Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

IT'S OFFICIAL - Wales Are Better Than England

Do they still operate with a two-tiered ranking system? One that's accumulative and one "yearly ranking", where they have to 'defend' points they have gained during the previous season? Much like the FIFA ranking system then...

Also, I don't see why people are getting upset about Belgium being high up in the rankings. Sure, they've yet to achieve anything eye-catching, but their current group is widely acknowledged to be a top 10 side in the world...?

They have a lot of good players, but 2nd in the world is a joke.  They failed to make Euro 2012 and they got knocked out in the last 8 in Brazil.  There's no way their matches since should in any way put them above the likes of Germany or Spain.

Its better being fed up of never doing anything in international tournaments than being fed up of never qualifying for any.

Im actualy tired of this. Would rather not qualify

We currently fill the biggest purpose built football stadium in our country, do you?

Oops.

Now now ladies lets not get into who has the biggest one

They have a lot of good players, but 2nd in the world is a joke.  They failed to make Euro 2012 and they got knocked out in the last 8 in Brazil.  There's no way their matches since should in any way put them above the likes of Germany or Spain.

Isn't it irrelevant how they did in 2012? Is that really a gauge of how good a team they are now?

They had a decent World Cup considering the massive pressure on a team that had one single player with any Finals tournament experience. Four wins and a defeat to runners-up (and conveniently ranked 1st in the rankings) Argentina? Not bad. And yet, this has been put down as a disappointing campaign for them. That tells you how highly they are regarded and I think many will expect them to be there or thereabouts at Euro 2016.

I will pre-emptively say that it means very little that Wales have taken four points off of them already, as long as they comfortably qualify, which will likely happen.

Spain have deservedly plummeted and are nowhere near as good as they were in their brilliant 2008-2012 run. Germany, I'll grant you, have to be ranked as the best team in Europe.

Didn't someone accuse Finnegan of not being Welsh at all, and he denied that he's 'British'?

I was born in Carmarthen, West Wales and most of my family are still living in and around Aberdare in RCT. I've been in Leicester a pretty long time though and I don't have a particularly Welsh (or any real) accent, so I get a bit of banter occasionally about not being "proper" Welsh (sounding like an extra from Gavin and Stacy.)

As far as being British is concerned, eh, I used to actively refute the notion of being British in my younger days and I still don't particularly feel pretty "British" but I obviously am. I think the recent Scots referendum made me realise how much the idea of full nationalism / separatism actually seems pointless to me.

(You'll never catch me with a union jack singing god save the Queen and rule britannia, mind)

Edited by Finnegan