty (Grounded kitchen being a great example)

Lets not short change ourselves…. Many Letah folk are quite progressive!

Ben

£5.50?!?! lol

**** me I need to get myself down to the Salmon. I can get the train up from London, go and get a roast there and get the train back down for less than it costs for a roast in London these days.

Edited by ealingfox

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

£5.50?!?! lol

**** me I need to get myself down to the Salmon. I can get the train up from London, go and get a roast there and get the train back down for less than it costs for a roast in London these days.

Oxbo Bankside is a top class Sunday Roast in London if you enjoy one, it's about 40 quid but you get a two hour slot with unlimited champagne in that.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Oxbo Bankside is a top class Sunday Roast in London if you enjoy one, it's about 40 quid but you get a two hour slot with unlimited champagne in that.

Either that or 7 Sunday roasts down the old Salmon.

Heard Winstanley House is supposed to be pretty decent if you like the more fine dining stuff. North Kitchen on Hinckley Road is another one which gets decent reviews. Not been to either myself because I'm a tight b*stard but looks nice enough in the photos lol 

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Subtle!  I’d misread!

I don’t necessarily agree…. N. York Dales has and has had for years amazing fine dining places…. I’m sure other towns do much better…

Leicester is not as hard up as you think…. And there would be (for the right places) a demand for better food…. it doesn’t need to be expensive to be good!  I accept ‘fine dining’ might imply costly…. I was thinking fresh original and tasty (Grounded kitchen being a great example)

Lets not short change ourselves…. Many Letah folk are quite progressive!

Ben

But a lot of wealthier people in Leicestershire don't live in the city, its a pretty affluent county with some very nice places a bit further out. A lot of the suggestions that come up in these threads are often in places like Woodhouse Eaves, Newtown Linford, etc. 

There's quite a few decent places in the county. 

That's not to say there aren't any in the city at all but most of the city centre is a pretty 50/50 split between cheap crap and moderately expensive (in VFM terms) chains. 

You've got to be willing to rummage around to find diamonds in the rough, like the aforementioned Grounded for example. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Heard Winstanley House is supposed to be pretty decent if you like the more fine dining stuff. North Kitchen on Hinckley Road is another one which gets decent reviews. Not been to either myself because I'm a tight b*stard but looks nice enough in the photos lol 

It is.

But had heard previously that they can sometimes slightly over-charge on some aspects of the bill.

-

Recently went to Marco Pierre-Whites' restaurant on Granby Street (where the Grand Hotel used to be).

Although the service was attentive and the food was high-quality, what was quite annoying was seeing pictures of Marco slyly looking down at you from some of the walls..

Never been in personally, but the 'More' buffet and 'Marquis' restaurants on London Road are apparently rated highly.

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

It’s alright…. Pretty decent…. I am not in a rush to go back…. The food was decent, but, not outstanding and I felt the decor and approach was a little OTT for my taste…. Service was friendly and prompt…. The blackberry Mojitos were moorish!

Same feeling about Wygeston house…. Didn’t quite hit the mark

God i’m a fussy bugger

little Tokyo and the mackerel sashimi is my favourite place in Leicester currently !

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But a lot of wealthier people in Leicestershire don't live in the city, its a pretty affluent county with some very nice places a bit further out. A lot of the suggestions that come up in these threads are often in places like Woodhouse Eaves, Newtown Linford, etc. 

There's quite a few decent places in the county. 

That's not to say there aren't any in the city at all but most of the city centre is a pretty 50/50 split between cheap crap and moderately expensive (in VFM terms) chains. 

You've got to be willing to rummage around to find diamonds in the rough, like the aforementioned Grounded for example. 

Fair comment…. There’s enough people on this forum who seem to be up for some decent scran!  Many of whom live in town…

i’m following this thread to uncover the diamonds!  So far we’ve grounded kitchen and …………????

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

It’s alright…. Pretty decent…. I am not in a rush to go back…. The food was decent, but, not outstanding and I felt the decor and approach was a little OTT for my taste…. Service was friendly and prompt…. The blackberry Mojitos were moorish!

Same feeling about Wygeston house…. Didn’t quite hit the mark

God i’m a fussy bugger

little Tokyo and the mackerel sashimi is my favourite place in Leicester currently !

I used to go a lot when I lived Leicester. Took the Mrs a year or two ago when visiting and I felt it had really gone downhill, perhaps it was a one off.

3 minutes ago, baker11 said:

I used to go a lot when I lived Leicester. Took the Mrs a year or two ago when visiting and I felt it had really gone downhill, perhaps it was a one off.

Ooh…. That’s a shame…. I haven’t been for a few months…. 

40 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Never been in personally, but the 'More' buffet and 'Marquis' restaurants on London Road are apparently rated highly.

I went to the More buffet about a year ago and was extremely disappointed. Not a great selection of food, and a lot of it was vegetarian. Quality pretty poor compared to other buffets around. But then again, that was a year ago. But it was just after it was on Channel 4 so you'd think they'd be on point at the time.

I'd agree with @Wolfox regarding Little Tokyo. Love the place. Went about a month ago and the two usual women serving weren't there, the chef came over and gave us recommendations from the menu and took our order. We usually have the same sharing platter every time but took his advice and it was superb. Only criticism I have is their very short playlist on the radio. It's quite quiet but hearing Japanese Let It Go (frozen film) 5 times in an hour does get slightly annoying. 

Talking about sushi I quite enjoyed Wakaze and Bonzai in town as well. And Kokoro near clock tower is great to pick up a pre made pack instead of the usual Greg's or McDonalds, reasonably priced and very tasty.

Edited by Kopic