Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

All that money has not made Bill Adderley any happier though.

Probably not 100%, no, but he had mentioned in the past that despite his wealth he enjoys the 'normal' things in life such as the occasional takeaway from a local chip shop able and travelling.

He's a very down-to-earth person etc.

After what's happened regarding family health matters that had been affecting them for a few years, can say he appreciates what matters most - the people close to him are well.

Don't want to personally discuss further on him as it's showing disrespect talking behind his back (despite it being positive) and know people in the club who know I use this site etc.

Met Gordon Banks a few times; a true gentleman who always has stories to tell. He, apparently, had been part of some post-games panel that analyses certain match incidents and discusses it with fellow panel members, although not sure if he's still doing it to any degree now.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Met a lot of famous people all through a previous job about 4/5 years ago! Mostly singers/actors and footballers. Most of the time it seems the way people come across on the tele is completely different to how they are in person. 

Jack Hobbs who used to play for us was a miserable b*stard the time I met him (though it could've been an off day) 

same goes for Alan Pardew. 

Met all of the Leicester squad when we were back in the championship.

David James was as arrogant as they come. A total b*ll*nd in fact.

Allardyce stood on his phone infront of me talking about giving a lower league player a trial at one time lol

Edited by lee7

So - I was driving back from Birmingham to Cambridge when I lived there a good twenty years ago now and desperate for a pee.. I stopped at the service station/garage just by Rothwell on the A14. 

Walked into the garage, asked where the loo was and pushed the door open. Had failed to realise that it wasn't a full urinal thing but just a cubicle.

The big chap who was in there having a wee turned around and said in his slightly gruff, Mancunian voice - "Don't think there's enough space in here for the both of us, me lad."

That man was Bernard Manning. I looked outside onto the forecourt and saw his car (Bentley or Rolls Royce) with BJM1 as the number plate. 

Kind of wish now that I'd punched the racist ****. But, instead I went and had a chat with the woman working behind the counter and told her that Bernard Manning was using their bog. "Oh, that's nothing sir. We get them all in here. Just last week, we had Darren Day", she said..

• Like 2

Met Frank Bruno at Ragdale Hall.  I went to pick my Mum up, who had been there with a friend & Frank was stood there in reception.  He had a fight coming up (can't remember which) so just went over to wish him well.  Was a bit worried, as he was built like a brick shitehouse.  He was really friendly & humble.  I shook his hand & he wandered off.  He came back a minute later with a postcard with his photo on it, that he signed.  I hadn't even asked for his signature.  Still got it somewhere along with the Wembley ticket, when he beat that cry baby for the world title.

Used to go in Lewis's cafe for a coffee when I was in town with my mates as a teenager.  Walking past the sports department & Gary Mason (RIP) was there promoting some crappy sportswear.  I think it was called Troop.  There was absolutely nobody paying any attention to him.  We went over to speak to him & he was great.  We spoke to him for ages.  He was genuinely a decent bloke & was perfectly happy talking to us about how we were getting on at school, what we wanted to do when left school. He fought some decent fighters & it's sad that he died so young.

Used to do catering at festivals, grand prix's, concerts & stuff.  Saw loads of well known people just wandering about, but I did serve some cups of tea to the Stone Temple Pilots at Reading. 

It was about 4am at Glastonbury in the very early 90's.  It's like Dawn of the Dead at that time of the morning.  I was about falling asleep when Margi Clarke appears at the counter with a few other Scousers.  They only wanted a cup of tea, we had a bit of a chat & they wandered off.  Half hour later they came walking back & I asked Margi if she wanted another cup of tea.  Got chatting again & it turns out the other guys she was with were Half Man Half Biscuit.  I never realised & I like HMHB.  A bit worse for wear but perfectly friendly.

Was at Richmond Park, catering for some horse jumping event.  Some guy came walking up to the hatch with a fooking horse.  I knew straight away it was Desert Orchid.  I was selling jacket potatoes & he said that the horse loved jacket potato skins.  Loads of people were stood around taking photos, as I fed Desert Orchid potato skins through the hatch.  Wouldn't have minded a photo of it myself.  Beautiful horse, but a lot smaller than I would have thought.  Seemed odd being star struck by a horse.

• Like 1

My mate came to the bar at the cricket ground when the West Indies were at Essex for a warm-up match this year, play had just started at 11AM and Joel Garner had asked for a cup of tea with a shot of rum in it. We decided that we'd give him a double to start the day off well - I went in to the committee room later pretending to clean something up and saw his hands, they are enormous, he is an absolute giant.

Met Steve Coogan at Tarn Hows (Lake District) on Christmas day last year.  He was with his mum and Dad and they stopped to make a fuss of our dogs.  Resisted the temptation to say A-ha!

Met Rik Mayall at Mosquito Coast and one of my personal heroes Tim Wannacott at Newark Antique fair.

Saw Lee Ryan from Blue at Heathrow, Jools Holland strolling down London Road and Tricky Dicky (Eastenders) in a Brighton nightclub.

My best mates ex's mate is best mates with Philipa Forrester.

...I'm clutching at straws now.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:20, pSinatra said:

Met Frank Bruno at Ragdale Hall.  I went to pick my Mum up, who had been there with a friend & Frank was stood there in reception.  He had a fight coming up (can't remember which) so just went over to wish him well.  Was a bit worried, as he was built like a brick shitehouse.  He was really friendly & humble.  I shook his hand & he wandered off.  He came back a minute later with a postcard with his photo on it, that he signed.  I hadn't even asked for his signature.  Still got it somewhere along with the Wembley ticket, when he beat that cry baby for the world title.

Used to go in Lewis's cafe for a coffee when I was in town with my mates as a teenager.  Walking past the sports department & Gary Mason (RIP) was there promoting some crappy sportswear.  I think it was called Troop.  There was absolutely nobody paying any attention to him.  We went over to speak to him & he was great.  We spoke to him for ages.  He was genuinely a decent bloke & was perfectly happy talking to us about how we were getting on at school, what we wanted to do when left school. He fought some decent fighters & it's sad that he died so young.

Used to do catering at festivals, grand prix's, concerts & stuff.  Saw loads of well known people just wandering about, but I did serve some cups of tea to the Stone Temple Pilots at Reading. 

It was about 4am at Glastonbury in the very early 90's.  It's like Dawn of the Dead at that time of the morning.  I was about falling asleep when Margi Clarke appears at the counter with a few other Scousers.  They only wanted a cup of tea, we had a bit of a chat & they wandered off.  Half hour later they came walking back & I asked Margi if she wanted another cup of tea.  Got chatting again & it turns out the other guys she was with were Half Man Half Biscuit.  I never realised & I like HMHB.  A bit worse for wear but perfectly friendly.

Was at Richmond Park, catering for some horse jumping event.  Some guy came walking up to the hatch with a fooking horse.  I knew straight away it was Desert Orchid.  I was selling jacket potatoes & he said that the horse loved jacket potato skins.  Loads of people were stood around taking photos, as I fed Desert Orchid potato skins through the hatch.  Wouldn't have minded a photo of it myself.  Beautiful horse, but a lot smaller than I would have thought.  Seemed odd being star struck by a horse.

Ha quality

Probably only you me and about three other people on the forum who have a clue who the Stone Temple Pilots are, but still quality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gravy Fox said:

I met Steve Walsh once. Firmest handshake in human history. My dad once met Andy Impey at the urinals at a service station.

It was Impey who started the conversation by saying "Do you recognise me?" 

Mike Whitlow has a knuckle crushing handshake FWIW.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gravy Fox said:

I met Steve Walsh once. Firmest handshake in human history. My dad once met Andy Impey at the urinals at a service station.

It was Impey who started the conversation by saying "Do you recognise me?" 

I met Andy Impey at Gatwick when he was heading to the West Indies for a holiday and I was taking the future Mrs Brisfox to the airport for a flight back to San Diego. Seemed nice enough

When I lived in West Didsbury, I'd see John Thomson (Fast Show, Cold Feet etc) wandering towards the pub from time to time, he occasionally said hi. There was a dead ringer for Paul Heaton knocking about too. Once met Ray Winstone in the local there too, had a photo with him but it got deleted......

Edit - My brother, who lives in New York, met and had his photo taken with Muhammed Ali at a charity event in the US. That should be top really I suppose.

Spent an evening in the company of Ozzy Osborne and Tony Iommi in Sheraton's Hotel bar in Aberdeen in 1977 I think. I was 9 and my brother was 13. My dad was close friends with a couple of the guys in Showaddywaddy and took us all to see them in the bar after the show and Ozzy and Tony were sitting in a group with them (they were supposed to be playing a venue in Aberdeen the next night but it was mysteriously cancelled at the last moment).

My vague recollections are that Iommi was a lovely bloke and took time out to speak to me and my brother for a little while. Ozzy, looking back, was unsurprisingly wasted. He sat slumped with his eyes shut most of the time and had a shirt open to the waist with the biggest gold cross around his neck I have seen to this day. About 8 inches long and quite thick. Must have been worth a fortune. He barely mumbled a dozen words in the couple of hours we were there. Bless.

Had a couple of drinks with Tim Burgess of the Charlatans after a show in Aberdeen in the 90's also. Lovely bloke. He was pretty wasted too.

Met Freddie Starr in a pub in Yeovil about 8 years back. He was a bit of a tit. Does he count?

Went to Eoin Jess' (Aberdeen, Cov, Forest, Scotland) stag weekend in Newcastle (and wedding) and knew him pretty well. Billy Dodds (Rangers, Aberdeen, Scotland was also there. Both really nice blokes.

Met quite a few of the Aberdeen players in that era through knowing Eoin too.

Rocky Campbell, former heavyweight boxer from Leicester came to see us in Scotland in the 90's as he knew my dad.

Met both John Hartson and John Conteh at Aberdeen airport (at different times) but only to say hello.

Gary Christian lead singer of the Christians  in the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen. He was a total tin tanker.

Edited by Max Wall

Once had a beer with Mark Yates in the sports bar in Picadilly, he was a nice lad (think he was at Watford at the time) - said Rob Kelly never like him, and the club was badly run from top to bottom. We were relegated 3 months later.

Oh and I also saw Junior Lewis on Shoreditch High street 3 months ago, he looked homeless, genuinely but had his arm round a women much younger than him. Could have been some hipster vibes going on. I said Junior and he did look at me, but just kept walking on. Sad times.

• Haha 1

Got a couple for this... 

City Players 

- Hosted Vardy's book signing at work so spent a fair bit of time with him prior to that. Was worried it might ruin my thoughts on him but he was a top bloke. 

- Met Wilf at last year's player awards, nice guy, I got a photo with him which was made slightly awkward by the fact that Musa was there and I didn't ask him... 

- Met Albrighton and Ranieri at the training ground. Albrighton was a very genuine, nice guy as expected, Ranieri was happy for a photo but appeared very stressed (this was just before he got axed.) 

- Served Matt Elliott at the co-op. 

Others 

- Stepped off a train at Manchester Piccadilly, chucking it down with rain and saw Mani from the Stone Roses. Paid £6 for a pint but was worth it for a quick chat and a picture, legend and had a lot of time for us. 

- Met Bez at Glastonbury, congratulated him on his political efforts against fracking, unfortunately he 'don't do photos at Glastonbury' he was unsurprisingly off his head and asking about the whereabouts of his 'Mrs.' 

- Mike Skinner from The Streets at a club in Newcastle. 

- Met the Chuckle Brothers after a show in the 90s. Hoping that they don't get done soon. 

Edited by btswift94

I once met Tom Meighan (Kasabian) in the Rowley Suite when I was bought tickets in there for my birthday. Bought us both a shot and made the joke of "shouldn't you be buying", he took it well! seems like Really top bloke who takes time out for a picture and to talk with kids etc...