Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
queensguardfox

Where Will Nigel Pearson Go Next?

They were 18th and not winning any games.

Well, they finished 20th and won even less games.

These are facts, its not opinions.

They became a statistically worse team under him. Its not up for dispute.

Pearson deserves credit and a hell of a lot... we seriously wouldn't be here without him, everything in terms of the scouting and back room management is in place because of him... so can our own fans stop trying to find fault in arguably our best manager. Ranieri saw what was working and smart enough to build on that, and yes he is better tactically but Pearson stands as one of the best still

Pearson deserves credit and a hell of a lot... we seriously wouldn't be here without him, everything in terms of the scouting and back room management is in place because of him... so can our own fans stop trying to find fault in arguably our best manager

Ok, look, for one, he isnt our best manager ever. Theres no arguably, he isnt.

Secondly, the post i made was specifically about Southampton. Nothing more and nothing less.

I am not denying he did an amazing job here. Because he did.

Ok, look, for one, he isnt our best manager ever. Theres no arguably, he isnt.

Secondly, the post i made was specifically about Southampton. Nothing more and nothing less.

I am not denying he did an amazing job here. Because he did.

Not in terms of titles but he is arguably up there because of where he took us from, a position we had never been in... we were lower league. Pearson took us from our lowest point to mid table PL... that achievement should never be talked down, the statistics back up my argument. As far as Southampton goes they did respect what Pearson achieved, he took over a team on a downward slide and halted it just in time

Not in terms of titles but he is arguably up there because of where he took us from, a position we had never been in... we were lower league. Pearson took us from our lowest point to mid table PL... that achievement should never be talked down, the statistics back up my argument.

The statistics dont back up your arguments. Other managers have better records in the top flight and have won more significant honours than he has.

The only person that has made this a Pearson at Leicester argument is yourself. There is no denying what was achieved at Leicester. The original post was about Southampton. Theres nothing more to say.

The statistics dont back up your arguments. Other managers have better records in the top flight and have won more significant honours than he has.

The only person that has made this a Pearson at Leicester argument is yourself. The original post was about Southampton. Theres nothing more to say.

Not title wins I said, Pearson only had one shot in the top flight after taking us from our lowest point, but in terms of games won and records broken he is with the best we had.

If a manager only gets to manage at lower level and then gets one season in top flight it is unfair to downplay where he took us from

Not title wins I said, Pearson only had one shot in the top flight after taking us from our lowest point, but in terms of games won and records broken he is with the best we had

And this has nothing to do with Southampton where he took over from George Burley and did worse than him.

They avoided relegation by winning on the last day, which is looked on as some sort of achievement and glosses over the rest of his tenure where they became worse.

That was the point i made, it was nothing to do with Leicester.

And this has nothing to do with Southampton where he took over from George Burley and did worse than him.

They avoided relegation by winning on the last day, which is looked on as some sort of achievement and glosses over the rest of his tenure where they became worse.

That was the point i made, it was nothing to do with Leicester.

He took over a side that was destined for relegation, doesn't matter how you paint the stats they were rubbish and not his players... he kept them afloat though.

He took over a side that was destined for relegation, doesn't matter how you paint the stats they were rubbish and not his players... he kept them afloat though.

So Ranieri is winning the league wth a team that could only manage 14th and theyre not his players.

Same argument.

Im not taking this any further with you because all that will happen is an argument involving other people as well.

He kept Southampton up, with an overall worse record than the previous manager.

That is it. End of discussion.

So Ranieri is winning the league wth a team that could only manage 14th and theyre not his players.

Same argument.

Im not taking this any further with you because all that will happen is an argument involving other people as well.

He kept Southampton up, with an overall worse record than the previous manager.

That is it. End of discussion.

Well it is clearly a Ranieri team, he has had two windows to build it and not a squad of retards to manage. He kept what was good and built from there, with Southampton sweet f all was good ... that is fact

Well, they finished 20th and won even less games.

These are facts, its not opinions.

They became a statistically worse team under him. Its not up for dispute.

They'd won once in two months before he took over, that victory coming against a Scunthorpe side that came down with us. If you don't think turning that ship around is the sign of a good manager then you're a mistake. He might not have propelled them up the table but he was definitely a plaster on a wound and ensured that they picked up enough points during his tenure so they didn't plummet into the relegation places.

I'd like to add that I was a fan of Pearson but I'm not part of the brigade which seem to align themselves to one extreme or another in terms of praising him or criticising him. He's a good manager and did well at Southampton to keep them up because they were abhorrent as a side for a significant period of time before he got there.

It is, like you've quite rightly pointed out - not up for dispute.

Genuinely not sure why people talk about this as a positive. George Burley resigned with the club mid table.

Pearson took the job and won 3 league games in his whole spell as manager.

So while they "avoided relegation", they did it by the skin of their teeth and got worse as a team under him.

It wasnt that they were down and out and he performed a great escape like he did here, like i said, he won 3 games. His spell in charge was very bad.

Winning 3 league games is selective statistics gathering isn't it?

Pearson took official charge of 13 games (I'm not counting the Plymotuh game) and achieved 3 wins, 7 draws and 3 defeats - 16 points out of 39.

If I take the 13 games before that, they consisted of 2 wins, 6 draws, 5 defeats - 12 points out of 39.

Since the turn of that year, Southampton had won once in 8 games - so that suggests the slide had started prior to Pearson coming in and that he stabilised the situation - plus won the key game in that sequence against us.

If Pearson hadn't kept Soton up, we'd have stayed up, Holloway would still be manager and we probably wouldn't be where we are now. So thanks Nige for getting us relegated, you bastard.

Firstly, it was his first full season in the Prem. Secondly, the way we setup in our promotion campaign was very different to how we set up now. The squad today has also been significantly strengthened by the likes of Huth, Fuchs, Kante and arguably Okazaki.

Thirdly, this is a freak season and it's not certain he couldn't have achieved something similar this season. Afterall, the belief shown this season stems from the survival run last season, and the transfer targets were already identified when he left.

A 14th place would have been an overachievement too according to the bookies, so who's to say really?

I know this post was ages ago but I've only just seen it and I'm not going to let it slide. You're doing Ranieri a terrible injustice.

'this is a freak season' - yeh in terms of if every team played up to potential we might not be 7 points clear at the top. But not as in we could have finished 14th. The implication that we've somehow been lucky and circumstances have just fallen for us is borderline disgraceful.

People's refusal to admit that our team and manager are just fvcking good is really starting to do my head in.

Pearson was not nearly intelligent enough to mastermind what we've achieved this season. Neither are most managers. I am grateful for the things Nigel was good at - building a good squad, getting us promoted and picking up some of the bargains of the century, with the help Steve Walsh.

Tactically however he was pretty clueless and it's really irrelevant that it was his first season in top flight management when most fans could see what he was doing wrong and how to fix it long before he got the message.

Yes he makes/has made some incredible signings but management is more than that - most of the successful players this season played under him last and often he played them out of position or didn't pick them at all despite all on pitch evidence telling him he was making a mistake. One thing is for sure, he didn't get the best out of them for most of the season.

'Secondly, the way we setup in our promotion campaign was very different to how we set up now.'

Is it? We may well have had more possession because we were up against worse sides but essentially it was based on pressing, pace and a positive philosophy. These are all things we've based our success on this season. Pearson, unfortunately, wavered from that last season and his change to negative tactics cost us. Look at us when we get the ball now: 'how can we score? where's the forward pass?' We look forward in possession. We did this in the Championship, but not for most of last season.

Pearson is very good at a lot of things but the assumption that he could have done what Ranieri has done is extremely misguided.

As far as I'm concerned, it's very simple. If you want a man to build you a team and get you out of the Championship, which looks the sort of job he's going to get, he's perfect. There's a question mark what his recruitment would be like without Walsh, but the evidence so far suggests he can be trusted to do that. Under his stewardship we've brought a wonderful group of players together. But he's a limited all round manager and we got an upgrade at just the right time.

Archived