Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

I used to go family camping with Levi Porter back in the day. He was the first kid I knew to own a Gameboy SP. Literally made my day when he let me play on it (I was young at the time.) Seemed nice enough but you could tell he was a bit of a chav even back then.

I know Alan Young as I went to Uni where he lives so we would get the same train for Leicester games. He has a few interesting stories to tell.
I also know Liam Moore's grandparents quite well. They are lovely people. 

My family work on Leicester Market and knew the Lineker's (Gary's parents quite well). He was almost never down the market working and grafting like his parents. It was rather humorous/embarrassing seeing him back on the market on the stall that bare his name when no longer owned by anyone related to the Lineker's!

We met Top and Vichai at Derby train station after an away game in the championship once. I think their English has improved quite a lot since then but it was nice of them to mingle before shooting off into first class. It was probably the last time they got the train after that ordeal with myself :') 
I met Lloyd Dyer in the Bull ring once and had a quick chat. He was very quiet as expected but obliged with the awkward selfie 

I also met Ritchie De laet with his missus after a film in Showcase Cinema Deluxe. I didn't want to interrupt their date so that was quite brief but he seemed nice enough.

Manu Tuilagi gets on well with my mum and has always been good to talk too. He is a real top lad with a great sense of humour (and a beautiful missus). Gutted he keeps getting injured. 
I went to the same school as both Harry and Charlie Thacker who play for the Tigers. Their older bro was always the better player but had dodgy knees in his mid teens which ****ed that up. Their dad Troy used to teach Rugby at our school too (he used to play for Tigers as well). He picked me up and dropped me in a puddle once for having my hands in my pockets during a game! Top bloke though!

I used to have Snooker lessons with a chap called Brian who trained Willy Thorne so got to meet him a few times when he owned the snooker hall in Leicester. Mark Selby trained in there too but I don't remember seeing him. I also know Selby's older brother (from the side of the family Mark actively avoids).

The best two for last 
My uncle once saw Muzzy Izzet in a bar on the night before the game and kicked him out to get a good night's sleep before match day. It turned out the poor man was injured and could not play anyway. I think my uncle ruined his night! (With the best of drunken intentions of course)

One of my colleagues used to house share with the ex-girlfriend of James Pearson. This was his girlfriend until a certain lads night out in the far east that is....
Her stories about Nigel as a family man were very interesting. 
I really wanted to ask about how many pairs of white trainers he owned but I never had the confidence :') 

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JayPittardBlueatheart said:

I used to go family camping with Levi Porter back in the day. He was the first kid I knew to own a Gameboy SP. Literally made my day when he let me play on it (I was young at the time.) Seemed nice enough but you could tell he was a bit of a chav even back then.

I know Alan Young as I went to Uni where he lives so we would get the same train for Leicester games. He has a few interesting stories to tell.

My family work on Leicester Market and knew the Lineker's (Gary's parents quite well). He was almost never down the market working and grafting like his parents. It was rather humorous/embarrassing seeing him back on the market on the stall that bare his name when no longer owned by anyone related to the Lineker's!

We met Top and Vichai at Derby train station after an away game in the championship once. I think their English has improved quite a lot since then but it was nice of them to mingle before shooting off into first class. It was probably the last time they got the train after that ordeal with myself :') 
I met Lloyd Dyer in the Bull ring once and had a quick chat. He was very quiet as expected but obliged with the awkward selfie 

I also met Ritchie De laet with his missus after a film in Showcase Cinema Deluxe. I didn't want to interrupt their date so that was quite brief but he seemed nice enough.

Manu Tuilagi gets on well with my mum and has always been good to talk too. He is a real top lad with a great sense of humour (and a beautiful missus). Gutted he keeps getting injured. 
I went to the same school as both Harry and Charlie Thacker who play for the Tigers. Their older bro was always the better player but had dodgy knees in his mid teens which ****ed that up. Their dad Troy used to teach Rugby at our school too (he used to play for Tigers as well). He picked me up and dropped me in a puddle once for having my hands in my pockets during a game! Top bloke though!

I used to have Snooker lessons with a chap called Brian who trained Willy Thorne so got to meet him a few times when he owned the snooker hall in Leicester. Mark Selby trained in there too but I don't remember seeing him. I also know Selby's older brother (from the side of the family Mark actively avoids).

The best two for last 
My uncle once saw Muzzy Izzet in a bar on the night before the game and kicked him out to get a good night's sleep before match day. It turned out the poor man was injured and could not play anyway. I think my uncle ruined his night! (With the best of drunken intentions of course)

One of my colleagues used to house share with the ex-girlfriend of James Pearson. This was his girlfriend until a certain lads night out in the far east that is....
I really wanted to ask about how many pairs of white trainers he owned but I never had the confidence :') 

You can't hint at Nigel stories and then not tell them! :P

• Like 2

All this talk of Lineker.

A few years ago i was at Thorpe Park, was in a monster queue for a ride and i turn round and standing behind me is Lineker and 2 young lads.

To say he looked miserable as sin was an understatement. I engaged him by saying i was a city fan etc and he nodded in an uncomfortable way. Left it at that.

Also met Tom from Kasabian down the city, I was down near the entrance to A Block and he was outside with a mate having a fag, feeling a little star struck i kept staring at him to the point where i thought he was going to bang me out. After a few seconds of this stare down i went over and told him i loved his bands music to which he got all excited saying 'yeh its ****ing boss mate init', shook my hand etc.

Sat next to Sarah Cox for a 2 hour theatre show in london, as it was dark i was tempted to have a quick squeeze but thought better of it, she smiled said hello etc.

Oh and many years ago me and my school mates would go down filbo really early on a match day to get autographs, one day David Lowe gets out of his car in some posh match day suit, it was pointed out to him that he was 'flying low' to which he replied 'yeh i know the zip is broken and you lot are not the first to point it out today'.

Edited by m4DD0gg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

All this talk of Lineker.

A few years ago i was at Thorpe Park, was in a monster queue for a ride and i turn round and standing behind me is Lineker and 2 young lads.

To say he looked miserable as sin was an understatement. I engaged him by saying i was a city fan etc and he nodded in an uncomfortable way. Left it at that.

Tend to hear that a lot about Lineker. Shame

Was lucky enough to call round Tom from Kasabian's house the year of the Championship title as my sister got to interview him for a college course. Absolutely sound and happy to chat about City for ages.

On the Lineker point, mum worked in hospitality at Filbert Street and said Lineker was an arse, refused many photos and autographs with kids and was aloof with the bar staff.

Edited by elangLCFC

On 27/03/2017 at 12:44, Kendal Fox said:

Whenever people say Lineker is a knob, they never elaborate.

In my experience, someone can be a "knob" if they are annoying, silly and irritating, or they can be a "knob" for being dismissive, supercilious and arrogant. There's sometimes other reasons, but generally it's one or the other of the above...

I'm just curious to know which one it is with Lineker?

With me and I think most of the people that have met him I got the impression that he would rather be anywhere else in the world than have to make pleasantries with a fan.

The old saying  "Never meet your heroes"  is spot on in his case!

Edited by melrose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, melrose said:

The old saying  "Never meet your heroes"  is spot on in his case!

I have heard this many times, but firmly believe it not to be true. With one exception maybe.

Have met several of my heroes, some have become very good friends and I think you can give someone a bad name, but in many cases it's a question of awkward timing rather than them being a bad person. 

As as an example a mates company payed a huge fee to watch England train, to include a few autographs etc. I got a shirt signed by David Beckham, but he refused to sign the second shirt I handed him. I rejoined the queue and he tipped his minder the wink and he ensured I never got the second shirt signed. 

Could be seen as not a nice man, but when you see how many people get stuff signed to sell on, you can understand them not wanting to be everybodies cash cow.

So my experience of Beckham wasn't great, but can fully understand what he did and why. 

My son sat opposite Coleen Rooney and kids in first class on West Coast line back from charity shield game last

year .He shouldn't have been in first class and thought she was some lass who went down the pub in Burbage.Had a nice chat and amazingly she had no obvious security staff

Met Peter Shelton when I was a kid at a football tournament in Bournemouth - he was there for all of 5 minutes to present a trophy and refused to speak with anyone apart from the manager of the hotel the award was at and didn't sign any autographs for at least 25 kids waiting patiently for him...

Met Muzzy at his book signing seemed alright but then again I was buying his book.

Met Nuge night before Sunderland away in Newcastle in 2015 - he was having a few beers in Jesmond.

Met Ian Wright and Kevin Campbell in a newsagents in Enfield back in there Arsenal days. Both very friendly blokes who were happy to chat anything football related.

Met a few Ipswich players over the years, Titus Bramble was horrid and thought he was Pele but Fabian Wilnis was a legend.

21 hours ago, JayPittardBlueatheart said:

The best two for last 

Mark selby gets along very well with his brother

Got talking to Paul Dickov at the O2 arena a few weeks ago at the boxing. 

He was a nice bloke and he seemed happy that someone recongnised him. Told him that he was class in the 02/03 season up top with Brian Deane. 

Asked him his thoughts on the Ranieri sacking and he said he agreed with it and the owners were thinking of what's best for the club. 

14 hours ago, murphy said:

Must be exhausting being a celeb and having you load of herberts saunter over like you're their best mate and then get branded a knob if your less than ecstatic to meet every time.

I'm glad I'm just a pleb.

This is kind of why I tend to leave them alone if I see them in public, I'd feel awkward too if some stranger swanned up to me wanting a chat and an autograph/picture.

16 hours ago, Walkerfox said:

Met a few players over the years but nicest was definitely Mahrez. I took my brother who has downs syndrome to meet a few players after we'd been in hospitality for his 18th birthday and a lot simply smiled and had a picture which is fine and what I expected. Mahrez however came straight to him, asked him how he was, chatted to him about the game, gave him a big hug when he found out it was his birthday. Probably the happiest i've seen my brother and I'll always love Riyadh for it. 

Met Juan Mata at some kind of trading card event at a Tesco in Salford. Was very quiet but also polite and was happy to have a picture. 

Outside of football, Calvin Harris is one of the nicest people i've ever met. Was a few years ago so he wasn't as huge as he is now but was obviously aware of how starstruck I was and tried to talk to me. He was already late on stage too but stopped for a picture and a chat. I mostly just laughed and stared at him though. Also met the rapper Example who was a tw*t. 

I like that story about Mahrez. Not only is he a world class footballer, he seems to be modest, charming and an all round decent human being. Great that he made your brother's day

• Like 1

Peter Shilton outside of the last ever game at Filbo, with the legends and that.

Every player up until that point had made a reasonable effort with the fans, pictures and autographs. Shilton, however, did not.

He got out of his car and just said 'Move...move...get out of my way.' 

Jeff Schlupp on his way home to his mum's lol(2015) and Andy Johnson playing for Kings Lynn (2009) at Newport Pagnell Services for City players.

Otherwise, I served Rob Lee, Nicky Butt, Katie Price and James May in a McDonalds drive-Thru in my yoof. I've spoken with Neil Shipperley and Gary McAllister on my train to work in the morning in the past 6 months. Also had Ashes banter with Leyton Hewitt back in 2005 at Wimbledon, a genuinely top bloke and great banter. Saw Des Lynam that day too, miserable sod. Wished Rafa Nadal and Feliciano Lopez good luck for a doubles match in GCSE standard Spanish, I think they appreciated the effort ;).

Edited by Lovejoy

On 3/27/2017 at 23:00, JayPittardBlueatheart said:

The best two for last 

Not sure why, but reading your post made this sketch pop into my head

• Like 1

18 hours ago, murphy said:

Must be exhausting being a celeb and having you load of herberts saunter over like you're their best mate and then get branded a knob if your less than ecstatic to meet every time.

I'm glad I'm just a pleb.

No one want's them to be ecstatic, just for them to briefly chat and not look like they have stepped in something,

It's not a lot to ask!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 18:00, JayPittardBlueatheart said:

The best two for last 

He threw a basketball at my head for talking when he was talking in the gymn!