Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

9 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Talking about sushi I quite enjoyed Wakaze and Bonzai in town as well. And Kokoro near clock tower is great to pick up a pre made pack instead of the usual Greg's or McDonalds, reasonably priced and very tasty.

I tried Bonzai…. Odd little place as they seemed quite surprised when I came in….asked if I was prepared to wait, even though there was only 5 or 6 other tables eating…. but I really enjoyed it…. Would go back

To go back towards my defence of Leicester's food scene. 

Off the top of my head:-

• Lilu which is upmarket Indian cuisine. 
  • North Bar providing really good grub in a pretty 'average' area
  • 2/3 Turkish restaurants doing great food
  • 'Canteen' hosting numerous street food options - now hosting events in the city centre
  • Sapori, Casa Romana, Oggy - and even Cini further afield for Italian food
  • Knight & Garter and Winstanley House providing 'pub grub' in excellent surroundings
  • Barceloneta providing Spanish tapas 
  • White Peacock and The Case for upmarket fine dining. 
  • James Cafe Bistro, hidden behind Highcross. 
  • Add to Japanese/Chinese cuisine mentioned recently. 

That's without me mentioning 'chains' or some decent cafes as well. It's pretty good for a city of Leicester's size. 

Food is incredibly subjective however - it is also probably one of the few areas where snobbery still exists in the critics. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Not my kind of food but John’s House in Mountsorrel is supposed to be really good. 

Yeah I’ve been, it was very good. Got absolutely sloshed on decent wine while I was there, the last of which was bizarrely made in Costock.

Could have gone on a European break for the cost of that evening though.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

• 'Canteen' hosting numerous street food options - now hosting events in the city centre
  • Knight & Garter and Winstanley House providing 'pub grub' in excellent surroundings

That's without me mentioning 'chains' or some decent cafes as well. It's pretty good for a city of Leicester's size. 

Food is incredibly subjective however - it is also probably one of the few areas where snobbery still exists in the critics. 

I haven't done barceloneta in years -mainly as I live on the other side of town and queens road is a ball ache to get a taxi to.

Is it still cutting it? Is Bar dos Hermanos still any good? 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 15/04/2019 at 17:06, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ii went to the White Peacock a couple of months ago for the works do for the wife and didn't think it was all that! Nice atmosphere about it but for the price you pay i was underwhelmed by the service and quality of the food. 6/10 for me.

Also went out for a leaving meal at Tamaganga's opposite the new crazy golf near Highcross, it was recommended by one of our colleagues and was very impressed! £20 for a 5 small bowls of curry but the quality was exceptional, flavours were all there and the menu options are very good as well. Probably the best upmarket curry experience i've had so far! 8/10 imo.

7 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Had a Curry at Mowglis in St Martin’s Square yesterday, definitely up there with the best I’ve had in this city in recent times 

That’s reassuring as I’ve only heard terrible things about that place so far 

Date night tonight with the wife and she's tasked me with finding somewhere to eat. We do not go into the city all that often but we're planning on just having a wander around to see what restaurants are around. Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably something at least vaguely romantic...

First person to suggest the Prince of Punjab is paying for our night out!

On 06/10/2019 at 10:22, SemperEadem said:

Granted I have never been sober but the German Doner gaff on Granby Street always hits the spot.

I had raw chicken in one of my wraps when I went there...! Full on chewy chicken i had to spit out only to realise it was raw.