Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Tom, if you're up in the area on Boxing Day, I've a spare ticket for the match which you can have if you want. You'll be sat next to me and my son but it's yours if you want it  @tom27111

Lovely gesture mate. You're definitely one of the good guys on here. Merry Christmas! :scarf:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Tom, if you're up in the area on Boxing Day, I've a spare ticket for the match which you can have if you want. You'll be sat next to me and my son but it's yours if you want it  @tom27111

That is a lovely gesture, thank you, but I won't be.

I'm not sure the way we're playing at the minute is helping my condition anyway!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Closest I've come in a long while to doing something stupid today. Hate being in that place again!

Sorry to hear that mate. You can always let it out on here. It may not solve everything but it will probably help you and others a little bit.

• Like 2

Just now, stripeyfox said:

Sorry to hear that mate. You can always let it out on here. It may not solve everything but it will probably help you and others a little bit.

Trust me mate I have lol (see the How was your day thread)

The thought of my daughter will always stop me thankfully

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Closest I've come in a long while to doing something stupid today. Hate being in that place again!

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Trust me mate I have lol (see the How was your day thread)

The thought of my daughter will always stop me thankfully

I know I've banged on about this before, but just notice how much your 'thoughts' dictate how you feel mate. I guess you 'thought' about doing something stupid today (and thankfully didn't) but the 'thought' of your daughter will always stop you.

So you've got a good strategy to deal with stuff here pal. Every time you're thoughts are screwed and you're feeling in a shit place, thinking of your daughter will change your emotional state immediately. Gratitude will always trump negative thinking in my experience and will get you out of 'that place' every time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Sorry to hear that mate.There are some really decent guys on here that are probably better at giving advice than me ,but if just one person can help a little it's a step in the right direction.

wishing you all the best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

You're my inspiration on here buddy. I truly mean that

Don't be afraid to speak out.

I sat all of my old mates down individually and told them I'd been in hospital. 

None judged me. They all asked how they could help.

I wanted to cry again, in front of them all.

The mental health 'judgement' is disappearing. 

Talk to people. It's helping me.

• Like 4

Good to see you're doing good man :D, bad days do happen and can be almost inexplicable sometimes - i had one two days ago and it was rough because once again i lost a bit of my rationale with it - in the end I got through it by just getting through the day and trying to remind myself i'd probably feel better the next day with some rest - and I did, managed to get my ass down to town, do some shopping amongst the crowds and etc - and then went out with a mate of mine for the evening for a drive out around the coast - and discovered he was on the same pills as me lol life eh? I just woke up after a few hours so saw you'd posted and wanted to make sure you were good, lovely to hear from you buddy, happy new year for a few days time as well - be careful with the booze if you do want a drink, my mate fell off the wagon the other day (who i went out with) and he said it reminded him how he felt fine while he was drinking but so so bad when he was coming down from all the booze - that's the moment where it catches you and makes you worse (or an alcoholic eventually), not saying don't drink, just be careful as that chemically could make you have a bad day post-drinking. all the best!

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Don't be afraid to speak out.

I sat all of my old mates down individually and told them I'd been in hospital. 

None judged me. They all asked how they could help.

I wanted to cry again, in front of them all.

The mental health 'judgement' is disappearing. 

Talk to people. It's helping me.

It's wonderful to hear that you sat down with all your old mates and talked to them Tom. 

Deep down I think most people just want to help others - it's human nature and hopefully people will keep paying it forward.

I've noticed from your posts that you seem to be 'better' when physically with other people and talking to them, and 'worse' when you're on your own. 

So keep pushing yourself mate, keep talking, and continue interacting with others at every opportunity. Maybe the meds are also kicking in and it sounds like you're moving in the right direction.

We're all really chuffed for you Tom. Onwards and upwards buddy :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Sitting down and telling one of my mates gave me an absolute golden moment ...

Me "I've been in hospital for a couple of weeks, this is pretty hard to say, but I've been diagnosed with..."

Him, starts welling up  "you've got cancer haven't you" 

Me "what? No. I was going to say severe depression"

Him...just looks at me crying...

Me "ffs, I'm fine. I'm not dying. Although this is awkward. I kind of wish I was"

Him "I'm just glad you're not dying. Please don't tell anyone I cried"

lol

So the first thing you do is share it online lol I like your style.

See if you can possibly somehow tom get a copy of Nick Frosts (actor from Spaced, Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz etc) book to read - "Truths, half truths & little white lies - a memoir" - firstly reading for me is better than watching while being a bit under the weather (when your reading your processing information rather than just visually following with tv - engages the mind more) it's a good read about what was a difficult opening to his life, his battles with anxiety and ultimately drugs and alcohol - and there's some quite inspirational stuff in there, I connect to parts of his story strongly. He's the sort of bloke who when he turned up a few minutes late for an interview with a newspaper (i believe if memory serves me correct) he ended up filled with dread and anxiety at that unlucky situation and ended up subsiquently opening up and showing how vulnerable he actually was in order to explain why he was so nervous just sitting down with the reporter. One line that a friend of his told him I will always hold with me,

(found the quote) “Smiley was the guy who made me realise that it was all right to succeed. No one had ever told me that. It was something I’d never considered before. That’s stayed with me ever since. It’s okay to succeed. I knew what it felt like to hurt and fail, those things were familiar to me. But the thought that I was allowed to succeed was something new and scary and something I needed to hear.”

While you've held down a job and whatnot you're at a stage of your life now it seems man when there are changes happening and that can make things tricky, when things get hard keep that in mind mate. Keep looking forward, small steps.