Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Union FS - This Sunday

Don't think this protest is the way to go.

I bet many of the people protesting pay for Sky subscriptions, so are helping to fund Sky while also protesting against them. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also, waiting outside the ground or in the concourse for 5 minutes isn't even going to be noticed. How many people come up to the stands five minutes late anyway? Finishing off their beer or late to the ground from the pub etc.

I don't think it's been thought about very much, and has been rushed through to protest at this game. It would have been better to think of something actually noticeable and do it at a different game if the time wasn't there to organise properly.

Don't see why the protest could not have involved everyone holding up some kind of message on an A4 sheet throughout the entirety of the game. Means that everyone can get behind the boys and support the team, see what they've paid for, whilst ensuring that the message gets across to the TV audience during corner kicks in that area of the ground, goals, etc.

People will argue cost, etc. but those willing to back the protests could have printed a pre-agreed message in a specific format at home. This would have allowed those who want to engage to make that decision themselves rather than being forced to comply by either doing something which they don't truly believe in or left to feel isolated by their fellow fans because they chose to not take action / protest in their own way.

Even if the broadcaster flatly refused to screen the protests (which is still a possibility with the proposed protest) the other media outlets would have jumped on it and given the exposure needed to get the point across.

I agree that something needed to be done, as the broadcaster's actions are unacceptable, but more thought and consultation should have gone into any proposed action.

"Forced to comply"

I mean...come on. Union FS have said they will be staging a protest, and have invited other fans (including Arsenal fans) to participate. They have made very clear that it is up to fans to decide how they want to play it - and that different decisions should be respected.

Go and look through their previous statements if you like, instead of just making things up.

I appreciate your point about consultation - but at the same time I'm realistic enough to accept that sometimes, direct democracy is a poor substitute for leadership.

I can't be bothered to go through all the arguments again, clearly there are some on here that are determined not to listen.

Suffice it to say that some really need to redefine their parameters for "success" in protests. There seems to be an assumption that the protest is being done with the ambition of changing the PL contract overnight. It is not. Everyone has accepted that is not going to happen.

Instead, look at it as the first stage of a wider movement from fans' groups to give better representation to match-going fans in the era of television. Fans have been shafted for a while, but the internet is now giving us the necessary tools to organise and fight back.

It's not about hating TV companies. I personally enjoy Sky's coverage and think they have done much to improve the sport. But we need to make sure that the "brave new world" is fair for those who attend the games too.

Seen a lot of people saying it shouldn't happen because of how big the game is, also seen ridiculous comments about this being a 'minor' thing...

Imagine you had purchased tickets for one of the biggest games in your clubs history and then Sky decided to move it late on, to a day you couldn't make it. Hotels booked, trains booked all down the drain AND you'd miss the game. Of course some have been inconvenienced more than others but where do you draw the line? 3 week's notice? 1 week's notice?

This thread makes me sad because it looks like lots are happy to just take it and use the size of the game as an excuse.

Seen a lot of people saying it shouldn't happen because of how big the game is, also seen ridiculous comments about this being a 'minor' thing...

Imagine you had purchased tickets for one of the biggest games in your clubs history and then Sky decided to move it late on, to a day you couldn't make it. Hotels booked, trains booked all down the drain AND you'd miss the game. Of course some have been inconvenienced more than others but where do you draw the line? 3 week's notice? 1 week's notice?

This thread makes me sad because it looks like lots are happy to just take it and use the size of the game as an excuse.

Top post.

But, at the time when the tickets went on sale, it wasn't one of the biggest games in the clubs history. 

Sadly I don't see this particular protest working. There is no way Sky will show any pictures or even mention the protest, why would they? I see someone on FB had the idea of releasing thousands of balloons at a chosen minute during the game, I could see that working as a slight disruption and spectacle.

Sadly I don't see this particular protest working. There is no way Sky will show any pictures or even mention the protest, why would they? I see someone on FB had the idea of releasing thousands of balloons at a chosen minute during the game, I could see that working as a slight disruption and spectacle.

It's already attracted lots of media attention so who cares?

"Forced to comply"

I mean...come on. Union FS have said they will be staging a protest, and have invited other fans (including Arsenal fans) to participate. They have made very clear that it is up to fans to decide how they want to play it - and that different decisions should be respected.

Go and look through their previous statements if you like, instead of just making things up.

I appreciate your point about consultation - but at the same time I'm realistic enough to accept that sometimes, direct democracy is a poor substitute for leadership.

I can't be bothered to go through all the arguments again, clearly there are some on here that are determined not to listen.

Suffice it to say that some really need to redefine their parameters for "success" in protests. There seems to be an assumption that the protest is being done with the ambition of changing the PL contract overnight. It is not. Everyone has accepted that is not going to happen.

Instead, look at it as the first stage of a wider movement from fans' groups to give better representation to match-going fans in the era of television. Fans have been shafted for a while, but the internet is now giving us the necessary tools to organise and fight back.

It's not about hating TV companies. I personally enjoy Sky's coverage and think they have done much to improve the sport. But we need to make sure that the "brave new world" is fair for those who attend the games too.

I've read the Union FS statements and agree that they are suggesting that the protest is a matter of free will, however they have no control over people not necessarily associated with the group, and I can see this either leading to animosity towards those who chose to ignore the protest or people emotionally feeling obliged to comply because they don't want to be seen to go against the masses or feel intimated to do so.

By all means I'm certain Union FS members will behave themselves and discourage this type of behaviour as they have their own code of conduct, but it wouldn't surprise me if others not associated with the group took it upon themselves to abuse those who choose to make a different choice.

If these leaflets we're being distributed solely to their members, then fair enough you could argue that the group has mechanisms in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line, but my understanding is that these will be distributed outside of the ground before the game indiscriminately and as such they automatically lose that element of control over none members.

Whilst I don't agree with what the broadcaster has done in this instance, the team are in a very unique position given our recent history, so why should the broadcaster who has already inconvenienced the fans in attendance also impact those who have made the effort to attend by making them miss the first 5 minutes and create a situation whereby the teams efforts become secondary to a situation created by them? This is becoming a distraction that neither the fans nor team need ahead of what is a massive game for the club.

Surely there are better more impactful ways to make Sky pay attention. In all honesty they would happily continue as they are even if the stadium was empty so long as those at home keep paying their monthly subscriptions, after all their revenue doesn't come from the stands. For any change to occur, its the subscribers that need to take action not the fans inside the ground.

I've read the Union FS statements and agree that they are suggesting that the protest is a matter of free will, however they have no control over people not necessarily associated with the group, and I can see this either leading to animosity towards those who chose to ignore the protest or people emotionally feeling obliged to comply because they don't want to be seen to go against the masses or feel intimated to do so.

By all means I'm certain Union FS members will behave themselves and discourage this type behaviour as they have their own code of conduct, but it wouldn't surprise me if others not associated with the group took it upon themselves to abuse those who choose to make a different choice.

If these leaflets we're being distributed solely to their members, then fair enough you could argue that the group has mechanisms in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line, but my understanding is that these will be distributed outside of the ground before the game indiscriminately and as such they automatically lose that element of control over none memebers.

Whilst I don't agree with what the broadcaster has done in this instance, the team are in a very unique position given our recent history, so why should the broadcaster who has already inconvenienced the fans in attendance also impact those who have made the effort to attend by making them miss the first 5 minutes and create a situation whereby the teams efforts become secondary to a situation create by them? Surely there are better more impactful ways to make Sky pay attention. In all honesty they would happily continue as they are even if the stadium was empty so long as those at home keep paying their monthly subscriptions, after all their revenue doesn't come from the stands. For any change to occur, its the subscribers that need to take action not the fans inside the ground.

I assume you read the flyer, Union FS have asked many many times for people to respect each other's decisions. You're right, there will probably will be some friction (especially seeing that our fans have fought each other over whether a player is cup tied or not...), but I'm going to stick my neck out and say those taking part will cop a lot more stick than those not, especially those being proactive and handing out the leaflets.

I assume you read the flyer, Union FS have asked many many times for people to respect each other's decisions. You're right, there will probably will be some friction (especially seeing that our fans have fought each other over whether a player is cup tied or not...), but I'm going to stick my neck out and say those taking part will cop a lot more stick than those not, especially those being proactive and handing out the leaflets.

Yes I have read the flyer and acknowledge the statements made by the group but this is my point, irrespective of peoples views about the situation there should be no animosity towards fellow fans on either side of the argument. People's frustrations should be directed towards the broadcaster not each other.

To those wondering about supporting the team tomorrow and the effect of missing the first 5 minutes - I dare say that action is more likely to effect Arsenal than us.

Arsenal won't sing much in that first 5, so if there's little away support at that point and its quiet, this will unsettle Arsenal more than us. Then imagine the boost our players would then get when 2/3000 fans come in after 5 minutes chanting / singing etc, etc, on that mark, that sudden rush of noise - almost a perfect tonic!

Yes I have read the flyer and acknowledge the statements made by the group but this is my point, irrespective of peoples views about the situation there should be no animosity towards fellow fans on either side of the argument. People's frustrations should be directed towards the broadcaster not each other.

Yes mate agree 100%!

By all means I'm certain Union FS members will behave themselves and discourage this type of behaviour as they have their own code of conduct, but it wouldn't surprise me if others not associated with the group took it upon themselves to abuse those who choose to make a different choice.

If these leaflets we're being distributed solely to their members, then fair enough you could argue that the group has mechanisms in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line, but my understanding is that these will be distributed outside of the ground before the game indiscriminately and as such they automatically lose that element of control over none members.

Whilst I don't agree with what the broadcaster has done in this instance, the team are in a very unique position given our recent history, so why should the broadcaster who has already inconvenienced the fans in attendance also impact those who have made the effort to attend by making them miss the first 5 minutes and create a situation whereby the teams efforts become secondary to a situation created by them? This is becoming a distraction that neither the fans nor team need ahead of what is a massive game for the club.

Surely there are better more impactful ways to make Sky pay attention. In all honesty they would happily continue as they are even if the stadium was empty so long as those at home keep paying their monthly subscriptions, after all their revenue doesn't come from the stands. For any change to occur, its the subscribers that need to take action not the fans inside the ground.

If people abuse those not taking part, then that's obviously wrong. But I don't think it will happen - the reverse is more likely, if anything.

In any case, it's not really a valid argument against the protest per se.

As for Sky's revenue not coming from the stands - I actually disagree.

Obviously in a literal sense their profits come from subscribers, but the 'product' that they sell depends massively on the fans who go, because part of what they are selling is shots of a full stadium and a loud atmosphere.

The modern spectacle of football on TV isn't something that has been purely created by the broadcasters; the fans play a part too. In this sense, televised sport is different from a televised play, opera, etc.

Again, I stress - this is not about protesting against TV itself. This is not some latter-day rise of the Luddites. It's just about trying to convince the authorities to set up the broadcasting contract with a sense of fairness - including respect for match-going fans.

12481796_225751717766446_436683264_n.jpg
ALEX GRIMM/BONGARTS/GETTY IMAGES

Borussia Dortmund: Bundesliga Club's Match Interrupted by Fans Throwing Tennis Balls Onto Pitch

Visiting Dortmund fans threw the balls onto the field during the club's German Cup match in Stuttgart to protest rising ticket prices. Many fans also boycotted the first 20 minutes of the match.

Video 

I support the cause, and sadly will not be there on Sunday, but if I was I would be torn between supporting the cause and the team.

If the majority of people were in the concourse area I would stay there but if a load of people had already gone into the stand, I would probably do the same. As I want to watch the game.

One request is for those that want to see the game and support the cause is to stay as far back as possible so it looks emptier.

I get the point about what is protest without sacrifice, but this protest could have been more effective by encouraging everyone to wear black, buying black t-shirts with a big £ sign or $KY symbol on it.

A sea of black would be as visible as a sea of empty seats.

12481796_225751717766446_436683264_n.jpg

ALEX GRIMM/BONGARTS/GETTY IMAGES

Borussia Dortmund: Bundesliga Club's Match Interrupted by Fans Throwing Tennis Balls Onto Pitch

Visiting Dortmund fans threw the balls onto the field during the club's German Cup match in Stuttgart to protest rising ticket prices. Many fans also boycotted the first 20 minutes of the match.

Video

https://www.facebook.com/itsanultralife/videos/981629671916668/

They also boycotted the first 5 minutes. Their main fan group physically cordoned off the safe standing section of the away end (I think), and then opened it up and they went in.

Suggest if they want to keep your credibility they get rid of someone who is a member of your group from trying to sell a ticket for tomorrow's game for 250 pounds.

How do I add a link from my phone?

Search for @@AdamLCFC on twitter as from my phone I can't seem to be able to add a link to the tweet. Plus he has blocked me now as well as I called him out on it.

https://twitter.com/AdamLCFC/status/698644824346533889

Archived