Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Very little in the actual City which is a shame…

Has the Three Swans had a take over?  Was always nice, but not spectacular…

Became a Best Western a few years ago. Bar bit has had a revamp since, but not sure about the food side of things.

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2019 at 13:11, RonnieTodger said:

I enjoyed Mowgli when I went. Was 50% off food for the first week too. 

Service was a bit slow, but it won't be perfect straight away.

Went last week, it was OK and if anyone suggested going there again I would be fine with it but it wouldn’t be my choice. 

I know it’s ‘Street food’ and they say the food comes out as and when it’s ready but I ordered Tamarind chips (cubed potatoes) alongside the Bunny Chow, everyone else ordered a curry, rice and rothi bread. The chips turned up 20 minutes before anything else. Ordered the IPA which was fine but ‘A beer made by winemakers’ :unsure: The Bunny Chow wasn’t bad a bit too much bread, I was expecting a hollowed out boule type of loaf but got what looked like a massive chunk of bloomer, couldn’t complain about the curry. 

The food was good, decor was lovely and I’ve no doubt it will attract a certain clientele, but if it’s Indian you want there’s so many great Indian restaurants in the Leicester area I would prefer eat in. 

3 minutes ago, Livid said:

Went last week, it was OK and if anyone suggested going there again I would be fine with it but it wouldn’t be my choice. 

I know it’s ‘Street food’ and they say the food comes out as and when it’s ready but I ordered Tamarind chips (cubed potatoes) alongside the Bunny Chow, everyone else ordered a curry, rice and rothi bread. The chips turned up 20 minutes before anything else. Ordered the IPA which was fine but ‘A beer made by winemakers’ :unsure: The Bunny Chow wasn’t bad a bit too much bread, I was expecting a hollowed out boule type of loaf but got what looked like a massive chunk of bloomer, couldn’t complain about the curry. 

The food was good, decor was lovely and I’ve no doubt it will attract a certain clientele, but if it’s Indian you want there’s so many great Indian restaurants in the Leicester area I would prefer eat in. 

It's a chain now so I don't it's quite as authentic as many other places. Will always prefer to support family run curry houses.

• Like 2

The Royal Oak - Great Dalby. https://www.royaloakgreatdalby.co.uk/home

For a country pub (that is basically just down the road for me) i went for lunch last week, really enjoyed it. Reopened recently with new owner and the wine is excellent and food at a decent price.

Might try their Sunday lunch next week, but need to book in advance as the place gets packed. 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

The Royal Oak - Great Dalby. https://www.royaloakgreatdalby.co.uk/home

For a country pub (that is basically just down the road for me) i went for lunch last week, really enjoyed it. Reopened recently with new owner and the wine is excellent and food at a decent price.

Might try their Sunday lunch next week, but need to book in advance as the place gets packed. 

I've recently eaten at the Royal Oak and our meal was excellent, plus friendly service. Would recommend a visit. 

Definitely better than some on the 2020 list posted earlier, certainly with those with "Swan" in their name, which on the day I went were both bang average. 

• Like 1

Off to Eye Kettleby lakes for Sunday lunch today with my son - menu looks nice and the setting is lovely (especially in the summer, sitting outside with a view of the lakes.)

Will report back how it goes and what the food/prices are like. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Off to Ab Kettleby lakes for Sunday lunch today with my son - menu looks nice and the setting is lovely (especially in the summer, sitting outside with a view of the lakes.)

Will report back how it goes and what the food/prices are like. 

You mean Eye Kettleby? Was there the other week and had a good roast as usual. Ale was good last time too.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Can anybody recommend a good restaurant for Sunday Lunch. My wife's birthday this Sunday and she wants a massive roast.

Perhaps she doesn't mean food 😂

Show her your romantic side by taking her here 

3C5A4F16-FCD1-4488-BE35-2606C815659A.jpeg.9e0e74102ece833ff3991a6f46ab3684.jpeg

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went to Winstanley House in the middle of Braunstone at the weekend, never knew it was there, friendly staff, nice place but the food was disappointing, had the pork and crackling, mash and roast potatoes plus veggies, what there was of it was reasonably tasty but there just wasn’t enough, maybe it was an attempt at fine dining, the tea spoon portion of mash was hidden under the pork, the crackling should of been renamed softling (a hideous mistake when serving pork) and had to pay an extra £3 something for stuffing balls (3 came out at over a £1 each) 

Disappointing as I wouldn’t expect to leave a restaurant still hungry.