Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Job

i am technically an apprentice. it's great. well it's not but the idea of it is great. you get more real life qualified than doing a degree and i earn a standard wage instead of paying 9 grand a year 

Started off as a Lawyer (moving from a big City firm to a regional heavyweight and finally as a Head of Legal for a corporation).

Realised I enjoyed the commercial aspect of my role more so then the actual Law. So decided to start a business (slightly law related).

Also, the Law Society and the government have allowed one of the most prestigious and well respected professions in the world to go down the toilet by passing legislation I simply cannot understand the purpose of.

Would I recommend the Law? Yes, great starting point for a career and allows you to move onto something else. If you know the Law and your good at business your shit hot!

Be ready to be worked to the bone, working most evenings, public holidays and weekends. Also be prepared to have to accomodate daft policies and legislation.

Would I recomend being self employed? Hell yes! Take the rough with the smooth plan well and enjoy the ride.

Investigation work for a large courier company.

Essentially work on the 'problem' department, deal with anything from undelivered shipments, parcels stuck in customs, to lost/damaged.

Pros: Colleagues are hilarious, interesting work as it's primarily problem-solving, good progression opportunities, reasonable pay.

Cons: people.

Investigation work for a large courier company.

Essentially work on the 'problem' department, deal with anything from undelivered shipments, parcels stuck in customs, to lost/damaged.

Pros: Colleagues are hilarious, interesting work as it's primarily problem-solving, good progression opportunities, reasonable pay.

Cons: people.

If you work for Yodel you would be a busy man.

i am technically an apprentice. it's great. well it's not but the idea of it is great. you get more real life qualified than doing a degree and i earn a standard wage instead of paying 9 grand a year 

I got into my job through an apprenticeship. I was always a bit envious of the uni lifestyle but it's quite sweet having a decent job without an ugly debt.

I'm a head chef.

Pro's - love cooking, creating dishes, very interested in the industry. Work with a good bunch of lads, we have a laugh, also play football, badminton, squash quite a lot on our breaks. Money is very good, I have no qualifications and would not be earning anything close to my wage elsewhere.

Cons - loooong hours. Average day is 9am-3pm, back in 4.30pm - 10.30pm. I usually do an extra hour or so per day on top of this, extra hours doesn't pay any extra though. Weekends off are hard to come by, even though I do the rotas - miss a lot of family stuff, birthdays etc. Kitchens are hot, humid, noisy, stressful and busy.

Been doing it nearly 8 years now, would love to set up my own place. Which would see the top list disappear, and the bottom list expand ten fold.

If you work for Yodel you would be a busy man.

DHL, but I agree about Yodel. Bought a pair of expensive shoes online, wasn't in when Yodel tried to delivery so, without my authorisation, they left them "with a neighbour". Turns out this neighbour was 21 houses down the road. Baring in mind I live in Coalville, I was amazed they didn't end up straight on Ebay!

Well as mentioned in another thread ive finaly found a job after my 1 year hiatus (half of that was through being a stay at home parent). Anyways i will be a Business Analyst in the IT sector which is where i was working last year as a systems analyst.

Basically a lot of paperwork, project planning, conflict resolution with daft colleagues and so on.

Only had one delivery off them and it was OK. But my downstairs neighbour was sitting on the strp outside so just let me know. I was also waiting for a fridge delivery.

Saw an old workmate today. Used to be at the warehouse where I was. TBH was surprised to see him still alive. He was about due for retirement in 03 when I left but I thought he was older. Not changed much either.

I was there way too long but with no qualifications and wary of change I was stuck.

Well as mentioned in another thread ive finaly found a job after my 1 year hiatus (half of that was through being a stay at home parent). Anyways i will be a Business Analyst in the IT sector which is where i was working last year as a systems analyst.

Basically a lot of paperwork, project planning, conflict resolution with daft colleagues and so on.

BA? Hope you like meetings.

I'm a head chef.

Pro's - love cooking, creating dishes, very interested in the industry. Work with a good bunch of lads, we have a laugh, also play football, badminton, squash quite a lot on our breaks. Money is very good, I have no qualifications and would not be earning anything close to my wage elsewhere.

Cons - loooong hours. Average day is 9am-3pm, back in 4.30pm - 10.30pm. I usually do an extra hour or so per day on top of this, extra hours doesn't pay any extra though. Weekends off are hard to come by, even though I do the rotas - miss a lot of family stuff, birthdays etc. Kitchens are hot, humid, noisy, stressful and busy.

Been doing it nearly 8 years now, would love to set up my own place. Which would see the top list disappear, and the bottom list expand ten fold.

And your food is amazing.

Source : I've eaten there.

Archived