Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Top ten of City's WORST ever players (ie the players to play the worst in a City shirt)

When discussing city's worst ever players, surely you have to judge them by the playing standards of the squad they were playing in?

So during the mid 00s dark period, you wouldn't be able to have the likes of Neilson or Maybury. Yes they were poor, but they did their job to the standard that the team required at the time.

An example of a player not at the standard would be Junior Lewis. Another would be Ryan McGivern.

Oh and to those who mentioned Kisnorbo. He was one half of the best central defensive pairing in the league that season. Him and Macauley. We conceded the second fewest goals that season (1 behind Wolverhampton). We got relegated on the fact that we couldn't create chances - it wasn't a striker issue it was the midfield.

And to the muppet who mentioned Barry Hayles. Just don't even go there. The man achieved almost legendary status just for being Barry Hayles whilst he was here (didn't some Leicester fans go to cheltenham to watch him play?).

And the even bigger muppet who mentioned Coatsworth. This forum used to have standards....

Same amount of goals in his first season as Ulloa.

He was crap for our team at the time, and his fee was ludicrous. But there are many more players from 04-09 that were far worse.

He scored eleven in his whole City career - fifty eight games.

Can't be bothered to read all this thread, but I can't believe Paul Reid was mentioned in the OP!

Has anybody mentioned Norman Leet?

I remember as a nine year old having my dad explain Norman Leet to me. "He's not a proper player, he trains with the proper players but if too many of the proper players are injured or banned they have to let him have a game." I recall some awful late challenges when he managed to get close enough to the player he was supposed to be marking.

Junior Lewis, I loved the way he would telegraph where he was going to pass across field by shaping his gangly body then pointing, yes pointing, to its destination.

Lee Marshall, just ran around a lot, on the rare occasions that he got involved with the game he'd give the ball away or concede free kicks around the box.

Josh Low, being a right winger myself I watched him closely for an entire half then concluded the only thing he had over me was fitness, he'd never make himself available and angled his runs into blind alleys but mainly just anonymous not getting involved. I was baffled he was a pro at all.

Graeme Fenton, the classic O'Neill quote after a game at Chelsea when asked if Heskey had been only 50% fit, "A dead Emile Heskey would be better than the alternative" - Fenton was fit and available on the bench!

Dennis Wise, we'd been spoilt by having one of the finest midfields in the League then this scum arrived, all sideways (and intercepted) balls, push, shove, argue, pinch arses, just a year after he'd been in the England team, he looked pants.

Mark Grew, seemed baffling at the time, Wally (Wallington) was a class act who had helped us to promotion, lets leave him out and put a guy from the Hair Bear Bunch in his place. I remember shouting "I hate you, I want my Wally" as Notts County's fourth nestled in the net. I think John O'Neill and Ian Wilson joined in.

And Reidy, that backpass v Forest away that burst our collective balloon of optimism minutes in to the game. A few minutes later someone shouted "Why don't you F Off back to Birmingham (birth place) Reid", Reidy turned and shouted "Why don't you F off yourself" whilst his opponent breezed past with a cigar and slippers on.

Wayne "Corner flag" Clarke (Named him this due to their similar amount of movement over 90 minutes). Supposedly a decent finisher he wasn't interested in anything else like work, chasing, running, mooooove.

Mark Venus, I think he became a bit more solid later on but those early days we were just playing with a one or two goal handicap. There used to be sweepstakes on when his first cock up would happen, if you got anything higher than thirty minutes you tore your ticket up.

For some reason Platnauer , Spearing and the two kids that MON kept selecting as he was the only person connected with the club who hadn't realised they couldn't play the game Wilson? Campbell?) really stick out in my memory . That however does a disservice to the following roll of honour:

Curtis

Lammie Robertson

Colin Gordon

Guy Branston

Mohan

Rolling

alan Paris

Whitbread

Edworthy

Worley

Gordon might not have been a particularly good player but I'd have taken 10 of him over 1 Ashley Ward. 3rd time I've mentioned him now and yes, he was that bad for us

Wasn't Wayne Clarke part of the Lineker deal as was Tommy English for Jim Melrose. Mark Blake was once our record signing, pretty doggo think some of the McClintock players have got off lightly.

Only just seen this post

Wayne Clarke was part of the deal that took on of my favourites, Mike Newell to Everton. Newell was rated at £1m and we got Clarke plus £500k. If you think about it, Wayne Clarke would have been our record signing at the time if we'd payed cash for him.

*shiver*

Completely agree with all those who have said Josh Low, nobody else comes near in my opinion. A League 2 player at best who found himself in the Championship, must have been in dreamland.

In terms of performances delivered in consideration of the tall reputation that he arrived with, Ryan Smith stands out. Five first class goals in 130+ career appearances for a winger says it all.

Only Spider Kalac actually deserves to be on that list, and he went on to have a decent career elsewhere.

Anyone remember Tony Spearing? Pretty awful.

Also Ricky Hill. Didn't live up to his billing as our 'England international signing' !! lol

Dennis Wise must also be up there.

Ricky Hill was THE worst...could not be arsed one bit.

Agree with Stuart Wilson. I had a lazy day in bed not long ago and watched a few season reviews on you tube of the MON era. Even Wilson's goals were scuffs and actually made him look even worse than if he didn't score them.

Rab Douglas

De Vries

Nathan Blake

Matt Mills

Dennis Wise

Junior Lewis

Tommy English

Steve Moran

Tony Spearing

Andy Johnson

Carl Cort

DJ Campbell