Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

We won't be building a new stadium though?lol just a stand..

Top did talk about an expansion or a new stadium awhile back, not convince it wasn't just brinkmanship to ensure a speedy resolution from the council to any expansion plans

Just want to see something put forward! Even if it was a phased project to revamp the whole place over four years.

40k would be enough with options to increase to 50k in the future, its a tough balance between keeping the atmosphere at the level it Is and allowing room for more supporters.

50 minutes ago, davieG said:

Top did talk about an expansion or a new stadium awhile back, not convince it wasn't just brinkmanship to ensure a speedy resolution from the council to any expansion plans

The club have said at an FCC meeting recently that relocation is out of the question. 

Guest CityFan 06

I wouldn't necessarily want to relocate now anyway, memories and history continues to be built on the site of Filbert Way. 

21 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The club have said at an FCC meeting recently that relocation is out of the question. 

16 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

I wouldn't necessarily want to relocate now anyway, memories and history continues to be built on the site of Filbert Way. 

I'm dead against the idea, unless it was next door.

30 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Relocation. Out of the question yes but rotating the ground and building down Raw Dykes.. who knows... :)

45 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

I wouldn't. The ground has its faults, but feels much more like home now it has witnessed some history.

It's a much better idea to invest in the current structure; increase the capacity, make it more aesthetically pleasing, improve the foundations- it was done on the cheap, and it shows. It looks very basic compared with the new grounds being built by other clubs.

I can't stand the open concrete on the underside of the terraces- stick an extra tier on the east stand and brick up the open exterior all the way around.

Guest CityFan 06
11 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I wouldn't. The ground has its faults, but feels much more like home now it has witnessed some history.

It's a much better idea to invest in the current structure; increase the capacity, make it more aesthetically pleasing, improve the foundations- it was done on the cheap, and it shows. It looks very basic compared with the new grounds being built by other clubs.

I can't stand the open concrete on the underside of the terraces- stick an extra tier on the east stand and brick up the open exterior all the way around.

Yep, agree.

I've always wanted to know more about this idea of the ground being built on the cheap - is it true and why so? I'm too young to remember. To me, the KP is a very nice ground but at the same time generic; which picks up on your point about the basic design.

12 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

Yep, agree.

I've always wanted to know more about this idea of the ground being built on the cheap - is it true and why so? I'm too young to remember. To me, the KP is a very nice ground but at the same time generic; which picks up on your point about the basic design.

Because partway through the build we were forced into administration by Wise.

3 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Anyone read anything about proposed costs of the expansion? 

That would be my only concern, is if it had a negative impact on our ability to spend in the transfer market. Would we have a couple of windows of inactivity or low spending, due to money being ploughed into the extension?

With clubs even like Bournemouth and Burnley now spending relatively big, would even a couple of windows with less money available, mean that we struggle to compete?

I think with our owners and the vast amount of TV money, probably not... but I'd still be curious to know the total cost of the expansion. 

Sean Dyche is ITK about this and according to him it will cost 'many pound notes'

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

For me it's a chance to distance ourselves from other mediocre clubs like Southampton, Stoke, Boro, Forest, Derby, etc.

One day we'll no doubt find ourselves in the Championship again and we'll have missed the opportunity to kick on as a club, we need to leave a legacy. Clubs we should be aiming to compete with long term have moved or moving like Tottenham, West Ham and Everton.

I know loads of people who can't take their kids or even buy a season ticket because of the limited capacity. 

Should that day come I'd like to go down like Newcastle and Villa have and for people to say "Can you believe clubs like Barnsley will be going to the King Power next season?"

3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We couldn't sell out against Sevilla at home for the round of 16 in the Champions League until we started winning a few games again lol 

To be fair we were atrocious up until that point and the tickets available were £50/£60 and there was an air of this match being a glorified friendly as we were half expecting a four or five goal drubbing against Sevilla.

As soon as we lost 2-1 and the tie was still live those tickets were gone within an hour. 

I know loads of people that would like to attend matches but are put off by the membership system we have. Why pay for a membership that doesn't guarantee a ticket and even when tickets are available usually there are only singles left. Most people I know would like to go as a family or group of friends 2/3/4 tickets together. I'm lucky enough to have a season ticket with my 2 sons in the family stand, which is fantastic value for money, as under 10s go free. it's just a shame that the family stand is more or less full therefore 100s if not 1000s are missing out. These are our next generation of fans that are missing out. We could easily get 38,000 - 40,000 if more tickets together were available.

The demand is there but I reckon the vast majority are just floaters that aren't that interested in the club, expansion to 40,000 makes sense but I think we'd have trouble selling it out considering our ticket prices aren't great (not the worst either but that's not what we should be aiming for).

3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

The demand is there but I reckon the vast majority are just floaters that aren't that interested in the club, expansion to 40,000 makes sense but I think we'd have trouble selling it out considering our ticket prices aren't great (not the worst either but that's not what we should be aiming for).

I think we'd sell 40,000 easy and possibly a few thousand more.

We were selling out when we first got promoted and barely won a game in six months. We would have a lot more interest now since we became Champions. 

Season tickets haven't been on general sale since the Championship days. If we had another 10,000 seats available loads of people would get season tickets.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I think we'd sell 40,000 easy and possibly a few thousand more.

We were selling out when we first got promoted and barely won a game in six months. We would have a lot more interest now since we became Champions. 

Season tickets haven't been on general sale since the Championship days. If we had another 10,000 seats available loads of people would get season tickets.

Exatcly right

can't understand the lack of ambition by some on here? Unbelievable at times

expand and we will get more fans following us and therefore increased scope and possibilities for the future 

expand expand expand

come on City get it done. :thumbup: 

5 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Exatcly right

can't understand the lack of ambition by some on here? Unbelievable at times

expand and we will get more fans following us and therefore increased scope and possibilities for the future 

expand expand expand

come on City get it done. :thumbup: 

The Sevilla home game went to general sale and hadn't sold out until we started winning a few games. I think 37k if we become a solid top 10 premier league side. I can't see us filling up a stadium with any more week in week out.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Just a thought, with an increase capacity, in the long term could prices be reduced due to increased demand and higher numbers of people turning up?

Ik it won't as owners will want money

Whilst you're right that it would be surprising if the owners took the opportunity of increased capacity to make ticket prices more affordable you have to remember their core business.

Perhaps there's a possibility that they could reduce ticket prices but still increase their income by developing the "experience". More spectators means more programme, pie and beer sales, and whatever else they might develop to enhance the experience and get us spending more money in the stadium.

I'm sure if there was development they'd take the opportunity to enhance more than just capacity. I'd be happy if they widened the entrance to the toilets. That'd be a start and I'd certainly spend another penny!

1 hour ago, Smiffy Fox said:

I know loads of people that would like to attend matches but are put off by the membership system we have. Why pay for a membership that doesn't guarantee a ticket and even when tickets are available usually there are only singles left. Most people I know would like to go as a family or group of friends 2/3/4 tickets together. I'm lucky enough to have a season ticket with my 2 sons in the family stand, which is fantastic value for money, as under 10s go free. it's just a shame that the family stand is more or less full therefore 100s if not 1000s are missing out. These are our next generation of fans that are missing out. We could easily get 38,000 - 40,000 if more tickets together were available.

This is how my feelings run.

I live in Germany, but my friends/relations  who are a mix  of hard, and satellite fans.

They dont like the membership issue, but to a person  they wouldnt like to go over the top,

With a 60k stadium.

I reckon myself we could see an extension, where a ground could offer 45 -48k.

Even at Top half Championship level 40K should be possible. I believe 44k+ in the PL, would be the below avg figure. 

Society has changed, the live PL games are sellable, plastics are not in the 100s but 1000s.

If we can hold top 12 in PL 44k+ would IMO be a walk....

Failure is always a constant companion, but we have it seems a neat pair of Humble  owners, that seem to have unfinished business...

Archived