Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

Allowing players to leave......

I beginning to wonder if the owners have decided to let players leave because they can't or don't want to pay the massive pay increases needed to keep them.  Vardy, Mahrez and Kante would be on 100k pw from 35/40 this time last year. I'm sure I read somewhere that Schimichel was offered £65k pw, Ziegeller is probably on 30-40.

Could the owners have decided that we're likely to revert to a midtable team and the wages are unsustainable?

That has to be wrong and please God it is.

11 players on an average of 100k a week &

11 players on an average of 40k a week

is still only a wage bill of £81m a year, we earnt £105m in our first season back and will double that this season.

I can't believe the owners have got this far only to penny pinch and settle for mediocrity. Settling for surviving on the cheap is a one way ticket to the Championship.

I beginning to wonder if the owners have decided to let players leave because they can't or don't want to pay the massive pay increases needed to keep them. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante would be on 100k pw from 35/40 this time last year. I'm sure I read somewhere that Schimichel was offered £65k pw, Ziegeller is probably on 30-40.

Could the owners have decided that we're likely to revert to a midtable team and the wages are unsustainable?

I think you could be close to the truth here, a lack of ambition may tie in with Walsh leaving although I do wonder how much Claudio listens to his opinion and whether that has something to do with it. Maybe success just came too quick for the Thais.

I think you could be close to the truth here, a lack of ambition may tie in with Walsh leaving although I do wonder how much Claudio listens to his opinion and whether that has something to do with it. Maybe success just came too quick for the Thais.

Hang on a minute, Walsh has gone nowhere and we've only lost Kante and that was by force rather than willingly.

No need to panic just yet. There is hysteria on here that the whole thing has fallen apart in a weekend and only Kante has left.

I wondered that re SW/CR but have been told they have an excellent working relationship with respect on both sides.

In some ways, letting some players go could be a master stroke for a couple of reasons;

1.) It lowers expectation, taking pressure away from our opening games and the season ahead.

2.) It gives the opportunity for new faces to 'step up'. Lads like Gray, Amartey and Moussa will hopefully see an opening and step up.

3.) It will give us a fresh approach - allowing us to evolve the way we play a little to maintain an element of surprise.

4.) The players that leave clearly have doubt about the clubs direction from here - so it's probably best not to have that doubt within the camp.

18 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Don't tell me you are already questioning Claudio? 

Pretty sure we've been over this topic before...

In regards to the Rudkin hate, I don't think he should be blamed for the previous contract negotiations (we don't really know how that process works anyway,) every single club in the Premier League that isn't a filthy rich consistant top 6 side has the majority of players on release clause / relegation clause contracts; this isn't new it's just part of agent negotiations they insist on including when flogging their players. I wouldn't be surprised to see some spookily low release clauses on some of our talents; £32m for Kante is actually fantastic business considering we paid £6m for him. What an achievement that was, profit of £26m + a direct impact on winning the league and making Champions League. 

I think people have to rememeber a lot of our squad signed their initial contracts when we were in the Championship, and most of the others after being promoted when there's such a high chance of going straight back down; so those release clauses are necessary. Those signed in this window will be somwhat different as players WANT to come to Leicester and can see a brighter more stable future at the club as opposed to a Watford or Burnley. Part of agent negotiations in new deals last year with Mahrez, this year with Vardy will include slightly lower release clauses than the top clubs because they have exceeded the level of expectation when originally signing said contract. Kante was signed for £6 to do a job for a team that only just survived relegation; he's surpassed that level and deservedly should be on a much much higher pay; even if we offer more than the likes of Chelsea / Barca, it would be a complete backwards move of progressing towards a stable top team in the Premiership. You can't just go from a Championship winning side to a Premiership winning side and expect all the players to remain, stay on their expected lower paid contracts and what our mangement and scouting percieved their level of ability and worth to be.

The most attractive element of Leicester these past few seasons have been bargain buys, signed from clubs who have undervalued their players - with us profiting in terms of transfers, and low wages. The last thing I want us to do is turn in to Chelsea, where they pay a terriffic sum of money in wages to a player like Kante, which he otherwise probabbly at this stage would not deserve when taking in account how well 10 other players for Leicester had performed on a match day.

Guest ttfn
2 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

Pretty sure we've been over this topic before...

In regards to the Rudkin hate, I don't think he should be blamed for the previous contract negotiations (we don't really know how that process works anyway,) every single club in the Premier League that isn't a filthy rich consistant top 6 side has the majority of players on release clause / relegation clause contracts; this isn't new it's just part of agent negotiations they insist on including when flogging their players. I wouldn't be surprised to see some spookily low release clauses on some of our talents; £32m for Kante is actually fantastic business considering we paid £6m for him. What an achievement that was, profit of £26m + a direct impact on winning the league and making Champions League. 

I think people have to rememeber a lot of our squad signed their initial contracts when we were in the Championship, and most of the others after being promoted when there's such a high chance of going straight back down; so those release clauses are necessary. Those signed in this window will be somwhat different as players WANT to come to Leicester and can see a brighter more stable future at the club as opposed to a Watford or Burnley. Part of agent negotiations in new deals last year with Mahrez, this year with Vardy will include slightly lower release clauses than the top clubs because they have exceeded the level of expectation when originally signing said contract. Kante was signed for £6 to do a job for a team that only just survived relegation; he's surpassed that level and deservedly should be on a much much higher pay; even if we offer more than the likes of Chelsea / Barca, it would be a complete backwards move of progressing towards a stable top team in the Premiership. You can't just go from a Championship winning side to a Premiership winning side and expect all the players to remain, stay on their expected lower paid contracts and what our mangement and scouting percieved their level of ability and worth to be.

The most attractive element of Leicester these past few seasons have been bargain buys, signed from clubs who have undervalued their players - with us profiting in terms of transfers, and low wages. The last thing I want us to do is turn in to Chelsea, where they pay a terriffic sum of money in wages to a player like Kante, which he otherwise probabbly at this stage would not deserve when taking in account how well 10 other players for Leicester had performed on a match day.

£32 million for Kante is not fantastic business.

£5.6 million for Kante was fantastic business.

The two are distinct transactions.

In a world where Sadio Mane is going for £35 million and Pogba is touted at £100 million, Kante is worth at least £40 million. Morgan Schneiderlin - a similar age playing a similar position at an inferior standard to Kante - cost £30 million last season, before this summer's crazy inflation.

Agree with the second half of your post fwiw.

Allowing players to leave is never a good sign for any Club aiming upwards. Yes the Owners had a five year plant to move the Club forward into the top 6. However last years success changed that. We need to re evaluate our position and continue our progress. That may mean digging our heels in with Staff and Players we want to retain. CR needs to keep quite with some of his comments and play his cards closer to his chest. Otherwise he'll put his foot in it and lose the respect of the Players.

Otherwise all we've achieved will ebb away slowly and we'll be back where we started.

Last season was great but it's history. We need to step up and move forward quickly. If that means giving Walsh a new title or more money so be it. We need to match his ambitions while matching ours.

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

£32 million for Kante is not fantastic business.

£5.6 million for Kante was fantastic business.

The two are distinct transactions.

In a world where Sadio Mane is going for £35 million and Pogba is touted at £100 million, Kante is worth at least £40 million. Morgan Schneiderlin - a similar age playing a similar position at an inferior standard to Kante - cost £30 million last season, before this summer's crazy inflation.

Agree with the second half of your post fwiw.

Really good point that and one I hadn't considered. Just because we got Kante for a steal, it doesn't mean that selling him for 30 is great business purely due to the profit margin. The two are completely separate transactions.

Trying too hard to keep certain players sets a dangerous precedent, though. Say you give three of them £100k per week just to stay for a few more years. What's that saying to Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, Christian Fuchs? The results wouldn't be good, and we know it.

Squad harmony is so important - as if we need reminding of that - and by obliterating a structure you risk upsetting that equalibrium.

Walsh is a bit different to that obviously, as someone in an important position of his own. I'd do what we can to keep him, but again you're just dealing with a human being. If he's unhappy,  you're not going to get his best work.

Money will only get you so far. You can say what you like about showing more ambition, but the truth is that players know the more traditional big clubs offer a greater chance of regular long-term success. And at that point, there's only so much you can do.

Guest seanfox778

Napoli put a £78.5m price tag on Higuain this evening according to Sky sports. Why can't we do that with Mahrez and other players? 

Well the club won't tell us about contracts so we can only speculate but after last season think they deserve far more credit than some give them for. When Kante signed it took some getting over the line and he clearly never fancied being here we were relegation favourites and perhaps a release clause was the only way to get Kante to sign. £20 million for a guy in a struggling side after one season seems reasonable lot depends if your glass is half empty or half full. Put a value now on Jordan Vertout or whatever his name is the Villa guy we wanted instead of Kante would think Vila would snap your hand off for £20 million and didn't he cost more than Kante.

Remember we also had Arsenal fans on here gloating about us being tin pot and them buying Vardy for £20 million and they would not sell the likes of Mesut and Sanchez for less than £80 million or so because they had 2 years left on their contracts, thats great until there is only 12 months left on a contract and they won't sign a new contract and you risk losing them for F all.

>> Really good point that and one I hadn't considered. Just because we got Kante for a steal, it doesn't mean that selling him for 30 is great business purely due to the profit margin. The two are completely separate transactions. <<

still excellent business.  Keeping players who have desires elsewhere & not happy here willbe bad business..

selling him for 32M is gggggreat

Doesn't mean these star personnel who leave for other clubs will be a success there - diff. set up = diff. chemistry .. haha

5 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Napoli put a £78.5m price tag on Higuain this evening according to Sky sports. Why can't we do that with Mahrez and other players? 

Some people are carried away way too easily...

Higuain is a proven goalscorer at the highest level, he does it year in, year out. Just look at his record with Real Madrid and SSC Napoli for Christ sake. lol Plus, he's a striker and he's got Europa League and Champions League experience and featured over 60 times for a nation like Argentina. That automatically makes for a high transfer value.

Yes, Mahrez is good. But players like Higuain are just a tad bit better still.

Actually it's fairly simple why some want to leave, let's take N'Golo - for me he was never settled here, even last year he never quite look like he subscribed to the band of brothers, always seemed like the outcast. Therefore when a club like Chelsea come along and offer you "stupid" money, it would have been hard not to say no. OK no champions league football, but he probably has enough faith that Chelsea,  over the duration of his contract will probably be in the CL more times than Leicester will be. Also Ranieri always said that he wants players who want to play for the club. 

Let's now look at Walsh, he in my opinion, should and will stay, he clearly loves the club, wants to stay at the club, however he has to look at his personal circumstances, he is not a player earning millions of pounds, but by moving to director of football he can give his family a very comfortable  life and achieve something great for his career. So let's give him a similar job here! Guaranteed he will stay. This is where I get perplexed as to why the Thai's are holding out. 

Guest seanfox778
4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Some people are carried away way too easily...

Higuain is a proven goalscorer at the highest level, he does it year in, year out. Just look at his record with Real Madrid and SSC Napoli for Christ sake. lol Plus, he's a striker and he's got Europa League and Champions League experience and featured over 60 times for a nation like Argentina. That automatically makes for a high transfer value.

Yes, Mahrez is good. But players like Higuain are just a tad bit better still.

I know he's a different calibre of player and I didn't mean the same price. I just meant some sort of statement would be nice to say that we intend on keeping him and ward of interest from others like Watford did with Deeney by rejecting £30m. This summer is getting to me is all haha. 

Archived