Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

19 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I would say meeting them at that stage of their career was a much better situation. To me, this would have been the ultimate. 

Good point really, because I never got to get that close to Rock Gods like them ever again apart from watching them.

Saw them after that In Cardiff Uni .......... Obviously saw them later in their career with BJ as well

Earl Slick and The Captain were much more memorable though ( it's an age thing or it might have been the drink )

Perhaps I just didn't take it in at the time   :thumbup:

In the Rank on those nights it was lots to drink and to watch up and coming bands as well as the established , Scorpions, Gen X, The Damned, The Blockheads, Judas Priest, Hawkwind, Motorhead, Ian Hunter even The Pistols before they actually made it, The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers and many many more. In fact thinking back it was a great time, wish I had my current phone then I'd have made a bomb on YouTube.

Perhaps this should be on the Music thread though........ ;)

And one day I should write down all the bands I've seen over the years it would be interesting how many I remember

• Like 1

On 23 March 2017 at 09:55, adejo92 said:

Elvis

Which one?

Worthington = 100 points

Presley = 75 points

Hammond = 1 point

On 22 March 2017 at 14:11, Mike Oxlong said:

I peeked at Ronnie Corbett's nob when he was stood at the next urinal to me some years back.

Pretty sure he never played for city though.

When he zipped up his flies did he point downwards and say "And it's goodnight from me and goodnight from him"

On 21 March 2017 at 15:53, TiffToff88 said:

Stood next to Bill Oddie on the platform at Kings Cross/St Pancras Underground station on sunday. He was carrying a big rucksack  with a Heathrow Airport tag on it and he looked absolutely knackered.

I've been watching that Real Marigold Hotel series - He has been in India for weeks with Rusty Lee and Lionel Blair, enough to reduce the strongest of men to a physical wreck! 

• Like 1

Players...Tommy Wright, Mike Whitlow, Nugent, Chris Wood..All pleasant. David Speedie post play off final....still lived in my home town and was in a local hotel toilets where I asked him when he was going to stop falling over...his reply was when opponents stop kicking him. Tried desperately to piss on his shoes during the conversation.

Outside of Football....Morrissey...genuinely nice chap. 

On 23/03/2017 at 09:06, melrose said:

Had a piss next to Lineker at the LAOB club 1985 player of the year do, he was polite but a bit distant, I think the general consensus that he's a bit of a knob have been proved right over the years.

Said hello to Robert Huth a couple of months ago in Heathrow duty free.

Whenever people say Lineker is a knob, they never elaborate.

In my experience, someone can be a "knob" if they are annoying, silly and irritating, or they can be a "knob" for being dismissive, supercilious and arrogant. There's sometimes other reasons, but generally it's one or the other of the above...

I'm just curious to know which one it is with Lineker?

Edited by Kendal Fox

7 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

In my experience, someone can be a "knob" if they are annoying, silly and irritating, or they can be a "knob" for being dismissive, supercilious and arrogant. There's sometimes other reasons, but generally it's one or the other of the above...

Plus I'm not sure you want to be over friendly with someone whilst having a piss.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Plus I'm not sure you want to be over friendly with someone whilst having a piss.

Ha ha! I get you...

But I was meaning more generally with regard to the consensus that say Lineker is a "knob", "dickhead", etc.

Always seems to be the case that people say that but don't elaborate. Just seems vague to me and you could say that about anyone really.

15 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Ha ha! I get you...

But I was meaning more generally with regard to the consensus that say Lineker is a "knob", "dickhead", etc.

Always seems to be the case that people say that but don't elaborate. Just seems vague to me and you could say that about anyone really.

Do you really expect much else mate? I've rarely heard Lineker say anything much that I don't agree with. He's very open with his love for City. I like him as a sports presenter and he's made a huge success if his career. Terms like 'knob', 'dickhead' etc are chucked about by kids playing on social media, because they can. I doubt very few have met the people they are so readily slagging off. The 'consensus' on FT may be that Lineker is a knob? I doubt that reflects the view of the broader society.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Do you really expect much else mate? I've rarely heard Lineker say anything much that I don't agree with. He's very open with his love for City. I like him as a sports presenter and he's made a huge success if his career. Terms like 'knob', 'dickhead' etc are chucked about by kids playing on social media, because they can. I doubt very few have met the people they are so readily slagging off. The 'consensus' on FT may be that Lineker is a knob? I doubt that reflects the view of the broader society.

That's certainly my hunch too. Though I'm definitely open to the possibility if someone qualifies it after an encounter with him. Problem is that few do.

1 hour ago, Kendal Fox said:

The latter.

Also met Mark Phillips at Burghley Horse Trials.

My Father and myself were there for business day out via company supplier invitation and offered him a seat after the event just finished and talked a bit.

His feelings on Diana/Prince Charles were interesting to say the least..

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Also met Mark Phillips at Burghley Horse Trials.

My Father and myself were there for business day out via company supplier invitation and offered him a seat after the event just finished and talked a bit.

His feelings on Diana/Prince Charles were interesting to say the least..

Oh Wymsey... you had been doing so well for quite some time now! haha

Mark Philips can talk after how he treated Princess Anne.

Peter Stringfellow at his club ( not football related ) after a night at SPOTY awards along with a load of motor racing types Hill Herbert Blundell Stig (original).

Good night from what I can recall.

On 22/03/2017 at 08:18, cheshamfox17 said:

I've met a couple of politicians too, Hilary Clinton once , she was obviously stupidly busy but stopped for a quick chat, I was wearing a leicester hat when I met her but unfortunately she did not ask about it.

I stood on the same escalator as David Cameron once, even from a distance he seemed smarmy and as a kid we went on a trip to the houses of parliament with school and David Blunkett was there, he seemed a little irked that all of us 7 year olds were more interested in his guide dog

Pobablybecause he knew his guide dog had more to offer.

On 03/24/2017 at 17:00, Nickfosse said:

I knew Demarai Gray when he was at Primary school. Went in every fortnight during his 7 years there to do assemblies. 

On one occasion they asked me to highlight the achievement of their sports team in winning a Birmingham area sports competition. It was a small school not renowned for sporting achievement so I asked the teacher, how did you manage that?She replied, we just put Demarai in the middle and he won every contest on his own virtually. 

Thought nothing of it till he started playing for Blues. He was a nice enough lad.

met Wes, Drinky, Dyer and Kasper at M42 services when they were waiting for team bus to Yeovil, all pleasant enough.

The joy was going to my car and bumping into Craig Shakespeare. Told him I'd been supporting for 45 years and was a ST holder. Couldn't have been better company. Talked openly about how things were going and his love of the industry as he called it. Genuinely top bloke who was a delight to talk to. Can completely understand why so many who have worked with him and for him speak so highly of him. 

Ah fantastic stories. Loved the Demmy one. The more I read about Shakespeare the more I hope he becomes irreplaceable come the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

In my eyes his use of his celebrity to voice his obvious left wing views on all manner of current affairs certainly puts him in the Knobhead category. I also think that rings a bell with the broader society.

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

In my eyes his use of his celebrity to voice his obvious left wing views on all manner of current affairs certainly puts him in the Knobhead category. I also think that rings a bell with the broader society.

Everyone can have an opinion. It's a free country. 

Anybody that puts their own money forward to save our football club ain't a knobhead.

• Like 1

Hardly famous, but I met Adam Smith on a night out in Leicester a few months after the infamous Thai incident, didn't bring up the incident obviously but he surprisingly seemed like a top guy.

Got chatting to someone in a bar who has a pretty senior job at the club, he said that out of the current players he thinks Schmeichel is a bit of a dickhead who has a habit of being moody with staff, Drinkwater is a 'typical former Manchester United youth player' and Fuchs is the nicest player out of the current squad.

Knew someone at Uni who was in the academy at Crewe with Nick Powell, said he was sound at first but as soon as he moved to Manchester United he barely kept contact with any of them, started flashing his cash around and basically became a complete ****, which is very believable when you see the nosedive his promising career has taken.

20 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Knew someone at Uni who was in the academy at Crewe with Nick Powell, said he was sound at first but as soon as he moved to Manchester United he barely kept contact with any of them, started flashing his cash around and basically became a complete ****, which is very believable when you see the nosedive his promising career has taken.

One of my flatmates went to Uni with one of Powell's best mates. I met Powell, he even came to pub once when we had a massive meet up.

Edited by Fox92

3 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Yes, it's almost as bad as trolls on sites like this, polluting a thread with utter guff.

4 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Interesting that you think that celebrities voicing left wing views on current affairs put them in the knobhead category. 

If I had to compose a list of celebrity knobheads, Katie Hopkins, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Littlejohn would come a long way before Gary Lineker

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Everyone can have an opinion. It's a free country. 

Anybody that puts their own money forward to save our football club ain't a knobhead.

The daughter of his ex (bux) was briefly at my daughter's school. I saw him wandering around a bit and never had the guts to chat to him despite seeing him on the terraces growing up. Parents with kids in his class said he was alright if a bit aloof, no issue with that, not like every parent has to be your best mate.

We also have the Terrys, the redknapps, Scott parker, hasslebank and crouch's missus.  The school run is very entertaining...

The best dad was Freddie flintoff. Genuinely nice bloke and very easy to chat with.

4 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Interesting that you think that celebrities voicing left wing views on current affairs put them in the knobhead category. 

If I had to compose a list of celebrity knobheads, Katie Hopkins, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Littlejohn would come a long way before Gary Lineker

Not met Bunyip before? It's about as much fun as an arrow through the head.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1