Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Tell that to the England manager who said he could get into the squad, in his own words.

Look at the Euro 2000 team not long after he played for Turkey with the likes of Wise, Barry, Barmby and a 33 year old Paul ince. He was easily performing to their levels around that time. Regular starter, of course not. But a fringe player he was good enough.

Ince was a DM so he isn't even the same position as Muzzy, Denis Wise was on fire in 2000 for Chelsea, and Nick Barmby was a awesome player

If I see another person suggest Puncheon or Wilson instead I'll scream. Puncheon, a man who scored and created less last year despite being a set piece taker and Wilson a man who averaged less goals per minute than Vardy did in the Championship.  Yep... that's the answer right there.

Still really not sure over Rooney being 'world class', sorry.

He isn't World class, if you had to pick a 25 man Squad of the best players in the world he would not be in it, Over his career at United he would have made the worlds best squad a few times but he is not consistent enough to be world class IMO.  

And we're playing San Marino. This isn't a huge quarter-final against Argentina, Brazil or Germany, it's a qualifier against a minnow when we've all but secured our place for next summer. You'd think we were heading into a do-or-die knockout match.

Maybe having more options might give the manager the chance to rotate and tinker (Huh huh, hel be used to tinker wiv Cloudio Ranerio) in the lesser matches and keep the top players fresh for the big matches?

Ince was a DM so he isn't even the same position as Muzzy, Denis Wise was on fire in 2000 for Chelsea, and Nick Barmby was a awesome player

Dennis Wise (nearly 34 at the time), so on fire that they sold him to Leicester a year later. Nick Barmby awesome.... ok now I know you're being sarcastic.

Can someone just explain why Rooney is classed as World Class?

Because he's banged in loads of goals against third rate international teams and plays for the greatest team in the world... obvs!!!

And we're playing San Marino. This isn't a huge quarter-final against Argentina, Brazil or Germany, it's a qualifier against a minnow when we've all but secured our place for next summer. You'd think we were heading into a do-or-die knockout match.

Maybe having more options might give the manager the chance to rotate and tinker (Huh huh, hel be used to tinker wiv Cloudio Ranerio) in the lesser matches and keep the top players fresh for the big matches?

But who would you consider 'top' players in the England team? Some are quite over-rated imo.

Heard many times the likes of Townsend, Kane and Oxlade-Chamberlain being called up-and-coming England 'stars'.

For this instance, I hope we drop Milner and Henderson.

Dennis Wise (nearly 34 at the time), so on fire that they sold him to Leicester a year later. Nick Barmby awesome.... ok now I know you're being sarcastic.

Because he's banged in loads of goals against third rate international teams and plays for the greatest team in the world... obvs!!!

I know you're agreeing with me, but as you're the first ti answer that's why I quote you-

The stats you need to know
  • Robbie Keane has now scored five goals in total in the Republic of Ireland's two Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar.
  • Only four Europeans - Ferenc Puskas (84, Hungary), Sandor Kocsis (75, Hungary), Miroslav Klose (71, Germany) and Gerd Muller (68, West Germany) - have more international goals than Keane (67).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34063032

Is Robbie Keane world class?

I know you're agreeing with me, but as you're the first ti answer that's why I quote you-

• Robbie Keane has now scored five goals in total in the Republic of Ireland's two Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar.
  • Only four Europeans - Ferenc Puskas (84, Hungary), Sandor Kocsis (75, Hungary), Miroslav Klose (71, Germany) and Gerd Muller (68, West Germany) - have more international goals than Keane (67).

no but he has played roughly the same amount of internationals as Rooney and scored alot more goals in a weaker team so Rooney is definetly not world class either.

Hope has a good game tonight but it's a bit of a no win situation for him, other than an opportunity to play and score for England.

Plays well and it's only San Marino! Has no impact and it could be the end of his England career.

I hope he gets the chance to show his strengths. His ability to knick the ball in front of defenders, especially part time ones means he will probably win a penalty.

Keane played for Spuds and Liverpool so the press will be up his arse.

• I Don't mean to jump in but as good as Izzet was for Leicester even if he had been eligible for England he was never getting a cap, he was a quality player but he wasn't at that level

I think others have kind of made my point for me but Muzzy was more than good enough for a cap. He was the talisman for a top ten side that was winning cups and playing in Europe.

In any case 1998-99 was around the time he should really have been getting capped and some of the players listed earlier (Gazza and Ince) were on the decline and people like Lampard were decent but not yet the players they went on to become.

To me, at that time it was quite conceivable that he could have gone for decent money to a top club and had he done he'd have been playing for England undoubtedly. It's not the case that he wasn't good enough, more just that the selection policy favoured clubs over individuals. There's no way the likes of Shelvey and Delph would have got a cap back then.

People used to moan about that but then now players like Vardy are being called up on form they still moan. An England manager literally cannot win!

Rooney was world class at some point in his career. But people are deluded if they think that's still the case.

Just because he was world class at one point, doesn't mean he always will be, 'cus by that logic, we may aswell still be playing Paul Gascoine in the team. Rooney's obviously been on a sharp decline for a while now. If someone offered me to trade Rooney for Vardy, I would turn them down without even a second thought.

Rooney has never been a 'world class' footballer. He's a good, talented footballer. One of the best the country has produced in a number of years I'd say.

But that's it.. that's all.

He's not in the same bracket as the true world class players of recent years. Of which there have been precious few.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and possibly Suarez I'd suggest are 'world-class' players at present.

Then the likes of Pirlo, Buffon and going back further Zidane, Maldini and the like.

Rooney could never be bracketed with this standard of player.

Archived