Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

Mahrez The Super Hero

Watched a bit of this.. is it just him diving everywhere? the oppo fans will love it :)

This concept that he may stay with us because he owes us something is absurd, its like all the big corporations who say how great they are for the community by employing people. Lets face it, if you are not performing in the mines or on the football pitch, you are out.

Mahrez is employed and paid to do his job, the fact that he does is better than we expected is brilliant, but he owes us nothing more than his commitment each week.

Watched a bit of this.. is it just him diving everywhere? the oppo fans will love it :)

This concept that he may stay with us because he owes us something is absurd, its like all the big corporations who say how great they are for the community by employing people. Lets face it, if you are not performing in the mines or on the football pitch, you are out.

Mahrez is employed and paid to do his job, the fact that he does is better than we expected is brilliant, but he owes us nothing more than his commitment each week.

He owes us his commitment each week for the duration of the contract he has signed, as long as we choose to hold him to it.

A lot of people commenting about sitting on Barcelona's bench...are you joking?

I know we, as Leicester fans, have a loyalty to this club but Mahrez doesn't. It's most players dreams to play for a club like Barca, and I'd go if I was him and I'm a Leicester fan.

I would hope he'd back himself to get into their first team, believe in himself and have a crack at making himself one of the best players in the world, or at least part of one of the best teams in the world. Plus living in Barcelona or living in Leicester?!

Guess it depends if his goal is to play every week or have that kind of role near the end of his career

He owes us his commitment each week for the duration of the contract he has signed, as long as we choose to hold him to it.

Guess it depends if his goal is to play every week or have that kind of role near the end of his career

When did Riyad wear that kit? And why? 

Just look at the last three posts. Funny that they want him to stay to do the job while not appreciating him. Such arrogance !!

Just look at the last three posts. Funny that they want him to stay to do the job while not appreciating him. Such arrogance !!

what are you on about?

If he's happy to be a key bench player and not start any games then that's up to him and fine. He would play the pedro role most likely but obviously be a far better player

what are you on about?

If he's happy to be a key bench player and not start any games then that's up to him and fine. He would play the pedro role most likely but obviously be a far better player

He could earn a starting role down the road. Things change and no one can tell what will happen. It will be up to him (and his luck) whether he can make it or break it.

The problem is whether the club has the patience to develop players with high ceilings with meaningful playing time. Finding another player like Mahrez is very improbable in any case. With the scouting infrastructure the club has, it's more probable, but still improbable.

And the concern is that if the club grows big enough, suddenly you're in that "tweener" range where you can't afford to take as many risks leaving a starting spot open for "raw" players like Mahrez and Kante when the opportunity cost is someone more established. That's the conundrum big clubs face all the time -- why they pass on obvious talents like Mahrez and Kante in their first go-arounds --, and it's an interesting set of thoughts as our club continues to grow too.

A lot of the stuff Riyad does these days is exactly the same as what he did in the Championship. We're set up differently now which accentuates his talent. I'm not sure he's developed that much since then other than contributing more defensively and just in general blending in. Every replacement will have to adapt one way or another and I'm not saying bring in raw players like Gray in a like for like.

I'm saying there are many developed (and affordable) players out there who could fit our style very well. Maybe, as you say, it's improbable we find one who performs the same was as Riyad does now, but less will do too.

I don't think we should concern ourselves yet about the club growing that big. Afterall, we've not achieved anything yet as the staff and players say (other than Premier League survival). Besides, your argument about trying 'raw players like Mahrez and Kanté'... well given they might just contribute to a first ever top league championship in their second and first seasons respectively, it kind of blows the argument out of the water, doesn't it?

You also ignore the fact that our predicament last summer was getting a replacement for Cambiasso and dealing with a new manager to get Premier league survival, which is/was a far greater risk factor. You'd hope the club/owners have learned to give staff and players a chance to prove themselves after these two seasons.

I am in touch with reality thats why I said what I believe much like you giving your opinion which I would reply with your opening line. No need for the aggressive and patronising response though. I don't think the club will sell unless the offer is worth it and losing Mahrez when we could be playing in the CL is a stupid business decision and not worth it for them, financially or team strength wise.

Moving to Barca is short term ambition (money, boyhood team etc) he is ambitious as a player so he would have a limited platform to show his amazing talent. Riyad has been mardy when he was benched in the past, how will he feel if he doesn't even get to start or make the bench for a team like Barca, he would be slaughtered in the Spanish press if he acts up. They would never drop Neymar or Messi for Riyad no matter what and he'll never get to show the world how good he is playing for them off the bench or in the cup.

I named some top class players that are similar to Riyad who would walk in and contribute at a high level, that's what we need to fill any gap not potential. Who are these lesser known players out there that have the potential? At least give us names to check out rather than a blank statement.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Your original comment just smacked of fan naïvety, stating how Mahrez has very little say and only risks damaging his image, how he would be stupid to push through a move to Barce-frickin-lona for personal ambition, and claiming we would be a laughing stock if it did happen (really?). Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal were laughing stocks too when they sold their star players then?

It is classless to claim a lack of loyalty from Mahrez if he goes to a giant like Barcelona. You're probably right that he won't be a starter and maybe not even a regular. But this fella was playing for a small club in the French second division as later as 2014!

We gave Mahrez a chance, yes, and he took it with both hands and repaid the club's belief manifold. £400k for a Premier League Player of the Season candidate? What more does he need to do? Is the only way he can show loyalty by staying here for the remainder of his contract or his career?

You claim our scouting department will never find another player like Mahrez or Vardy. Well they found Kanté less than a year ago (who's only gone and proved he's the best midfielder in the league this season) and picked up Gray (jury's out on this one) on the cheap. Of course, they might not find a player who will be just as succesful as Mahrez has been, but try to manage your expectations a bit.

I don't claim to know any 'lesser known' players that could replace him and if I did, I would apply to become a scout for the club :P But this is what they are there for, it's their job to identify transfer targets and given the departments' success over the past four years, you kind of trust them to do it well.

For the record, I think Sofiane Boufal from Lille looks like a great prospect with many similar qualities to Mahrez. If his mentality and drive is similar too, I could see him performing well for a team like ours. He won't come as cheaply but who cares. Frank Acheampong from Anderlecht and Pione Sisto from Midtjylland look really good too, and best of all, IMO, is that these guys play mainly on the left side which means Albrighton could be moved over to his stronger right.

A lot of the stuff Riyad does these days is exactly the same as what he did in the Championship. We're set up differently now which accentuates his talent. I'm not sure he's developed that much since then other than contributing more defensively and just in general blending in. Every replacement will have to adapt one way or another and I'm not saying bring in raw players like Gray in a like for like.

I'm saying there are many developed (and affordable) players out there who could fit our style very well. Maybe, as you say, it's improbable we find one who performs the same was as Riyad does now, but less will do too.

I don't think we should concern ourselves yet about the club growing that big. Afterall, we've not achieved anything yet as the staff and players say (other than Premier League survival). Besides, your argument about trying 'raw players like Mahrez and Kanté'... well given they might just contribute to a first ever top league championship in their second and first seasons respectively, it kind of blows the argument out of the water, doesn't it?

You also ignore the fact that our predicament last summer was getting a replacement for Cambiasso and dealing with a new manager to get Premier league survival, which is/was a far greater risk factor. You'd hope the club/owners have learned to give staff and players a chance to prove themselves after these two seasons.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Your original comment just smacked of fan naïvety, stating how Mahrez has very little say and only risks damaging his image, how he would be stupid to push through a move to Barce-frickin-lona for personal ambition, and claiming we would be a laughing stock if it did happen (really?). Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal were laughing stocks too when they sold their star players then?

It is classless to claim a lack of loyalty from Mahrez if he goes to a giant like Barcelona. You're probably right that he won't be a starter and maybe not even a regular. But this fella was playing for a small club in the French second division as later as 2014!

We gave Mahrez a chance, yes, and he took it with both hands and repaid the club's belief manifold. £400k for a Premier League Player of the Season candidate? What more does he need to do? Is the only way he can show loyalty by staying here for the remainder of his contract or his career?

You claim our scouting department will never find another player like Mahrez or Vardy. Well they found Kanté less than a year ago (who's only gone and proved he's the best midfielder in the league this season) and picked up Gray (jury's out on this one) on the cheap. Of course, they might not find a player who will be just as succesful as Mahrez has been, but try to manage your expectations a bit.

I don't claim to know any 'lesser known' players that could replace him and if I did, I would apply to become a scout for the club :P But this is what they are there for, it's their job to identify transfer targets and given the departments' success over the past four years, you kind of trust them to do it well.

For the record, I think Sofiane Boufal from Lille looks like a great prospect with many similar qualities to Mahrez. If his mentality and drive is similar too, I could see him performing well for a team like ours. He won't come as cheaply but who cares. Frank Acheampong from Anderlecht and Pione Sisto from Midtjylland look really good too, and best of all, IMO, is that these guys play mainly on the left side which means Albrighton could be moved over to his stronger right.

It would be a joke if the club cashed in on our best player, the type of player we need for the CL next season and as we've seen he can win and change the game within a step over.  The clubs you mentioned are bigger clubs, they are a huge draw and throw silly money at players so they can sell big players as they know they can get others in.  Spurs wasted the Bale money apart from Ericsson.  We will struggle getting a player as good as Mahrez is now (granted he's the best in the league) that is ready to walk into a team and do the job he does and leave any weaknesses, not potential in a couple of seasons but next as we have this amazing (almost there) chance we have to play in the CL. 

Kante was on a lot of teams radar due to his great stats, we didn't 'find' him that would be Caen, we gave him the chance to take it to the next level or should I say he's taken us.

RE Mahrez having a mardy when benched.  Maybe I have got that wrong but i'm sure that Pearson said a few times last season, before the Stringer boycott, when he was dropping him.  That's not a slight on his attitude, it's that he loves to play and hates being on the bench when he knows he could be making a difference.  The Spanish press are worse than ours, Bale got a hard time in the first couple of seasons even though he was playing great, Ronaldo gets booed from his own fans and slated in the press.  My work mate is from Madrid and always comments about how tame our sports papers are compared to back home.

I still stand by Mahrez will never get to show how great a player he is at Barca, it wouldn't me a good career move to showcase his football, no brainer for lifestyle and money but Riyad seems about the football.

It would be a joke if the club cashed in on our best player, the type of player we need for the CL next season and as we've seen he can win and change the game within a step over.  The clubs you mentioned are bigger clubs, they are a huge draw and throw silly money at players so they can sell big players as they know they can get others in.  Spurs wasted the Bale money apart from Ericsson.  We will struggle getting a player as good as Mahrez is now (granted he's the best in the league) that is ready to walk into a team and do the job he does and leave any weaknesses, not potential in a couple of seasons but next as we have this amazing (almost there) chance we have to play in the CL. 

Kante was on a lot of teams radar due to his great stats, we didn't 'find' him that would be Caen, we gave him the chance to take it to the next level or should I say he's taken us.

RE Mahrez having a mardy when benched.  Maybe I have got that wrong but i'm sure that Pearson said a few times last season, before the Stringer boycott, when he was dropping him.  That's not a slight on his attitude, it's that he loves to play and hates being on the bench when he knows he could be making a difference.  The Spanish press are worse than ours, Bale got a hard time in the first couple of seasons even though he was playing great, Ronaldo gets booed from his own fans and slated in the press.  My work mate is from Madrid and always comments about how tame our sports papers are compared to back home.

I still stand by Mahrez will never get to show how great a player he is at Barca, it wouldn't me a good career move to showcase his football, no brainer for lifestyle and money but Riyad seems about the football.

Why would it be a joke? From a business perspective, it would make good sense. Statistically, this is a one-off season and Mahrez' value is probably as high as it will get. You could argue a good season next year with good performances in the CL would add even more to his value, but probably not significantly.

From a playing staff perspective, it would obviously be a big gap to fill, but consider that a very large reason for our success since promotion is down to a hard-working team ethic and team bonding, combined with a high degree of competent management and coaching from the non-playing staff. If Mahrez wishes to leave and the club stop him, it could have serious repercussions on morale. Not only could the club be deprived of his services, like WBA with Berahino, but it could have knock-on effects on the rest of the squad.

Again, I'm not saying we should replace a departing Mahrez with a raw talent that might maybe turn out good several years down the line (a la Gray), but with someone with a similar profile to Mahrez when we got him. Someone who's got clear ability and can back it up with first team performances. It would be foolish to expect anyone to fit in seemlessly and perform at the same level as this season's Mahrez straight away, so you will always have to give the person time. It's unrealistic to expect a De Bruyne-type effect.

You can list pros and cons of a Mahrez move to Barcelona, and I do not necessarily find those points you make invalid. But you're assuming things about him which you really have no clue about and you're once more looking at it from a fan perspective rather than his perspective. He gets to feature in the Champions League every season and will compete for the title every year. He gets to train and play with some of the best football players on this planet and maybe even in football history. He will play in a stadium that's three times larger than ours. The weather will be much nicer and he'll be closer to family in Algeria and his income will likely double or more from the boost his image will get from playing for one of the five biggest clubs in the world!

Wtf are you on about? How did I not appreciate him? I'm just saying what he owes us, given he's signed a contract committing himself to it. Whether we choose to hold him to it if a massive club comes in is a different matter but the man owes what he owes.

I really like mahrez and think he gives us that something special, but I can't see him staying if he gets a big offer from a team like Barca.

With 40-50 million, I think we could improve our team in the long run. We have demarii gray who I think has a similar skill set to mahrez, but lacks the experience.

Archived