Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

I love Mahrez as much as the next man, but he is destined for bigger things, when it does happen I hope he goes abroad PSG, Barca or Real. A fee of around £40m would be about right. Gutted if we went for anything less or he goes to another English team. Going to enjoy him play while it lasts.

Given the long term plan of becoming a top 5 club, its fair to see we have surpassed that - over achieved if anything*

• Is it a case of Mahrez being too good for us?
  • Do we need 4/5 years of being a top 5 club to stand a chance of holding onto someone of mahrez's ability?
  • Do we need to accept the fact that leicester city, no matter how great we may be, just cant compete with the history of european giants and glamour that comes with playing for these teams and likely, we never will.

* i know the season isnt even over yet but i hope you get my point

Didn't people say he would leave last summer? I think he will only leave if we stop progressing as a club. What if he leaves and we win the Champions league while he is on Barcalona's bench? I think he believes this club is going places and while he can see evidence of progress and getting first team football he will stay. Its if we stall or drop off to mid table next season we need to be worried of him leaving, not when we are top of the league and could win our first premier league title with him being a solid contributor to our success.

like i've said all along, he stays until he makes it obvious he wants to go. money doesn't matter. we've got loads of money, we're going to get loads more tv money and we're getting a ridiculous bonus of champions league money that nobody would've accounted for this time last year. £30m? 60m? doubt the club really care. no offer is going to come to the club and them think "well no matter how important he is we can't refuse that". cos we can. 

once he decides he's good enough to play for barcelona/too good to play for us, he'll leave and we'll let him. 

I am in touch with reality thats why I said what I believe much like you giving your opinion which I would reply with your opening line. No need for the aggressive and patronising response though. I don't think the club will sell unless the offer is worth it and losing Mahrez when we could be playing in the CL is a stupid business decision and not worth it for them, financially or team strength wise.

Moving to Barca is short term ambition (money, boyhood team etc) he is ambitious as a player so he would have a limited platform to show his amazing talent. Riyad has been mardy when he was benched in the past, how will he feel if he doesn't even get to start or make the bench for a team like Barca, he would be slaughtered in the Spanish press if he acts up. They would never drop Neymar or Messi for Riyad no matter what and he'll never get to show the world how good he is playing for them off the bench or in the cup.

I named some top class players that are similar to Riyad who would walk in and contribute at a high level, that's what we need to fill any gap not potential. Who are these lesser known players out there that have the potential? At least give us names to check out rather than a blank statement.

When did he sulk when he was benched? Thought the games he was benched on he came on and did the business (Southampton away springs to mind), and then then when he was reinstated to the team he was at the same level? Maybe I missed something.

When did he sulk when he was benched? Thought the games he was benched on he came on and did the business (Southampton away springs to mind), and then then when he was reinstated to the team he was at the same level? Maybe I missed something.

Making things up. No evidence to show he did

I'll happily thank him and wish him luck if he goes at the end of the season.

Until then we've got a title to win. Mahrez leaving the club is a very minor issue at this point.

If we finish top he can do whatever he wants and I won't even be disappointed.

I believe this too, mostly due to him having very little player power apart from throwing a sulk if he tries to force a move through, and no player comes out the other end looking good.  

I think some of the fans are being blinded by Barca as if the whole footballing world bends over for them.  Players being courted might but the clubs don't as they are the ones that will be losing their future talent and potential big transfer fee or their best player.  If i'm running a business I want to keep hold of these so that we grow not be in a worse position having to compete on a higher level than previously.  If I was the clubs owners I wouldn't sell to any of the 'big five' that had the secret meeting last week.

If a Prem club puts a bid in it will have to cost more than what they have spent on lesser players.  He wont go for less than Benteke, Martial, Pedro (who we should try to go for)Lamela, any Man City player.  If it's from a club like Bayern/Barca/Real then I hope that the club stings them on the back end like Monaco have done to United and Atletico did to Barca for Turan.

If we let Mahrez at the end of the season being in the top 3 a CL place, we will look like the biggest idiots in the footballing world.

We got Gray for a cheap price, i'd be annoyed if I was a Brum fan the same as if we end up losing Chilwell to Arsenal.

The scouts are good but they will never find another Mahrez/Vardy but I hope i'm proven wrong.  Our targets will be people already on the radar making a name for themselves and able to fit in the team offering something else and more, if thats the case then we should already him in place ready to fill the void left by Mahrez.

If he wants to go in the summer then it will show no loyalty to the club that has given him this chance to shine and short term ambition rather than a career defining move.  If he puts in a transfer request then fuch him as that means we doesn't want to be at this wonderful club and good luck in the final 10 mins of a game once Messi has scored 4 goals.  If he doesn't then i'll continue to love that wrinkly brow and step over of his.

The nearest players out there to Mahrez that could fill the gap left by him are Yarmolenko at Dynamo Kiev, Willian or Mkhitaryan at Dortmund.  All would cost us a fortune and would be on 100/150K+ wages to join and have less impressive stats this season.

Conclusion of this post: either you stay or you are bad    :doh: 

A lot of people commenting about sitting on Barcelona's bench...are you joking?

I know we, as Leicester fans, have a loyalty to this club but Mahrez doesn't. It's most players dreams to play for a club like Barca, and I'd go if I was him and I'm a Leicester fan.

I would hope he'd back himself to get into their first team, believe in himself and have a crack at making himself one of the best players in the world, or at least part of one of the best teams in the world. Plus living in Barcelona or living in Leicester?!

interesting what Pogba said about him, didn't know they were room mates.

also his old club seem quite bitter about him

Ah, the Le Havre folk. Well, maybe he rightfully came across as rather selfish back then - let's not forget that he was a late bloomer and between 20 and 23 years old at the time, thus still lacking discipline and a manager and club that could get the best out of him.

Then again, he's criticized the standard of play in Ligue 2 openly before:

It was difficult for me when I started in the first team because in the French second division it is always so defensive, everybody seems to be playing for 0-0.

Speaks volumes about his attitude that he's grown more into a teamplayer here at Leicester (although he still has the tendency of going overboard with fancy tricks that lead to nowhere at times).

Archived