Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

A fair few people have mentioned it but exercising can really help if that is your thing, Gets you out and about while making you feel good about yourself. 

Its not for everyone either but having a dog is a good way to get exercise and have some company in the evenings.

Agreed on both counts.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Nights are the worst. 

I'm not saying I'm going to take my life, but those thoughts are going round my head and I can't stop them. I hate it.

My thoughts are that it'll stop me feeling like this and nobody will miss me.

Saying this makes me sound like I want attention, but I don't.  I'm just saying it how it is.

The good news is, I don't think I have the balls to kill myself, even if I wanted to.

No one thinks your are attention seeking so lets get that out of the way for starters.

People have said to me before that those who take their own life see it as their only option - a lack of choices if you will.

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that but I do understand the bleakness that one can feel in the small hours. 

You've already demonstrated considerable courage to post on here. Just keep going - one tiny step at a time.

• Like 1

The other thing about doing exercise, is that if you've exercised in the evening, then you will be tired when you try to go to bed, so might find it a bit easier to fall asleep and overcome some of the thoughts keeping you awake. Might be worth a go.

As other people have said, don't feel ashamed about seeking help, none of this is your fault, its just chemicals in your brain. This is exactly what the health services are for, for helping people with medical problems such as these.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

The other thing about doing exercise, is that if you've exercised in the evening, then you will be tired when you try to go to bed, so might find it a bit easier to fall asleep and overcome some of the thoughts keeping you awake. Might be worth a go.

As other people have said, don't feel ashamed about seeking help, none of this is your fault, its just chemicals in your brain. This is exactly what the health services are for, for helping people with medical problems such as these.

Personally I find it better to exercise in the morning (in terms of getting sleep).

If I exercise in the evening, then all the adrenaline keeps me awake for much longer.

23 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Well done for speaking out Tom. As blokes we struggle with speaking out about things such as mental health. 

There are some great charities out there, such as CALM, who can offer support and help to anyone. I'm sure you already know about these, but even if it's someone to just speak to when you feel a bit low, give them a call. 

From my own experience, I was really low and depressed about a year ago. Yeah I had been struggling before, but for a few months it just hit me really bad. There would be days in which I wouldn't get out of bed and I had zero motivation to do anything. I don't know what it was that brought it on, I just couldn't shake the feeling of being useless and pointless, my mere existence just feeling completely aimless. I piled weight on and everyday would become a huge struggle for me to just do the normal everyday things in which we would all take for granted. For me I felt incredibly lonely even when I was surrounded by those that I love. 

A year later I have changed completely. My life has changed completely, I now work full time in a job I love and I have a reason to get up and leave the house every day. 

I don't know what helped me necessarily, but by speaking out you have done something incredible. The courage it takes to speak out about how you are feeling is something that is truly remarkable. I didn't speak out about how I felt, and I think maybe I could have been helped sooner. 

Everyone on here who has commented, (and those who haven't) think you really are an amazing person. I speak for everyone on this forum when I say, we're all just blokes sitting behind computers who would love to go for a pint with you and put the world (and LCFC) to rights. 

Stay strong fella. 

Very well put - especially the last paragraph. 

Stick at it, Tom. 

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Thank you all again.

I'm out of rep points, but I'll consider everything.

I'm kind of overwhelmed by the response. I'm very teary as it is, but you guys are awesome.

Thank you, yet again.

We are a good bunch really.So pleased for you if any of the FT family have helped you in anyway.

one thing I have noticed over the years on here is,yes there are arguments,yes there is P!ss taking,but when someone is needing help,advice or have problems you can guarantee people will genuinely want to help.

• Like 3

A little tip I learnt recently doing training.

If you know somebody who is feeling depressed, or even suicidal, and you've mentioned the Samaritans to them....you make the phone call for them in the first instance. Ie. Be there with the person to call the Sams. Like anything, once they've called the first time, they will probably be more willing to call them again, when you aren't with them.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Just quickly again mate... im here quite often during the UK nights... if you need to chat, just give me a shout.... at the very least youll get me out of work :) and just imagine the thrilling stories an old man living on the edge of a desert can share with you lol 

It really gladdens my heart to think that people offer help to others like this.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:39, tom27111 said:

Thanks everyone for your support.

I feel so silly and ashamed by it all.

With regards to my living situation, I can't get any help because I'm in employment. I've got a steady job and get paid next week.

At the end of the month, I get a lump sum of cash, so I'm hoping to relocate somewhere early in the new year and just stay in a b&b until I find something when I'm out of hospital. 

Starting from scratch again is something that upsets me.

I can be transferred pretty much anywhere in the country with work.

I have suffered from depression on and off for thirty years or so, and see my GP regularly with regard to it.

Depression comes in many forms, and results in all sorts of highly unpleasant ways.

If you wish to PM me, then please do so.

• Like 1

Another good thing is to talk to someone. It will help massively.

You don't have to think it will be like going to a shrink,just have s chat with someone close to you.

Exercise as people have said is A MASSIVE help.

Don't keep it in,find sn outlet,but accept that you will have some dark dark days- it's just learning to accept them days and get through them safely

Don't take people for how they are perceived as aload of comedians suffer from depression.... Who makes the comedians laugh??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raj said:

Another good thing is to talk to someone. It will help massively.

You don't have to think it will be like going to a shrink,just have s chat with someone close to you.

Exercise as people have said is A MASSIVE help.

Don't keep it in,find sn outlet,but accept that you will have some dark dark days- it's just learning to accept them days and get through them safely

Don't take people for how they are perceived as aload of comedians suffer from depression.... Who makes the comedians laugh??

To be honest Raj, I think that is why this thread is so important. I don't want to vent my problems here but I'm not ready to go and see a professional, as it were. But I'm growing more confident that if I were to "unload" here that it would be treated with respect and compassion and from what I have seen so far, some pretty decent advice. 

It is as you say, an outlet. Not forcing someone into a surgery or hospital, but a place were they can reveal as much as they want (more or less anonymously) and someone will listen.

Possibly the most important thread on this whole site (now that the Rachel ones are banned!):)

• Like 3

On 12/12/2016 at 23:41, Swan Lesta said:

For many, starting with the basics and writing down a few core problems that they are facing - say just four things and next to them write a tangible realistic list of actual real-world positive things they can do or begin to do the next day to make small inward roads to address the issues. They may be tiny - maybe making a call, writing or opening a letter, going for a short walk - small steps.

I found writing about it (in my case through creative writing, rather than like this) very therapeutic when I was first dealing with moderate depression and severe social anxiety. Getting it all out in private really helped me process and feel comfortable enough to start opening up to people and both of those things made it easier to articulate when I eventually got some help from the student wellbeing people at my Uni and later my GP. Whether it's actually advisable I don't know, but might be worth considering for those who want to talk about it but aren't ready to share it with others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark_w said:

I found writing about it (in my case through creative writing, rather than like this) very therapeutic when I was first dealing with moderate depression and severe social anxiety. Getting it all out in private really helped me process and feel comfortable enough to start opening up to people and both of those things made it easier to articulate when I eventually got some help from the student wellbeing people at my Uni and later my GP. Whether it's actually advisable I don't know, but might be worth considering for those who want to talk about it but aren't ready to share it with others.

Like Mark said, writing about it is good. Any sort of writing. Anywhere. There's an app called Elefriends where you can just post whatever you're thinking or feeling, completely anonymous - can sometimes be useful for just getting your feelings out and having support from people feeling the same way. You may also have heard of Big White Wall which may or may not be funded by your local NHS provider - if not it costs £24 a month which isn't worth it IMO.

Otherwise - creative writing is a great way to go. I did a screenwriting course at the Phoenix a couple of years ago which coincided with a really tough terminal illness and bereavement. It really helped me to write a script which sparked an enthusiasm for the craft that persists today; all I'm saying is creative writing isn't a bad place to express yourself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

To be honest Raj, I think that is why this thread is so important. I don't want to vent my problems here but I'm not ready to go and see a professional, as it were. But I'm growing more confident that if I were to "unload" here that it would be treated with respect and compassion and from what I have seen so far, some pretty decent advice. 

It is as you say, an outlet. Not forcing someone into a surgery or hospital, but a place were they can reveal as much as they want (more or less anonymously) and someone will listen.

Possibly the most important thread on this whole site (now that the Rachel ones are banned!):)

No one will judge you mate.

Depression has no sign. If you break a leg you have a plaster and people ask if your alright.

Depression and other mental issues don't have that sign. People would be shocked at names of people who suffer from depression.

It's not easy,do what helps but defo take the exercise,outlet, music,hobby and talking route. Good on ya. X

• Like 1

Tom, TAFKA and everyone who's contributed their personal bouts: you're all extremely inspiring people.

I've been lucky enough to never suffer from anything more than a little down and I still struggle to get it off my chest most the time, to have such a dark and difficult period of your life, especially multiple events, it's not just brave, but you're helping a lot of people come to terms and realise they can voice it and come forward to get help, whether it to take the preliminary steps of just talking about it or seek professional help, you should be proud of yourselves. I understand from your posts that it's difficult to see the positives but everything you write here is a positive contribution and we're all here to talk to you if you need it! :)

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 20:30, tom27111 said:

Nights are the worst. 

I'm not saying I'm going to take my life, but those thoughts are going round my head and I can't stop them. I hate it.

My thoughts are that it'll stop me feeling like this and nobody will miss me.

Saying this makes me sound like I want attention, but I don't.  I'm just saying it how it is.

The good news is, I don't think I have the balls to kill myself, even if I wanted to.

Sorry for taking the conversation backwards a little bit but I think this is an important point that needs a little expansion on:  There is a world of difference between wanting to die and being suicidal, the fact that you seem to class yourself in the former group is a very positive thing because it shows that for better or worse there's a part of you that still holds out hope for things to improve or cares too much about at least one person in your life to cause them that kind of pain.  Being a bit of a cynical, pessimistic cvnt I'm a big fan of the adage that "it's the hope that kills" or of the idea that people you care for only let you down, but if we're being honest here those ideas only apply to superficial expectations/disappointments which don't hold too much gravity in the grand scheme of things, regarding this matter - the most important of all matters that relate to your life - the existence of hope and others that you care for on some level is exactly what you need, it shows there is a good, well-adjusted person hiding underneath the mess that clutters your thoughts.  Keep it up.

• Like 2