Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

de laet

Pointless remark.

De Laet is a defender and shouldn't need to rely on a winger defending to perform in his role.

To an extent you're right, but if there's no cover from the winger then it's a weak link because you can get 2 on 1 going forward, which is difficult to defend against. It's why De Laet looked more assured when Mahrez and Albrighton were swapping wings during the first couple of games, because he was given regular rest from the 2 on 1 through the better defensive contributions of Albrighton.

To an extent you're right, but if there's no cover from the winger then it's a weak link because you can get 2 on 1 going forward, which is difficult to defend against. It's why De Laet looked more assured when Mahrez and Albrighton were swapping wings during the first couple of games, because he was given regular rest from the 2 on 1 through the better defensive contributions of Albrighton.

He rarely faced a 2 on 1 today, he simply got battered by Gradel until he got injured. He was constantly in the wrong position, expected other players to close down his man for him, got done on the most basic 1-2 for their goal and just didn't track his man who then had an easy cross. Not to mention every time he got the ball he was ****ing abysmal with it. He;s not good enough.

He rarely faced a 2 on 1 today, he simply got battered by Gradel until he got injured. He was constantly in the wrong position, expected other players to close down his man for him, got done on the most basic 1-2 for their goal and just didn't track his man who then had an easy cross. Not to mention every time he got the ball he was ****ing abysmal with it. He;s not good enough.

Did you watch the game today? Daniels was almost playing as a 2nd winger, it was constantly 2 on 1 until Daniels went off.

I Kinda feel bad for RDL I mean he must know he a weak link and not up to par yet keeps getting started every week so what can he do? Just play his best which is not good enough and get his reputation as a player tarnished and his confidence is shot. 
I'm betting he can wait for the day he gets dropped

He just couldn't make his mind up where to position himself whilst defending - right-back or centre-back? His interactions with both Huth and Mahrez were close to near-existent, he left way too many open spaces for Daniels and Gradel to exploit.

De Laet somewhat recovered in the second half only thanks to Gradel's and Daniels' absence.

You'd think that after one full season and 30 games in the top-flight, he'd have gotten used to the surroundings, the pace and quality of opposition...

He was woeful first 4 games last season too...ended up having an OK season. Could the same happen again?

He seems to have really bad games away from home every couple of months. It's like he goes into games knowing he's gonna have a tough shift and he doesn't really want to be there. 

Appreciate we've started well but still think 3-4-1-2 is the way to go. Bring back Wasyl. 

Not sure what player you guys have been watching for the last year, he's looked out of his depth since the very first match last August.

Regardless of who's backing him he is beaten way too easily and makes way too many silly errors.

That's completely unfair. He looked as good as the rest of the team when we were smashing it at the end of last season. Also for me clearly showed himself the better option of our two right backs. He's not perfect by any means and I think a replacement is a good idea but people are just way over the top. He's not 2014/15 Konchesky levels of shit.

Oh no, I don't mean drop Albrighton. Just pointing out I think De Laet is better as a wing back.

I agree with this. I thought De Laet would make a good back-up wing back, but wasn't much of an option as winger or full back. I thought Pearson seemed to (finally) be close to such a conclusion as well. Mind you, who - exactly - our right back in a four should be, I don't know. Nothing yet suggests it's Benalouane, for me. To come on at the stage he's come on in games and be as reckless as he has is almost impressive. Players can improve, naturally - I remember the likes of Willis, Grayson, Taggart all taking time to adapt - but the early signs aren't great.

I would be a little worried to see us spend over 20 million on players and end up with so many of the same first team weaknesses as last year - Konchesky has gone (sort of), but we still have Drinkwater instinctively going backwards into trouble, panicking under pressure, auto-dismantling our counter attacks; and De Laet perpetually standing around neither impeding the cross into the box nor picking up a man inside the box and incapable of picking out simple passes when the pressure he's put us under subsides and he bombs forward.

I agree with this. I thought De Laet would make a good back-up wing back, but wasn't much of an option as winger or full back. I thought Pearson seemed to (finally) be close to such a conclusion as well. Mind you, who - exactly - our right back in a four should be, I don't know. Nothing yet suggests it's Benalouane, for me. To come on at the stage he's come on in games and be as reckless as he has is almost impressive. Players can improve, naturally - I remember the likes of Willis, Grayson, Taggart all taking time to adapt - but the early signs aren't great.

I would be a little worried to see us spend over 20 million on players and end up with so many of the same first team weaknesses as last year - Konchesky has gone (sort of), but we still have Drinkwater instinctively going backwards into trouble, panicking under pressure, auto-dismantling our counter attacks; and De Laet perpetually standing around neither impeding the cross into the box nor picking up a man inside the box and incapable of picking out simple passes when the pressure he's put us under subsides and he bombs forward.

I agree with all of this .... He's not that bad but is definitely a weak link.... Benny looney isn't the answer so perhaps for now it's back to 3 at the back ..... And I love that "auto- dismantling" comment about Drinky .... Spot on ! He drives me nuts some times !! Inler waiting in the wings ....

Archived