Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

26 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Just to carry over my post from the "How was your day?" thread....

I was fired from my job of 19 years on Tuesday.

I snapped on a female co-worker(once a close friend) and used some very bad language toward her.

I was told to take the next day off while they decided what to do. The following day I received a text that my employment there had been terminated.

I went to my family doc today to tell him I need help. I've always said I was bipolar but never been diagnosed or sought help for it.

I've also had an on and off battle with drinking throughout the years.

It felt good to admit I needed help. I will be getting counselling and seeing a psychiatrist.

Feels like I finally have taken a step forward.

Good luck Munky! Hope all goes well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I snapped on a female co-worker(once a close friend) and used some very bad language toward her.

I was told to take the next day off while they decided what to do. The following day I received a text that my employment there had been terminated.

I went to my family doc today to tell him I need help. I've always said I was bipolar but never been diagnosed or sought help for it.

It felt good to admit I needed help. I will be getting counselling and seeing a psychiatrist.

Good on ya mate for seeing your Doc and seeking help.

You're right, it is a step forward and the start of a process that will hopefully help sort you out. It's great that you'll also be getting some counselling - the best thing I ever did.

I wish you well mate and keep us updates on how you get on :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Guest Harrydc

Starting to feel like I can't function without taking sleeping Meds, the doctor is refusing to give me more zopoclone and over the counter tablets aren't helping, how does he expect me to be able to sleep ? I already had problems but they massively escalated when I had a traumatic car accident a few months back. It's like a vicious circle, the lack of sleep doesn't help my other mental health issues, any suggestions? 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Starting to feel like I can't function without taking sleeping Meds, the doctor is refusing to give me more zopoclone and over the counter tablets aren't helping, how does he expect me to be able to sleep ? I already had problems but they massively escalated when I had a traumatic car accident a few months back. It's like a vicious circle, the lack of sleep doesn't help my other mental health issues, any suggestions? 

Sounds rough mate, I feel for you. 

I remember struggling to come of Zopiclone and had to gradually wean myself off it (cutting pills into halves and quarters with a Stanley knife). Can the Doctor not prescribe you something else instead or reduce your dosage?

Over the counter stuff and herbal remedies did nothing for me so I hit the drink which made it worse. Eventually I saw sense and realised exercise was the only thing that would knacker me out enough to send me to sleep. 

Some may suggest lighting up a spliff and I know that works for many people. But really your GP should be helping you through this. If you're not happy with him/her then you're well within your rights to ask to speak with a different GP.

Hopefully others will be along soon to give you some better advice. Good luck fella :thumbup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I would strongly suggest appealing the termination on the grounds of depression if you want to stay there. Current climate around depression means you would stand a fair chance.

Guest Harrydc
26 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Sounds rough mate, I feel for you. 

I remember struggling to come of Zopiclone and had to gradually wean myself off it (cutting pills into halves and quarters with a Stanley knife). Can the Doctor not prescribe you something else instead or reduce your dosage?

Over the counter stuff and herbal remedies did nothing for me so I hit the drink which made it worse. Eventually I saw sense and realised exercise was the only thing that would knacker me out enough to send me to sleep. 

Some may suggest lighting up a spliff and I know that works for many people. But really your GP should be helping you through this. If you're not happy with him/her then you're well within your rights to ask to speak with a different GP.

Hopefully others will be along soon to give you some better advice. Good luck fella :thumbup:

Thank you mate. I hope your well now,

i know now what you mean about hitting the drink though I can't think of the last time I had a completely sober day haha (I'm not driving anymore so it's not a problem in that regard). 

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Thank you mate. I hope your well now,

i know now what you mean about hitting the drink though I can't think of the last time I had a completely sober day haha (I'm not driving anymore so it's not a problem in that regard). 

Cheers buddy, I'm much better now thanks.

I got to the stage where I was doing 4 cans of Boddingtons and a bottle of wine each night - fvckin crazy when I look back on it. At the time I thought it was the answer but booze just made me more irritable and depressed. 

I think I read somewhere that alcohol actually makes sleep worse when we actually think it helps? I know now that it's not the answer and I haven't had a drink since last October. Although I was ill over Xmas, I feel so much better for not drinking (and richer :D)

I hope you sort your sleep out Harry. As I get older I realise the importance of it now...

And on that note, I’m off to bed!

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

Guest Harrydc
7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I got to the stage where I was doing 4 cans of Boddingtons and a bottle of wine each night - fvckin crazy when I look back on it. At the time I thought it was the answer but booze just made me more irritable and depressed. 

I think I read somewhere that alcohol actually makes sleep worse when we actually think it helps? I know now that it's not the answer and I haven't had a drink since last October. Although I was ill over Xmas, I feel so much better for not drinking (and richer :D)

I hope you sort your sleep out Harry. As I get older I realise the importance of it now...

Cheers for all the advice mate, it means a lot knowing someone is taking time out of their day to help others. Glad your feeling better mate. ????

Guest Harrydc
39 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Booze definitely makes your sleep worse, or at least mine. If I’ve had a skin full I wake up at about 5am and can’t get back to sleep.

Short term though it knocks me out - which is the only reason why I'm sitting here now 3 budweisers in lol 

just wish i could close my eyes and just forget everything and go sleep like a normal functioning human being lol

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

I would strongly suggest appealing the termination on the grounds of depression if you want to stay there. Current climate around depression means you would stand a fair chance.

I did think of that but....

I have been contacted by the owner and they are willing to take me back.

I'm meeting with them next week to discuss "terms and conditions" for my return.

Bit nervous about that, but happy to have the chance to make things right.

Also, from all this I've finally got help so at the end of the day I feel like it's a win.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Too right, who mixes Boddington’s with wine! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Short term though it knocks me out - which is the only reason why I'm sitting here now 3 budweisers in lol 

just wish i could close my eyes and just forget everything and go sleep like a normal functioning human being lol

Insomnia is vicious in that it makes the night a time of anxiety.  You have to be able to relax in order to sleep, and if you haven't been sleeping well then anxiety sets in as the time for sleep approaches.  Alcohol can reduce the anxiety but it limits your sleep, typically resulting in waking in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep again.

Sleep is also a habit - once you're into the habit of not sleeping when you go to bed it stays with you, the cycle must be broken and that's when drugs such as Zopiclone, Temazepan and Diazepan can be useful.  The problem is they're addictive and should ideally be used simply to re-establish the sleep cycle that you want.  Prolonged and continuous use can cause more problems, which may be why your GP won't prescribe any more.  Personally, and having suffered from insomnia myself, I think that's a bad idea as if you have the pills that will knock you out that reduces anxiety which will help you sleep.

Exercise can help but in my opinion it's not a magic bullet.  I've failed to sleep when I felt absolutely knackered, it's like the anxiety had me on a hook and wouldn't let go.  Having said that please don't discount exercise, it could work really well for you and certainly won't do any harm.

Believe it or not over-the-counter painkillers such as Nurofen can help sleep but please don't take them and alcohol as well.  I've taken them as an alternative to Zopiclone and whilst they may take a little longer to work I've still found them to be effective.  They also didn't make me feel as tired the next day as Zopiclone did.  I know that some people have also had success with herbal remedies, but they didn't work for me, again they're worth a try.

Guest Harrydc
3 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Insomnia is vicious in that it makes the night a time of anxiety.  You have to be able to relax in order to sleep, and if you haven't been sleeping well then anxiety sets in as the time for sleep approaches.  Alcohol can reduce the anxiety but it limits your sleep, typically resulting in waking in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep again.

Sleep is also a habit - once you're into the habit of not sleeping when you go to bed it stays with you, the cycle must be broken and that's when drugs such as Zopiclone, Temazepan and Diazepan can be useful.  The problem is they're addictive and should ideally be used simply to re-establish the sleep cycle that you want.  Prolonged and continuous use can cause more problems, which may be why your GP won't prescribe any more.  Personally, and having suffered from insomnia myself, I think that's a bad idea as if you have the pills that will knock you out that reduces anxiety which will help you sleep.

Exercise can help but in my opinion it's not a magic bullet.  I've failed to sleep when I felt absolutely knackered, it's like the anxiety had me on a hook and wouldn't let go.  Having said that please don't discount exercise, it could work really well for you and certainly won't do any harm.

Believe it or not over-the-counter painkillers such as Nurofen can help sleep but please don't take them and alcohol as well.  I've taken them as an alternative to Zopiclone and whilst they may take a little longer to work I've still found them to be effective.  They also didn't make me feel as tired the next day as Zopiclone did.  I know that some people have also had success with herbal remedies, but they didn't work for me, again they're worth a try.

Thank you for all the advice mate .

10 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Have you tried anti-depressents? I'm on a very low dose (10mg) of Citalopram which completely takes the edge off of my anxiety and I haven't had a bad night sleep since I've been on them in November. Unfortunately sleep is one of the fundamentals for a healthy mind along with hydration, exercise and diet, if you get those all in order then you give yourself a much better platform to work from. I also went through the stage in my final year at uni of having 2/3 pints a night to calm me down so that I could sleep but I stopped doing that as soon as I left the destructive environment I was in in my final year house so I guess that was circumstancial. The car accident is a awful thing to happen and it's no wonder that your anxiety is peaking, trauma's cause spikes in our neurotransmitters in our brain which can alter your mood and behaviour quite dramatically so I definietly thing it's worth seeking talking therapy (if you can afford a counsellor maybe?), because you might have a long wait on the NHS. Good luck mate!  

Guest Harrydc
2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Have you tried anti-depressents? I'm on a very low dose (10mg) of Citalopram which completely takes the edge off of my anxiety and I haven't had a bad night sleep since I've been on them in November. Unfortunately sleep is one of the fundamentals for a healthy mind along with hydration, exercise and diet, if you get those all in order then you give yourself a much better platform to work from. I also went through the stage in my final year at uni of having 2/3 pints a night to calm me down so that I could sleep but I stopped doing that as soon as I left the destructive environment I was in in my final year house so I guess that was circumstancial. The car accident is a awful thing to happen and it's no wonder that your anxiety is peaking, trauma's cause spikes in our neurotransmitters in our brain which can alter your mood and behaviour quite dramatically so I definietly thing it's worth seeking talking therapy (if you can afford a counsellor maybe?), because you might have a long wait on the NHS. Good luck mate!  

I'm actually on citalopram right now which do seem to help a little with anxiety but not the sleep for some reason, and yeah I went for that through the NHS, waited around 2 months but it didn't really help. I think I might give excersize a go, it can't be a bad thing anyway. 

Thanks though mate, I'm  seriosly overwhelmed by the responses I've got on here, some brilliant people on this forum. :)

5 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I'm actually on citalopram right now which do seem to help a little with anxiety but not the sleep for some reason, and yeah I went for that through the NHS, waited around 2 months but it didn't really help. I think I might give excersize a go, it can't be a bad thing anyway. 

Thanks though mate, I'm  seriosly overwhelmed by the responses I've got on here, some brilliant people on this forum. :)

It's crap because there's not one cure, or else nobody would be depressed or anxious, we have to perservere and see what works for us individually. But biologically exercise works, in fact it releases the same chemicals in your brain that alcohol does (endorphins), you just have to summon up the courage to take that first jog and really knacker yourself out even if it you feel like dying after 5 minutes. 

We're all in it together, and it's so important to hear from other people who have been in your situation, you're not alone and you will get better, just don't expect overnight miracles, but you will get there!

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Figured this might be of interest to a few who use this thread. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43143889

lol

"they do work, honest!" "please keep buying our stuff!" 

There'll be a new study next week that says they don't. If you have to spend millions in research just to prove they do, they probably don't. 

Significantly, flouxetine is one of the most common in the UK and US. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Well a year after the worst period of my life, things are all good. Been off the meds for a long while now, have the odd bad day.

I've found out today that after starting a job 6 months ago to get my shit together and being promoted after a couple of months, I'm being promoted again to assistant manager of a half million pound refurbed pub that's opening next month!

If I got through that last year, anyone can :thumbup:

Congratulations.

Glad you came through it. Sadly I'll never forget last year its a little like the reverse of 15/16. Breaking my hip was bad enough but it's not set well and I'm in pain every time I stand. Won't even be able to have an after match kick about with the grand son today. But I'm going to batter him at scalextircs lollol 

Guest Harrydc
On 23/02/2018 at 17:52, tom27111 said:

Well a year after the worst period of my life, things are all good. Been off the meds for a long while now, have the odd bad day.

I've found out today that after starting a job 6 months ago to get my shit together and being promoted after a couple of months, I'm being promoted again to assistant manager of a half million pound refurbed pub that's opening next month!

If I got through that last year, anyone can :thumbup:

Well done mate happy for you pal