Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Job

Operating studios for 5live/Breakfast Telly/Sports Extra/Radio 4 etc. Plus producing some content for 5live's social media outlets and the like, planning and operating OBs sometimes too.

I've got an interview to be an in play trader on sports next week. This is literally my dream job. Since I was like 15 or 16 and realised you probably can't get rich off gambling I always wanted to cross the line and become one of them.

Exciting.

Whoever it was who was an odds compiler, any tips? Also is it as good a job as it should be?

Depends on what you want out of life. If going out at the weekend or going to football matches is what you are keen on it's not the job for you - it's working generally anti social hours but it has its plus points. Most people dont get to sit watching sport for a living! 

Let them know you understand the basics of betting but dont blag/bs them if you are weak on something. Usually they want keen young people who havent got massive life commitments that would stop them doing the job. Married with kids etc its not viable really because of the anti social nature of the work regarding flexibility of working hours - the sports schedule dictates your working life (dependant on what sports you are trading).

This probably seems a bit downbeat but it's definitely not the exciting glamorous life some people think it would be. Has serious perks too naturally. It's not like having a real job in many ways. 

Happy to give some more detailed advice via email if you like. PM me if so. 

Dont feel the industry offers up enough chances to people without trading/compiling experience so always happy to help out.

I'm a producer for a commercial television network.

Pros: It's a 9-5 job, creative and varied. I know lots of people get to see what I do, every day.

Cons: Can be stressful, and I have to live miles away from home. Rarely get time to come up and watch the City.

At the moment I'm looking for a job but also using O2 star trader to earn a little bit on the side. You can order sim cards for free and then get £5 commission for each one that you can get someone to top up. They also run promotions where you can win cash prizes. 

Ideally I want a job sooner rather than later but this is certainly keeping me ticking over. 

My backup phone has a O2 PAYG sim card in.

I had to take a phone back yesterday. Could not even call their free sevice number on it. The keypad had stuck. Turned ot the person who had sold it them(or a person unknown)  had had the phone blocked.Got my money back and put the sim card in an old phone I found. Works OK.

Ken, this isn't the "Bloody Mobile Phones" thread. lol

I'm the safety Director of a hyperbaric medicine department for my local Hospital. We specialize in wound care patients specifically those with Bone infections that are at risk of amputation and those with complications arising from Diabetic foot ulcers and radion burns.

What do i actually do?

Make sure patients stay alive ( its considered unethical to try and treat a dead patient)

Twist a few buttons every now and then

Try and look very serious and professional

Make sure nothing breaks ( and prepare a good yarn if it does).

Fix broken things before my boss finds out.

Pros:

Checking foxestalk at work whilst appearing to be looking at patients charts and being very studious and dedicated to their health ( i am really!)

Constantly having lunch bought for me by Reps desperate to sell me their new wound care  product ( usually 2-3 times a week).

Paid every 2 weeks

8am- 4pm monday to friday

Cons:

Forgetting to mute foxes player when with patients.

Patients relatives ( we had one lady who thought the bleach sanatizing wipes were baby wipes).

Getting excited that i might finish early and telling my wife i'll be home before 4pm only to not make it out until 6-7 because im having to deal with an emergancy situation.

Corporate lawyer.  Mental and often ridiculously laughable hours with no appreciation but good pay and interesting work.

Would I recommend it?  Depends what you're after really.  Many different ways to earn a lot more for doing a lot less - whipping boys of the city.

Plumbing and Heating Engineer

Pros- Money can be good. The firm I'm with currently gets through some very varied work- I've worked in schools, hotels, hospitals, gyms, for Crossrail as well as the MoD.

I love working with the current workmates too. It's also good seeing something achieved at the end of the day whereas that's probably not the case in an office environment. You get to meet some really nice people too. And some fit birds!

Our firm also pay travelling in both directions, which is nice if you've a job in London or Surrey way

Cons- You can get some real arseholes as customers- I'm wondering when Dominic Littlewood is going to start his 'Cowboy Customers' TV show

There's a lot of responsibility with the gas side of things that if things go wrong you could end up in jail.

I don't have a proper job, or so my mum reckons. She's probably right.

Yeah, she's dead right. How can talking about football, playing music and posting jokes on Twitter be classed as a proper job! lol

Got an interview this coming week for an apprenticeship doing admin in the logistics area of a packaging company, decent travel routes and seems an interesting job, a lot of attention to detail which I enjoy :) plus I completed a Verbal Reasoning test for a different admin apprenticeship in Leicester. Both seem great roles so I'll be digging in and researching most the weekend and early next week, fingers crossed!

I wish I did an Apprenticeship now, but a degree or nothing (looking for work) was really the only option 4 years ago.

Apparently Apprenticeships are getting more preferred by local employers due to the small labour costs involved in hiring Apprentices.

I don't have a proper job, or so my mum reckons. She's probably right.

I wish I didn't have a proper job like you!!

Wonder if premiership footballers have dreams about having a normal job!!

Can just imagine John Terry and Co talking about that in the changing rooms at half time!!!..**** this Cesc I wish I was a bloody plumber!!!

I wish I did an Apprenticeship now, but a degree or nothing (looking for work) was really the only option 4 years ago.

Apparently Apprenticeships are getting more preferred by local employers due to the small labour costs involved in hiring Apprentices.

It seems like degrees are nothing more than pre requisites. 

They are not values of knowledge.

That is experience

The firm I work for signed a new contract with Transport for London and part of it is that they must take on so many apprentices, I had to do a course last week on becoming an apprentice mentor, I've had apprentices and new starters out with me for years and usually get them to do most of the work after showing them what to do, found its the best way of learning. I'm an engineer so getting the apprentices hands dirty is better than any class room imo.

Archived