Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
st albans fox

Drinkwater rejects new contract

14 minutes ago, biggs said:

Just saying get it done......and by the way IMO it's a distraction

Tbf to drinky if there's one of our players I don't think would get distracted it's him. Model pro as most of the players that came through the fergie youth system were. Apart from Powell and Morrison but thats why no one wants them and they have wasted their talent. 

This is just newspaper BS. They have been rolling out the contracts during the summer. Drinkwater won't get 100k from any other team...if he is really being offered 80K, he should fire his agent if he is causing problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are quibbling over incentive clauses, especially what kind of bonus he will get for England caps (I remember Vardy put a clause in the first contract he signed, and everyone laughed at him).

We're not as big as Chelsea, correct, and we never will be with fans so happy to accept mediocrity after success. As for asking me if 'im an Arsenal fan"? Ironic, given we've seen our best player and imo our most important member of staff leave, and we've replaced our World Class central midfielder with a guy who's never held down a regular spot in this league and we've not kicked up a fuss because its the local kid who's a bit slow and backward (Kingy). Our stock will never be higher than it is now...In fact its already weaker since we sold Kante. 

21 minutes ago, Grewks said:

We're not as big as Chelsea, correct, and we never will be with fans so happy to accept mediocrity after success. As for asking me if 'im an Arsenal fan"? Ironic, given we've seen our best player and imo our most important member of staff leave, and we've replaced our World Class central midfielder with a guy who's never held down a regular spot in this league and we've not kicked up a fuss because its the local kid who's a bit slow and backward (Kingy). Our stock will never be higher than it is now...In fact its already weaker since we sold Kante. 

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. We've held most of the squad together, for one.

Still, it seems to me that there have been a few possible own goals: a pre-season schedule very similar to the ones derided by Ferguson and Mourinho in the past, not buying a like-for-like replacement for one of our best three players, not significantly expanding our squad, and losing the figure who had been credited by many for our team-building, either because he hadn't been offered a position as prestigious as that which he'd been offered by Everton, or for some equally inexcusable reason.

But I have seen a scary number of messages arguing that 'we need to let go of last season'. It seems like a horribly conservative approach towards the situation we've found ourselves in, and surely the rhetoric from management could have been a little more positive: not 'let's go back to expecting next to nothing', but rather 'let's keep improving, and if that doesn't win us a title this year then so be it'. I'm not sure we should be so keen to divorce ourselves from our greatest achievement. If anything, I'd rather see people eager to embrace it and build on it, than to pretend that it never happened. There are some people on here who seem positively determined that we achieve next to nothing this season.

12 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

giving Kasper 100k and letting Kante without making a huge play to keep him seems mental 

Kante had a release clause and he was always going to jump at the first chance to leave us, unfortunately. Nothing could have been done to get him to stay.

1 hour ago, WiFoxes said:

Kante had a release clause and he was always going to jump at the first chance to leave us, unfortunately. Nothing could have been done to get him to stay.

Nails through the feet would have worked.  Might've affected his game a bit mind.

As far as kante is concerned, from reading several articles recently, we could have made it more difficult for him to move specifically to Chelsea (perhaps his clause had different triggers for CL/ non CL clubs/European clubs ). However, he met with the owners to plead his case and they agreed to allow him to go to chelski. similar thing with Walshy who really wanted to go to Everton re living closer to his family (and age meaning  this is his last big chance at DOF).  the owners seem to be too nice on some occasions but they are people as well as businessmen and perhaps its that mix that has made them such great owners (thus far) as opposed to some of the others out there. 

2 hours ago, WiFoxes said:

If the rumours that his release clause had a highest bidder condition are true, I guess the King Power salesforce team in Phuket could have bid £75 million for him. But people were reporting Kante wanted to leave in February. He was never happy in Leicester. And what Claudio said was true: He doesn't want unhappy players; and that is different than not wanting players who might be happier somewhere else, or would like more playing time. That will describe most of any team.

Walsh and Kante were employees not slaves. Contract or not you can't keep people here against their wishes. Even if you could they're not going to be motivated to perform to their best. If you want out, you've got to let them.

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Walsh and Kante were employees not slaves. Contract or not you can't keep people here against their wishes. Even if you could they're not going to be motivated to perform to their best. If you want out, you've got to let them.

Not sure. Walsh I can understand. The man has done more than enough over the years to allow him to go with our blessing. 

With Kante, there must have been many players at many clubs who had been persuaded to 'give it another season, then you can leave if any bids to come in'. And they had stayed and had played very well.

I suspect it was the release clause that shot us in the foot here. Kante and his agent I guess utilised it. I don't blame the club for this though. None of us could have known how he'd take so well to the Premiership and a release clause would have maybe been the only way he'd have signed for us in the first place.

Without that release clause, he'd have probably stayed that one more year, then gone.

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Not sure. Walsh I can understand. The man has done more than enough over the years to allow him to go with our blessing. 

With Kante, there must have been many players at many clubs who had been persuaded to 'give it another season, then you can leave if any bids to come in'. And they had stayed and had played very well.

I suspect it was the release clause that shot us in the foot here. Kante and his agent I guess utilised it. I don't blame the club for this though. None of us could have known how he'd take so well to the Premiership and a release clause would have maybe been the only way he'd have signed for us in the first place.

Without that release clause, he'd have probably stayed that one more year, then gone.

Kante is a grade A jebend IMO.

Couldn't stick it out for one more year with CL Football and would rather play for a worn out Chelsea in domestic league games only. Poor form.

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That's rubbish Webbo. They are professionals who signed a contract and they would play as well as they could in order to get teams to make an offer City couldn't refuse. If they were playing badly then the club can't just fire them likewise they can't just leave. A Contract is a contract.

I'm surprised how many people think that these pros earning a lot of money doing a job they love would deliberately sabotage their team and their own careers. Perhaps the P&D world is different. lol

1 minute ago, FIF said:

That's rubbish Webbo. They are professionals who signed a contract and they would play as well as they could in order to get teams to make an offer City couldn't refuse. If they were playing badly then the club can't just fire them likewise they can't just leave. A Contract is a contract.

I'm surprised how many people think that these pros earning a lot of money doing a job they love would deliberately sabotage their team and their own careers. Perhaps the P&D world is different. lol

They're human beings, not robots. If they're doing a job they don't want to, in a place they don't want to be , earning less money than they could elsewhere, then that's going to affect their performance. 

Just now, Webbo said:

They're human beings, not robots. If they're doing a job they don't want to, in a place they don't want to be , earning less money than they could elsewhere, then that's going to affect their performance. 

They are doing a job they DO want to do. They play worse they are not wanted elsewhere. 

Hundreds of players have been in this situation over the years and most of them play as well as they can. We've seen it in Leicester before as well as elsewhere.

3 hours ago, WiFoxes said:

Don't be silly , cash talks in this sport 

it's all about the money , mind you FECK him he is a judas Kunte and maybe in long run club did right thing letting judas Kunte walk 

20 minutes ago, FIF said:

They are doing a job they DO want to do. They play worse they are not wanted elsewhere. 

Hundreds of players have been in this situation over the years and most of them play as well as they can. We've seen it in Leicester before as well as elsewhere.

Wow, you're so out of touch with football it's embarrassing.

There are countless examples of want away footballers being disruptive.

3 hours ago, FIF said:

You really don't get it do you.

By your logic, you would have kept every player on the same contract as last season, because we didn't need to sell them or offer them increased terms. We would have probably saved ourselves well over £50m in the next couple of seasons and all of the players would have had exactly the same hunger and passion to play as good as they always do? Also they would have never discussed this in the dressing room and wouldn't have moaned about it at all? One big happy family. 

8 hours ago, Mark_from_USA said:

Multiple journalists repeating an unsubstantiated rumor doesn't make it any more true. It just means the media is behaving as what they are - the echo chamber of ignorance.  

As opposed to it not being written about at all.

the press seemed to know what Vardy and Mahrez wanted.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Wow, you're so out of touch with football it's embarrassing.

There are countless examples of want away footballers being disruptive.

Countless examples, but in the grand scheme of things how many professional footballers are there unhappy yet still being professional about their job year after year.

Its a drop in the Ocean compared to the majority.

Not wanting to keep unhappy players is a myth.

We've just convinced Mahrez to sign a new contract, and he's been bloody miserable all summer.

We should've done everything we could to keep Kante, and if that meant losing Mahrez instead, so be it.

Kante is genuinely World Class in his position, Mahrez isn't.

Archived