Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ZeljkoKalac1

Do we need another striker?

Guest CityFan 06

I wouldn't be too disheartened if a striker does not sign in this window. We've got the goals of Vardy and more to come you'd have thought, Okazaki is coming good and Ulloa will still score a few over the season. But, at the same time this isn't to say I don't want another striker though. For me, I feel we need someone who has scored goals in the Premier League before, and also has Champions League experience ideally.

This is why I think Remy would a good addition, he's proven to score goals in the BPL before, and his record of scoring at the top level is impressive at the various clubs he's been at. I think if we can sign Remy or someone of his calibre, it might just be enough to secure us a top 4 spot or even the title. I know Musa's been mentioned a lot, and given he's played in the CL before he's the type of player I'd like to see us bring in, his style of play would suit us very well.

If we signed Remy and Musa I'd be delighted.

We can't nae hi in our squad if he is on loan.

Once squads have been registered we can't add any player.

He can still be registered in the 25 man squad even if he is out on loan but as its been pointed out it's worthwhile unless he has a recall clause

Also We could add a player even after the squad has been registered as long as the player is a free transfer and we have spaces left in the 25 man squad

So, we've played 23 games so far using vardy, ulloa, okazaki and kramaric. In those 23 games kramaric has played about 30 minutes, and this is the player we're on about replacing. We only have 15 games left and being out the cups means no real congestion of fixtures.

The obvious point is what happens if we get an injury? We have a recall option on kramaric, and schlupp is back soon and both he and mahrez can operate in forward positions.

Personally I'd love to see a exciting forward come in but it has to be the right one, improve on what we have and fit in to the ethos of the squad.so what I'm getting at is it wouldn't be a disaster if nobody came in.

Yes

In some ways that's a weakness as well as a strength and as pressing a reason why we need new goalscoring threats. Without a fit Vardy we're much easier to contain. Any improvement in our team these last few weeks seems to have been in a defensive sense.

Gray may offer some improvement in time but we didn't show much confidence in him at Villa and threw away two vital points on the day due to having the wrong penalty taker....a really unnecessary setback on a day when we seemed to do everything wrong.

It would be an annoyance if we don't get one but it might not actually make much difference in terms of gathering points. Everyone is revved up though for a new signing and if we don't get anyone there'll be hysteria.

It'll make a vast difference if Vardy gets hurt and, with his approach, that can always happen.

Even having him half-fit or unavailable cost us so much momentum and the absence of Schlupp as well has added to the problem. Basically we're too easily contained if our number nine is out or subdued for whatever reason yet Ranieri seems pre-occupied with defence and midfield.

We've been nothing like as threatening in attack for a couple of months now. Yes, the Stoke game flattered, but perhaps even that was due to Stoke having their eyes on their Cup semi-final. Too much of our focus now is on not conceding goals rather than the different ways we might find to score them.

Yes, we do need at least one more striker. The only reason I say this is - despite being one of the highest scoring teams in the league this season - we have heavily relied on one of our strikers to get most of those goals, with Shinji and Leo getting the old goal here and there to compliment Jamie.

Now isn't the time to be sentimental, nor is it the time to waste a golden opportunity. If we are truly going for the title (or at least the CL) we need to add depth in the forward line. Remy and one other, would be ideal in my view. Pelle was a name I was also happy to see linked to us, less sure about Gayle but if Claudio and Mr Walsh thinks he may add something? 

It's better to risk it for the sake of always saying, 'What If?' Caution never got anyone anywhere.

I suppose we have to question how we've gone about this particular transfer - we've made clear we're after a striker ('unusually clear' according to one of the recent articles about our search) and, even though we didn't need him, let one of only four strikers (most sides have 4+ options) go. Naturally it's going to force prices up when sides know you're desperate, so the logical thing would be to hang on to Kramaric until something is finalised.

And perhaps it was finalised, though the signs don't suggest this. So if we really are panicking, I can think back to two recent 'panic' signings - Kramaric in January and Dyer in the summer - and neither worked out especially well. The difference is that Dyer wasn't an expensive error and, if either Dyer or Kramaric had to be thrown into the side for a prolonged spell, my money would be on Dyer to make the step up, simply because - as bad as he's been for us - he has done it before. Looking at the options, then, a loan for someone like Remy would perhaps make more sense than a rushed 11, 15 or 22m move for a player who a guy we might not want, and may well pick up at a lower price in the summer.

But we definitely need another option. On plenty of occasions this season we've needed a pacey forward on the bench and ended up having to lump for Ulloa. If you factor the higher likelihood of injuries in the second half of a season, and the business we do over the next 24 or so hours may well dictate whether we get the 8-9/15 wins we need for Champions League football or not.

I would like to see a striker in. Preferrably Musa from what I have seen, but would be only mildly disappointed if we did not sign anyone further.

We have Jamie, Leo and Shinji, and while Leo is having a poor season, we know he can do a job. In addition we have Dodoo and Lawrence back from loan, Mahrez scoring from midfield as well as Gray as a new attacking signing.

If no-one picks up a serious injury/suspension any new striker may well be just an expensive benchwarmer.

Yes, we do need at least one more striker. The only reason I say this is - despite being one of the highest scoring teams in the league this season - we have heavily relied on one of our strikers to get most of those goals, with Shinji and Leo getting the old goal here and there to compliment Jamie.

Now isn't the time to be sentimental, nor is it the time to waste a golden opportunity. If we are truly going for the title (or at least the CL) we need to add depth in the forward line. Remy and one other, would be ideal in my view. Pelle was a name I was also happy to see linked to us, less sure about Gayle but if Claudio and Mr Walsh thinks he may add something?

It's better to risk it for the sake of always saying, 'What If?' Caution never got anyone anywhere.

Totally agree Robin

Look at Spurs- they have one striker in Kane

Arsenal - one striker in Giroud

Man U- Rooney or Martial

Man C- Aguero or Bony

Signing a 4th striker isn't as critical as people think. The main difference is we play 2 up front but I still think Mahrez is decent in the no10 role and even Kingy. If worst comes to worst Dodoo could do a job. The obsession with a striker is daft seen as we are 3 points clear and been fine with 3 strikers all year. Like the OP said I'd rather sign the right player in the summer than the wrong player is January.

If we don't manage to sign a striker & in the event of injury to one of our established front runners, how about putting young Dodoo on the bench?

I think he may be out on loan but most loan deals usually include a recall clause.

He played well & scored in the cup games he played in.

Look at Spurs- they have one striker in Kane

Arsenal - one striker in Giroud

Man U- Rooney or Martial

Man C- Aguero or Bony

Signing a 4th striker isn't as critical as people think. The main difference is we play 2 up front but I still think Mahrez is decent in the no10 role and even Kingy. If worst comes to worst Dodoo could do a job. The obsession with a striker is daft seen as we are 3 points clear and been fine with 3 strikers all year. Like the OP said I'd rather sign the right player in the summer than the wrong player is January.

We've got three points clear because Vardy's continued playing while he should probably have been in hospital what with his broken bones and damaged groin, not to mention any other aches and pains that would probably have seen Remy sidelined for a lifetime.

Of our other two "strikers" Shinji's been more a midfield player until recently and Ulloa like a much-loved hunter put out to grass and just given an occasional run round the meadow. We've been lucky beyond measure or damned fortunate to have near miracle workers in our medical team.

Spurs have goals all over the place and noteably from midfield where we have nothing like the same strikepower.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/top-scorers.

Look too at the range of Manchester City scorers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/top-scorers

Or Arsenal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/top-scorers

As for Manchester United their manager's been flailing on the rocks because of United's lack of attacking threat.

How much convincing do you need? We may be top of the league but we're still way short of what we could be...as even emphasised by the fact that we'd be 7 points clear but for two missed penalties and still with massive room for improvement. Testimony to a fabulous team but so much as yet unrealised potential.

Archived