Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Job

Cheers pal...I hadn't heard of SOP,CAPAs,ISO9000s 4 months ago!!! lol!

Any tips?

The pharmaceuticals sector has many specific standards with which I'm not familiar.  However ISO 9001 is the world's most popular QA standard.  In the UK it started life as BS5750 in 1979 which was later then adopted as a European Norme then as an International Standard.  An ISO 9001 organisation has to record problems including supplier issues, in-house problems and customer complaints and take actions not only to correct them but prevent their recurrence (corrective action).  By reducing or preventing future problems the organisation undergoes continual improvement.  This is the basis of the Plan - Do - Check - Act cycle that should be fundamental to QA processes.

I don't know how far your company is down the line with QA processes but it's usually difficult to get all the issues recorded, and this only happens with management commitment to the process.  If people get disciplined for recording problems then problems end up not being recorded and the process fails.  Ideally you should report directly to the MD on QA matters.  One method of selling QA to management is to introduce a Cost of Poor Quality system.  This involves calculating the actual cost of a supplier problem, an in-house problem or a customer complaint.  There will likely be a materials cost, but there will also be a time cost for rectifying the issue, and there may be a cost accruing from loss of existing and potential future orders.  Highlighting the real cost to the business of quality issues can help get the attention of the financial people in your business which can make any changes you propose easier to gain acceptance.

You will probably hear about QA techniques such as Six Sigma, and these can be worth investigating as they can provide ideas on how to analyse your business to drive improvements.  Six Sigma has included techniques developed previously, such as Statistical Process Control (useful in continuous manufacturing environments) and Ishikawa analysis which is basically a technique for breaking down a problem into various causes.  Some managers are very keen on Lean Analysis, which focusses on removing non value added steps from processes.  It's a valuable tool but I've seen it go horribly wrong more than once.  In my opinion this technique is best used by people with a deep knowledge of the business concerned.  There are many books and articles on these subjects.

If you don't have any training already, I'd recommend that you undergo Internal quality auditor training.  This will assist you in reviewing your own processes.  Carrying out internal audits, which compare documented system requirements to actual practices, is a great way to understand all the processes of your company's business and will make you a more valuable asset to the company.  A good internal auditor will be able to spot an issue before an external assessor finds it, and thus help your company gain or retain the certifications (such as ISO 9001) that it needs to carry out its business and retain the confidence of its clients.

The pharmaceuticals sector has many specific standards with which I'm not familiar. However ISO 9001 is the world's most popular QA standard. In the UK it started life as BS5750 in 1979 which was later then adopted as a European Norme then as an International Standard. An ISO 9001 organisation has to record problems including supplier issues, in-house problems and customer complaints and take actions not only to correct them but prevent their recurrence (corrective action). By reducing or preventing future problems the organisation undergoes continual improvement. This is the basis of the Plan - Do - Check - Act cycle that should be fundamental to QA processes.

I don't know how far your company is down the line with QA processes but it's usually difficult to get all the issues recorded, and this only happens with management commitment to the process. If people get disciplined for recording problems then problems end up not being recorded and the process fails. Ideally you should report directly to the MD on QA matters. One method of selling QA to management is to introduce a Cost of Poor Quality system. This involves calculating the actual cost of a supplier problem, an in-house problem or a customer complaint. There will likely be a materials cost, but there will also be a time cost for rectifying the issue, and there may be a cost accruing from loss of existing and potential future orders. Highlighting the real cost to the business of quality issues can help get the attention of the financial people in your business which can make any changes you propose easier to gain acceptance.

You will probably hear about QA techniques such as Six Sigma, and these can be worth investigating as they can provide ideas on how to analyse your business to drive improvements. Six Sigma has included techniques developed previously, such as Statistical Process Control (useful in continuous manufacturing environments) and Ishikawa analysis which is basically a technique for breaking down a problem into various causes. Some managers are very keen on Lean Analysis, which focusses on removing non value added steps from processes. It's a valuable tool but I've seen it go horribly wrong more than once. In my opinion this technique is best used by people with a deep knowledge of the business concerned. There are many books and articles on these subjects.

If you don't have any training already, I'd recommend that you undergo Internal quality auditor training. This will assist you in reviewing your own processes. Carrying out internal audits, which compare documented system requirements to actual practices, is a great way to understand all the processes of your company's business and will make you a more valuable asset to the company. A good internal auditor will be able to spot an issue before an external assessor finds it, and thus help your company gain or retain the certifications (such as ISO 9001) that it needs to carry out its business and retain the confidence of its clients.

Cheers for all that.

I've started some internal auditing and our firm is very good on employees who record issues.Icr also heard about that man ishikawo about the 8D projects etc...still a lot to learn...cheers

I'll put it in here.

Is there much point in doing a Masters (at 23)?; as apparently you get much more job offers and higher salaries etc.

I'm thinking of doing it in around a few years time, get some experience under belt first, but people say do it now etc etc and it's irritating me slightly.

Raj you sexy man lesbian do you guys print on paper or plastic?

We print on board Karl.You know all your medicine cartons... Your nurofens,Vicks etc that's what we print.

I'll put it in here.

Is there much point in doing a Masters (at 23)?; as apparently you get much more job offers and higher salaries etc.

I'm thinking of doing it in around a few years time, get some experience under belt first, but people say do it now etc etc and it's irritating me slightly.

Probably depends on which sector you are going into. For my sector, you need a Masters just to get started.

I was working in the outdoor pursuits industry. I started out as an apprentice activity instructor and worked up to an activity manager. Great job and training opportunities, gained well over 10k worth of qualifications. Pay was awfull though even when I became a manager.

Quit that last year and have returned to education. Currently studying LLB Law and would like to start a career with the Police once I've finished. Would like to do criminal investigation type work.

I'll put it in here.

Depends - while I know a friend who has an extra 10k on his salary compared to those with the same undergrad degree due to their masters; the wage rise doesn't necessarily come, and job offers: so far I've found it to be the same as friends who just did a BSc: looking for more experience first.

If you're planning to do it, I'd do it relatively soon if you can get the funding and afford the living costs (I think SFE only do tuition funding for second courses, not sure if that includes postgrad quals) before you've got too many commitments to risk giving up.

I've thought the same about a PhD but I was advised at a job interview that if I was thinking about it, better to do it soon than 5-10 years down the line.

When I worked in security I dozed off  more than once in my chair. Was woken up a couple of times by a patrol driver tapping on a window or walking in the room. It was long boring shifts and I only had 4/5 hours sleep at  home. Got home at 5 went bed  just after 6 got up at 11 to be at woek for 3pm. (my last place) Then 12 hours day 6-6 at weekends.Fri Mon Tues off.

Work in a bookies. Has its pros as it's a chilling job, allows me to watch sport all day but I deal with dickheads everyday, the pays not great and I have to do days like today, 12 hours on my own without a break.

Work in a bookies. Has its pros as it's a chilling job, allows me to watch sport all day but I deal with dickheads everyday, the pays not great and I have to do days like today, 12 hours on my own without a break.

Surely that's illegal?

Visual merchandiser/retail manager

Long days, long commutes but I work with all sorts of people young and not so young

Love pushing the boundaries and the challenge it offers. Decent cash, good perks

But most important you gotta enjoy a job if your doing it 60hrs a week!

Archived