Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Job

Retired. Which is the best job in the world but you've got to plan for it. People who say 'I'm going to spend alot of time in the garden' will be dead in a week. I have alot of sympathy with anybody who is trying to plan now as the pension industry is a disaster area compared to how it was for me.

When I did work it was as an Air Traffic Controller from 1970, I started when I was 18 and had some great times. The job is always interesting, sometimes scary, but you work with some real characters and in a job where the responsibility rests with you, but, to an even greater degree with the pilots you're working with. You do get moved around if you work for the main employer, (NATS), but not so much that you can't put down roots. Most postings involve shift work which can be a problem, I never had a problem with nights but hated early start mornings which got earlier and earlier as time went on. Stress can be an issue and affect you in one of two ways, some get short tempered at work, some don't but end up with medical issues in later life. On the other hand, some it doesn't seem to affect at all but they are very few. Pay is good but you are constantly monitored and examined for competency and must keep it up which is as it should be. A major incident will live with you for ever and major major incidents could see you in jail if you are found culpable. Having said that do I regret doing it? Not for a moment! 

Before I started my ATC training I worked as a labourer for Wigston Council which was one of the funniest and laugh a minute jobs I could imagine but I wouldn't have wanted to do it in later life! We drank more beer during working hours than I like to think about and still laid tons of ashphalt. We were regulars at every pub in the Wigston council area but only between 8 & 6!

Retired. Which is the best job in the world but you've got to plan for it. People who say 'I'm going to spend alot of time in the garden' will be dead in a week. I have alot of sympathy with anybody who is trying to plan now as the pension industry is a disaster area compared to how it was for me.

When I did work it was as an Air Traffic Controller from 1970, I started when I was 18 and had some great times. The job is always interesting, sometimes scary, but you work with some real characters and in a job where the responsibility rests with you, but, to an even greater degree with the pilots you're working with. You do get moved around if you work for the main employer, (NATS), but not so much that you can't put down roots. Most postings involve shift work which can be a problem, I never had a problem with nights but hated early start mornings which got earlier and earlier as time went on. Stress can be an issue and affect you in one of two ways, some get short tempered at work, some don't but end up with medical issues in later life. On the other hand, some it doesn't seem to affect at all but they are very few. Pay is good but you are constantly monitored and examined for competency and must keep it up which is as it should be. A major incident will live with you for ever and major major incidents could see you in jail if you are found culpable. Having said that do I regret doing it? Not for a moment! 

Before I started my ATC training I worked as a labourer for Wigston Council which was one of the funniest and laugh a minute jobs I could imagine but I wouldn't have wanted to do it in later life! We drank more beer during working hours than I like to think about and still laid tons of ashphalt. We were regulars at every pub in the Wigston council area but only between 8 & 6!

What's the pay like out of interest?  I was talking to a friend while boarding a plane about the stresses of work and we got on to air traffic controllers - must be tough.

LCEA (Low Carbon Energy Assessor) for an Engineering Consultancy.

No, I'm not one of those annoying idiots who turn up at your door, asking you to change supplier, as most people think. I do a lot of CAD work on electrical & mechanical designs, mainly for large domestic places and historic buildings, as well as for schools, universities etc. The main area of work is building up 3D models of the buildings in software to assess their energy usage, heat loss/gain etc and to find the most efficient way of running the building. This can then be presented either in the form of EPC or BRUKL documentation, or in a Sustainability Report.

Yep, I get that it still sounds boring, but it's not too bad. I get to go out and do some surveying at some good places....Madresfield Court in Malvern, Belvoir Castle, Warwick Castle etc.

Ideally, I'd like to go back to Uni again and go all the way with something like Physical Geography and work down that route, though as Finners said, it's a bit more difficult around this age, given the commitments and need to work full time.

Ah Pushing Tin! Great film!

What's the pay like out of interest? I was talking to a friend while boarding a plane about the stresses of work and we got on to air traffic controllers - must be tough.

ATC's are on a very good wage, think you are probably looking at 40-50k.

Ah Pushing Tin! Great film!

Made me laugh! The U.S. is a bit of another world ATC wise.

What's the pay like out of interest?  I was talking to a friend while boarding a plane about the stresses of work and we got on to air traffic controllers - must be tough.

I'm pretty much out of the loop these days but it depends very much on where you work and who you work for. East Midlands for instance employ their own ATCOs but many places use a contractor. Top money would be for the area radar people at the London ATCC at Swanwick and the top of the pay scale there would be around £100K! It could be slightly more since I retired. (I wasn't working there).  

ATC's are on a very good wage, think you are probably looking at 40-50k.

That would probably be the wage for the people at somewhere like Humberside. Hours of opening/ratings you're qualified for etc make it very variable. It's a job that not alot of people think of or can qualify for so there's always a lot of demand for qualified people, this drives the wages. When I first started it was quite a poor paying job and I remember going out to celebrate with some mates when I got £20 a week! When I worked for the council I got £15 a week in 1970 then went on to work in ATC the same year and got a pay cut to £12.50 (actually £12/10- as it was predecimalisation, yes I'm bloody old compared to most of you)!

By the way Costock, still got the helicopters near you?

I work at a college as a Janitor, even though I feel I'm smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on the blackboard. Like half an equation and I just figure it out.

Are you a "mild-mannered janitor"? Are you "quicker than the human eye"? Gulp..... Are you Hong Kong Phooey?!  :whistle:

Not sure if Alf gets the reference...

I admit it! Just Googled it....the film Good Will Hunting, I assume? I've never seen that and never get to the cinema these days.

Correct me if I've still got it wrong, as I've obviously been outsmarted by Janitor Kinowie.

All that occurred to me was Homer Simpson and Hong Kong Phooey, which probably says quite a lot.  :D

I admit it! Just Googled it....the film Good Will Hunting, I assume? I've never seen that and never get to the cinema these days.

Correct me if I've still got it wrong, as I've obviously been outsmarted by Janitor Kinowie.

All that occurred to me was Homer Simpson and Hong Kong Phooey, which probably says quite a lot.  :D

Good Will Hunting via Step Brothers. I manufacture bubbles for spirit levels.

Financial analyst at an american auto manufacturer. I basically sit at a desk all day and stare at Excel spreadsheets.

Pros: Stable company, good benefits, decent wage.

Cons: Everyone that I work with in Finance are old, conservative, and completely devoid of personality. People take themselves and their careers way too seriously, and do not know how to interact with other humans. Also, commuting downtown is a nightmare.

Administration/ Data Input. Quite enjoy it despite system issues and plenty of gaps in productivity (especially this week), but am trained in other areas so can cover those if required.

That would probably be the wage for the people at somewhere like Humberside. Hours of opening/ratings you're qualified for etc make it very variable. It's a job that not alot of people think of or can qualify for so there's always a lot of demand for qualified people, this drives the wages. When I first started it was quite a poor paying job and I remember going out to celebrate with some mates when I got £20 a week! When I worked for the council I got £15 a week in 1970 then went on to work in ATC the same year and got a pay cut to £12.50 (actually £12/10- as it was predecimalisation, yes I'm bloody old compared to most of you)!

By the way Costock, still got the helicopters near you?

Ha yes pal the helicopters are just up the road from me.

Financial analyst at an american auto manufacturer. I basically sit at a desk all day and stare at Excel spreadsheets.

Pros: Stable company, good benefits, decent wage.

Cons: Everyone that I work with in Finance are old, conservative, and completely devoid of personality. People take themselves and their careers way too seriously, and do not know how to interact with other humans. Also, commuting downtown is a nightmare.

Do you 'love this City'?

No relation to a City player of the 1960's. Alan Woollett?

Guest ttfn

Qualified Accountant in practice, then moved into industry 18 months ago to an American Corp.

Manage a team of 5, one in india. Work as the Assistant FC to a group of 6 UK subsidiaries. Varied work and travel, no day is the same. Dont bean count like most accountants, role is much more varied with main responsibility of month end reporting. Look after mobile phone contracts across the group, fleet management etc.

Would recommend anyone festering in practice to get out as soon as you can unless you have ambitions to become a partner. I have doubled my salary in 3 years outside of practice

Good lad

No relation to a City player of the 1960's. Alan Woollett?

Nope. Just remember him well as a player and reading his quotes in the 1969 cup final official club publication where he had the most bizarre explanation for picking up an injury during the cup run I'd ever heard!......' I started getting trouble from a foot injury. it turned out to be an inflamed tendon, probably caused by wearing wellington boots too large when walking through the snow with my collie Kim'. That must be the football equivalent of the dog eating your homework.

Archived