Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

Not strong enough defensively, played poorly on Saturday

He played poorly on Saturday after playing 2 international games in a week. Before that he'd been one of our best players. Who's better defensively and as much of an attacking threat as he is to take his place? 

Man U were very good yesterday, but as several posters have pointed out, QPR were not good at all: a collection of individuals, not a team - which is a key difference between them and City. We also won't have anyone like Ferdinand at the centre of our defence: Morgan and Moore are both much more solid.

One thing I thought interesting was the difference that Traore made when he came on. The Man U midfield/defence didn't really seem to have much of a clue when he was running at them, and I can imagine them being bothered by the likes of Vardy.

I'd be a crap football manager, but I would be tempted (if asked) to start with the team that finished against Stoke, with the possible exception of Kasper for Hamer (on the basis of slightly more experience at this level). Pearson must be very happy to be in a position of wondering who to leave out.

This is the point. king will be dropped when he doesn't perform. What did he do wrong ? The system left a tired player 2 against 3 in the middle. That's not kings fault. A good tests of Nigel's usual mantra (as is kasper v hamer).

Man U likely to play 2 up top so 4-4-2 will match up. Expect nuge to play as he is best to continually buzz around and annoy the holding midfielder.

Nigel's should have learned from Saturday that at this level, you can be punished if you have players who are exposed for fitness. If he can get this over the players (that as a team, we can change some of the personnel every few games to get the fittest players out there) and they buy into it, then we have a chance of keeping this level of performance going.

In this case, then we could see EC and DD start.

The stats show that King's been one of our outstanding performers all season - and that following an excellent pre-season as well, especially against Werder Bremen. His passing accuracy - in a league where giving the ball away is a cardinal sin - has been example-setting and yet there are some who simply won't recognise what an important player he is.

In the last few years of almost continuous success King has probably played more minutes than anyone else - and sometimes long after others have fallen off the pace either tired, injured or found wanting. 

This is not a selection plea either. I've no intentions of trying to pick a team because I've every faith in the manager doing that. He knows the current form of the entire squad far better than me and he'll presumably pick the people he thinks best able to plunder a result against what seemed to be a rampantly revived United in their game against QPR.

In reality, there are far more important problems to consider than our central midfield where, really, the choices are all good ones.

Much more worrying is our seeming lack of goals threat from other than Ulloa...either in the centre or from the flanks. There's no alternative right-winger although Mayrez still fails to convince me and it'll be a risk indeed to sacrifice the pace of Schlupp because that could likely be our best hope of a way to goal. He's also the best partner for Konchesky and an important reason why the latter is having such a good season so far.

The thing about our fans is they have certain favourites from the off and Kingy with his laid-back largely non-combative style has never really been one of them.

He's appreciated by most but only reluctantly by some and not at all by a few who just think the success I've mentioned has only been achieved despite the handicap of having only 10 players plus King.

Many have used Knockaert or Drinkwater as the excuse to squeeze him out of the side and there's no question Drinkwater has been an excellent servant so far...'though by no means as perfect as some would suggest.

Knockaert has rarely been good enough and often looked a nightmare for people like King to play alongside because he just wouldn't give the ball and go consistently.

He's always done his own thing and if anyone can work out what it is at any given time they're brighter than me. But, his major failing is not a lack of ability or willingness but the reckless way he gives the ball away in daft places and for no good reason.    

Support striker is another worry.

Nugent's doing okay in certain ways but not by threatening to score. Schlupp can score but doesn't. Mayrez will likely find it extremely hard to score and that leaves you looking at central midfield for some hope because, despite being at home, I can't imagine us playing more than one up front or pressing United high up the field.

Rather we'll do just as we did at Chelsea and Stoke. Contain and try to score on the break. If that's the case, Pearson simply has to decide the best team to do that.

Man U were very good yesterday, but as several posters have pointed out, QPR were not good at all: a collection of individuals, not a team - which is a key difference between them and City. We also won't have anyone like Ferdinand at the centre of our defence: Morgan and Moore are both much more solid.

One thing I thought interesting was the difference that Traore made when he came on. The Man U midfield/defence didn't really seem to have much of a clue when he was running at them, and I can imagine them being bothered by the likes of Vardy.

I'd be a crap football manager, but I would be tempted (if asked) to start with the team that finished against Stoke, with the possible exception of Kasper for Hamer (on the basis of slightly more experience at this level). Pearson must be very happy to be in a position of wondering who to leave out.

Good post and I completely agree. If Kasper is fit, he plays.

Not a bad idea. We've dealt pretty well against some other top left mids though so not essential although Di Maria did look great yesterday.

I think our own positivity will do us good defensively. Even though United looked very good going forward I still think they looked a bit dodgy at the back and a better team (ie; us) would've scored against them

That's fair comment and makes Pearson's choice of team more difficult. They are vulnerable, especially if you pressure them. But, our approach so far has been to sit off a bit, contain from around the halfway line and rely on fast breaks for a goal or two.

For me I'd try to mix the two. First one approach for a period and then the other and a signal from the bench or the captain to indicate the time to change.

Why? Because I don't think we could sustain high-pressing for a whole game against that level of collective skill nor do i think we could defend deeper and not concede at some stage - as we have done against all the top teams so far.

But we might pinch the game by being canny. It's hard to imagine our defenders being anything like as sloppy as QPR's - or the midfield supporting cover as being so lazy. 

I'd love to see Vardy and Cambiasso out there. But there are reasons to justify the inclusion of so many players and, in the end, it all depends on how the manager's going to approach the game.  And what changes might best help if things go wrong. I wouldn't rule out anything. The game needs detailed planning but it's not beyond us and I'm not the least bit pessimistic. 

That's fair comment and makes Pearson's choice of team more difficult. They are vulnerable, especially if you pressure them. But, our approach so far has been to sit off a bit, contain from around the halfway line and rely on fast breaks for a goal or two.

For me I'd tried to mix the two. First one approach for a period and then the other and a signal from the bench or the captain to indicate the time to change.

Why? Because I don't think we could sustain high-pressing for a whole game against that level of collective skill nor do i think we could defend deeper and not concede at some stage - as we have done against all the top teams so far.

But we might pinch the game by being canny. It's hard to imagine our defenders being anything like as sloppy as QPR's - or the midfield supporting cover as being so lazy.

I'd love to see Vardy and Cambiasso out there. But there are reasons to justify the inclusion of so many players and, in the end, it all depends on how the manager's going to approach the game. And what changes might best help if things go wrong. I wouldn't rule out anything. The game needs detailed planning but it's not beyond us and I'm not the least bit pessimistic.

Absolutely. It's a good problem to have for Nige but I'm glad he has to make the decision and not me lol

The pace and tenacity of Vardy makes him a must for me in this game. We'll need a mixture of hard work, ability to execute our tactics and ultimately a bit of good luck. I can't wait!

I think after Saturday Esteban will start-he was class. I'd like to see him nutmeg Rooney on the edge of the box in the second minute, sending him into a frothing purple rage resulting in him trying to headbutt Morgan and being sent off, unconscious, before Van Gaal has even taken his seat...

:nigel:

Maybe Rooney should be top of Schlupps Hit List then

If the rule about players scoring against old clubs applies then we're in for a big win! Glad they got the first win out of the way yesterday and think we'll be tougher for them. Fancy we may surprise a few but most will be expecting us to lose fairly comfortably so we have nothing to lose. Not sure we'll be able to contain the attacking threats they have so may well have to go quite attacking here. We have created decent opportunities in all of our games this season so fancy we'll create chances here too - might be important who gets the first goal.

Line up:

Kasper - Hamer did well and his ability to take crosses definitely helped against Stoke. However, think Hamer has a spill in him so would go for Kasper. May enable some counter attacking kicks too.

RDL

Moore

Morgan

Konch

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Nugent

Vardy

Ulloa

If the rule about players scoring against old clubs applies then we're in for a big win! Glad they got the first win out of the way yesterday and think we'll be tougher for them. Fancy we may surprise a few but most will be expecting us to lose fairly comfortably so we have nothing to lose. Not sure we'll be able to contain the attacking threats they have so may well have to go quite attacking here. We have created decent opportunities in all of our games this season so fancy we'll create chances here too - might be important who gets the first goal.

Line up:

Kasper - Hamer did well and his ability to take crosses definitely helped against Stoke. However, think Hamer has a spill in him so would go for Kasper. May enable some counter attacking kicks too.

RDL

Moore

Morgan

Konch

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Nugent

Vardy

Ulloa

I hadn't thought about the Man Utd link we've had. Hopefully it further improves our desire to win this game

Whoever has heard of Blackett for gords sake?

I hate attitudes like this. Stoke fans were saying they hadn't heard of most of our team. Do you think Man Utd fans know who the fvck Liam Moore is?

He's come through the Utd academy and is being started by Louis Van Gaal ffs, he's not going to be shit.

I hate attitudes like this. Stoke fans were saying they hadn't heard of most of our team. Do you think Man Utd fans know who the fvck Liam Moore is?

He's come through the Utd academy and is being started by Louis Van Gaal ffs, he's not going to be shit.

He was for Birmingham last season. He's been fairly invisible this season which I didn't expect at all.

He is a bit shit though isn't he lets be honest lol. Doesn't exactly scream Man U level center back,

I think now they've got Rojo and Blind (depending on where he plays) things will be a little tighter along their back line though.

Archived