Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Pearson has gone, let's move on

Imo singing 'one Nigel Pearson' in pre season or even the Sunderland game wouldn't be directed at the owners but just to show our appreciation to Nige who will ultimately hear about it.

I think it could be seen as being against the owners or the manager, whoever that may be.  

I certainly do think we should thank Nigel Pearson the next time he visits our stadium, like we have every time with O'Neill, who always took it gracefully, and Martin Allen, who did not.

What we definitely do not want is a situation such as the one with Megson, where a section of the crowd were always against him and contributed to him leaving a short time later.  Megson, when asked why his tenure at Leicester was so short, did mention that the first thing the crowd did was remind him he used to manage Forest, so it obviously had an effect.

Like the OP says, we are in this situation now, whether we like it or not, and a PL season will not be helped in any way by disunity.

Throughout last season the headlines were constantly being made by the manager and not the players. To say that he is gruff and uncommunicative, well he filled more space in the tabloids than any other premiership manager and always for negative reasons. Could you imagine O'Neill swearing at supporters, strangling opposition players and being downright rude and unprofessional to reporters doing their job. I doubt he'd have had a son of his on the staff either, unless he was a genuine prospect. One thing MON couldn't do is organise a staff trip abroad, there seems to be something in the DNA of Leicester City that requires all foreign trips to be total piss-ups, remember La Manga (twice!) That said NP was still very much my ideal type of manager but he won't be the last to lose his job due to 'non footballing' reasons. I do see Lennon as having the right qualities and necessary experience to take on the job. All he could do at Bolton was keep them up on a zero budget as his predecessors had wasted millions on the likes of Mills and Beckford!

For me it is bizarre as his dismissal would appear to be for a non football related incident and that is my main point, we the fans simply do not know and probably never will know why he went and on that basis I can not get closure on the issue. 

You are correct, the club have made their statement but it does not go far enough. To be honest the statement treats fans with a little bit of contempt if the club feel it provides sufficient detail as I do not think it goes anywhere near far enough in providing us with an explanation as to why the decision was made.

There are many decisions made by the club on a daily basis that do not require an explanation but when it comes to something as fundamental as this then in my opinion they should come out and say what the issue was.

Once the facts are firmly established then I can/will move on but until then the trust in the people running our football club for me has dipped a little and it is not making me feel comfortable at the moment.

The Club is unlikely to make public the details regarding the dismissal. I wouldn't expect them to. You may want a detailed explanation, but that is not what happens when a Manager leaves a Club. Anyway, it's not an unsolvable mystery, is it?

I for one am going to support the club and back the new manager (unless it's some pillock like Redknapp or Dyche), but there will be no moving on until I see us build on the foundations Pearson left us.

Portsmouth were in turmoil financially, they had a good playing squad still, and the financial collapse continued so I don't see how you can say he stabilised them. He was with Forest until Fawaz took over so that they're a joke now makes no difference, they finished 6th the season before, he took that squad over in October in 20th, and despite having a side good enough to challenge for the play-offs, finished 19th, having had them battling relegation all season. McClaren underachieved with that side but he did no better. Burnley, he didn't really uproot any trees at - yes he lost good first team players but he failed in the recruitment to replace them. He's pottered around the bottom half of the championship with squads better than that, if it were 2011 again and we were looking to replace Sven I wouldn't look twice at him and we're at a higher level now while his career has gone down another division since. He's not good enough for a midtable championship side, let alone one with any intent to stay in the premiership.

I rate Hiddink, but you can't deny that what Dutch fans have said about him is worrying.

Those managers had Rangers to deal with though, Lennon didn't; they were in a 1 team division without Rangers. Bolton he started well then fell apart and it says a fair amount that Bolton fans wouldn't be fussed if he left.

Again, I dont want Cotterill, but you're being unfair to his capabilities. I guess we'll see this season with Bristol City if it was circumstance that worked against him or if he just isnt very good above League 1.

I honestly wouldnt take too much note about what fans say on an International level. The Dutch generally are a little like England. One trophy then a load of disappointment. They're very much like France in that the amount of internal arguments and fallouts they have make ot more a soap opera than international team.

That aside, his club record is decent and he definitely knows how to operate at the highest club level.

Regards Lennon, we're all very quick to dismiss Scottish football which is justified as its shit. But what you cant dismiss, is he won titles and cups. To do that in any league, you need a degree of knowhow to set up your team, coach them and be tactically aware during games if things need changing.

He will have learnt from O'Neill and that can only be a good thing.

Regards Bolton, they finished poorly you cant deny that. But he showed he can have an impact at the start. I think they were bottom when he took over?

Regardless of that, he'd definitely have the motivation to succeed with us and i'd like to see it happen.

I've come to the conclusion that if Pearson was so great and a messiah for Leicester City Football, that we'd all, every single Leicester City fan be disgusted, shocked and outraged by his sacking. 

The fact not all of us are, proves he hadn't won everyone over, therefore lets go in search of a Manager / First Team Coach that is.

When you make an omelette, you need to break a few eggs. Pearson was just an egg! 

I've come to the conclusion that if Pearson was so great and a messiah for Leicester City Football, that we'd all, every single Leicester City fan be disgusted, shocked and outraged by his sacking.

The fact not all of us are, proves he hadn't won everyone over, therefore lets go in search of a Manager / First Team Coach that is.

When you make an omelette, you need to break a few eggs. Pearson was just an egg!

lol lol lol

Just because a few idiots don't know what side their breads buttered doesn't have anything to do with NP

There will never, ever, be a manager that every Leicester fan would be disgusted, shocked and outraged to see sacked. See there is a decent section of Leicester City fans who, how can I put this kindly, post on Bentleys Roof. And those people will never be satisfied because they have ridiculous expectations. Nigel Pearson was an incredibly good manager for this football club, the fact that some people disagree with that doesn't mean it's not true, it just means that some people are stupid.

Pearson was a very good manager for us who achieved a lot. To try and claim otherwise is stupid.

He did however have many flaws and limitations and to ignore them is just as stupid.

Pearson was a very good manager for us who achieved a lot. To try and claim otherwise is stupid.

He did however have many flaws and limitations and to ignore them is just as stupid.

Spot on Betts.

He's in equal measure, both let himself and us down by just not being a bit more savvy.

We've lost the best manager since ONeil. And we didn't have to if he was just a little more measured with the media as he was with his players.

Persona IS important in contemporary football.

The more I think about it, he more I think he's been a fool to himself.

That said..he shouldn't have been sacked in this manner.

But maybe the Thais told him to rein it in a little?

Who knows.

The Club is unlikely to make public the details regarding the dismissal. I wouldn't expect them to. You may want a detailed explanation, but that is not what happens when a Manager leaves a Club. Anyway, it's not an unsolvable mystery, is it?

You are missing my point - I am not looking for chapter and verse but an explanation as to why the decision has been made. There was a time when as a supporter of your football club you could ask that question and stand a chance of getting an honest response but we are scorned upon by some for even asking. It remains a mystery to me until somebody puts some meat on the bones.

Some have never warmed to him, some have changed their views on him. Not everyone will have the same view, I doubt even O'Neill had 100% of supporters mourning his decision to leave on some basis or other.

We're moving on but until the next man is in place there'll be doubt and concern about the unknown.

Fully agree with you.

I was on the fence with Nigel Pearson. I acknowledge what he achieved but ultimately, some times his nieveaty cost us also. I personally think he'd have learn't through experience and too much was made of the Ostrich thing. To me that was just his quirky sense of humor. 

Someone likened it to a death in the family. I thought that was way over the top at first.

But now I'd just give anything to see him in a City tracksuit again, and knowing I never will is a bloody sad thought.

Football is a funny game, did we ever believe he'd be back after his spell at Hull!

Pearson is statistically the best manager we have ever had.  He has chalked up notable achievements such as our longest ever unbeaten run, our best winning streak in the PL and our longest ever winning run.  More significantly, he has won two promotions with the club, both as Champions.  Pearson has turned the club around from its darkest period and steadied the ship after Sven's spending spree.  Pearson and his team also regularly pick great players out of obscurity which turn out to be a success for the club.  Also, last season he managed the club to the most statistically unlikely 'Great Escape'.

However, Pearson has also frozen out players who he has had disagreements with.  He has had his fair share of poor runs too, one of which happened last season and needed a statistical miracle to turn around.  The first time he left the club it was because he did not get on with a member of staff, and if rumours are to be believed, there are people within the club he does not get along with now.  He also partook in many widely reported bizarre episodes last season and, again in rumour is to be believed, stated to the owners that his son's crime was not being involved in the sex tape, but allowing it to be distributed.

I think people's fanatical devotion to Pearson is just a short-termist, knee jerk reaction to the fantastic run we had last season.  It is based on nothing more concrete than the 'Pearson Haters' who saw there ranks grow exponentially during last season's bad run.

We have lost a talented manager who has bought this club success. Whether he would've continued with this success next season isn't known, but it is not a certainty that he would.  So a new manager is not necessary that much more of a risk than keeping a manager who struggled for much of last season.

Pearson - definitely a not to be forgotten Leicester great, but certainly not irreplaceable.

I guess it's pretty difficult to 'move on' when the concern is that the club you love has just taken a massive roll of the dice in favour of sticking with a steady progression.

Part of that roll of the dice is the calibre/history/preconceptions of names being touted, and therefore until it even gives a hint of being a positive decision I doubt there'll be some who are able to 'move on'.

Except of course, anyone who truly loves the club, knows they need to move on, and accept that the Pearson era is now over, and get on with supporting the team and who ever the new manager may be.

The question people need to ask themselves is, do they support Nigel Pearson more than they support Leicester City?

If they do, then fair enough, i would suggest they go and support which ever team Pearson manages next, where they can sing "we love you nigel we do", to their hearts content, while the rest of us get on with supporting the club we truly love, and who are more important than any ex manager.

Archived