Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
st albans fox

Drinkwater rejects new contract

2 hours ago, Grewks said:

Not wanting to keep unhappy players is a myth.

We've just convinced Mahrez to sign a new contract, and he's been bloody miserable all summer.

We should've done everything we could to keep Kante, and if that meant losing Mahrez instead, so be it.

Kante is genuinely World Class in his position, Mahrez isn't.

I love Mahrez but I can't help but feel that perhaps people are over reacting to this somewhat. 

The guy was on £30k a week for the next 3 years with no release clause and the club refusing to sell him seemingly for this season at least. 

He's now on a rumoured £100k a week for the next 4 years and the club refusing to sell him for the season at least. 

He was always going to sign a new one but I still envisage him leaving at the end of this season in all likelihood. 

Having said that lets genuinely hope it motivates him and the whole team , starting with Saturday!

2 minutes ago, hornyhollthefox123 said:

I love Mahrez but I can't help but feel that perhaps people are over reacting to this somewhat. 

The guy was on £30k a week for the next 3 years with no release clause and the club refusing to sell him seemingly for this season at least. 

He's now on a rumoured £100k a week for the next 4 years and the club refusing to sell him for the season at least. 

He was always going to sign a new one but I still envisage him leaving at the end of this season in all likelihood. 

Having said that lets genuinely hope it motivates him and the whole team , starting with Saturday!

In the beginning, hadn't most all accepted that we might get one more year out of him before he moved on to the greenest pastures of Europe? With that in mind, I agree that this is a mutually beneficial outcome for player and club. Mahrez will not be denied his masterstroke move; we will pay him like the reigning PFA. In turn, the club gets a fully committed season from it's brightest star and a proper sale price when the time comes. Good business all around. 

23 minutes ago, MPH said:

On his day, there isnt a defender in England who can touch Mahrez. He is indeed world class. I personally think that could be the motivation for him signing a new deal - in 12 months time some bigger fish might come looking for him..

Proving he is the best in the country does not prove he is 'world class' at all. It's the same problem we have with overrating our national players e.g. Rooney and then on an international stage they look way below levels of opponents.

There isn't a holding midfielder in the world which comes close to Kante imo.

Bale and Messi are just two right sided left footed players which outclass riyad.

1 minute ago, Grewks said:

Proving he is the best in the country does not prove he is 'world class' at all. It's the same problem we have with overrating our national players e.g. Rooney and then on an international stage they look way below levels of opponents.

Bale and Messi are just two right sided left footed players which outclass riyad.

So two players being better than him makes him not world class? Bullsh*t. 

Just now, Lcfcrory said:

So two players being better than him makes him not world class? Bullsh*t. 

No. But to be 'world class', you have to not look out of place amongst with the best in the world in that position. You have to be able to challenge those players, offer something different to them for example to differentiate yourself from them.

Mahrez is a level below the best, and therefore a level below the worlds highest class of player.

Kante on the other hand, perhaps doesn't have the technical ability of a Busquets, but his energy and mobility is far superior.

Kante probably benefits from the fact that there isn't an abundance of World Class holding midfielders. But i'd certainly rank him higher in his position against rivals compared to mahrez.

3 minutes ago, Grewks said:

No. But to be 'world class', you have to not look out of place amongst with the best in the world in that position. You have to be able to challenge those players, offer something different to them for example to differentiate yourself from them.

Mahrez is a level below the best, and therefore a level below the worlds highest class of player.

Kante on the other hand, perhaps doesn't have the technical ability of a Busquets, but his energy and mobility is far superior.

Kante probably benefits from the fact that there isn't an abundance of World Class holding midfielders. But i'd certainly rank him higher in his position against rivals compared to mahrez.

So he's not quite on the same level of the worlds best ever played and (until last week) the worlds most expensive ever player? To be world class you need to be one of the top 10 or so players in your position which mahrez comfortably is. 

13 minutes ago, Lcfcrory said:

So he's not quite on the same level of the worlds best ever played and (until last week) the worlds most expensive ever player? To be world class you need to be one of the top 10 or so players in your position which mahrez comfortably is. 

Being World Class is subjective anyway, but i have to disagree with what you've put.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Kasper average when he was one clean sheet from drawing with the golden glove winner with a back line of a £1mill signing from forest, a Stoke reject, a freebie and Danny "I'm so hard I strangle me misses" Simpson. 

Behave yourself. lol 

You do realise that what they cost means nothing and that how many clean sheets he gets doesn't just indicate him as being brilliant... but could actually indicate us being brilliant defensively.

59 minutes ago, Grewks said:

Kante is undoubtedly a brilliant player - perfectly suited to our style of play last season, but he failed to live up to his reputation in the France team in Euro 2016, so I wouldn't say he was world class....yet

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Drinks close to signing a new contracts says Claudio in his press conference.

Claudio doesn't seem to say something like this unless it's going to happen. So I chalk this up as good news.

19 minutes ago, mikey54 said:

Kante is undoubtedly a brilliant player - perfectly suited to our style of play last season, but he failed to live up to his reputation in the France team in Euro 2016, so I wouldn't say he was world class....yet

Failed to live up to expectations?

He was their best midfielder, certainly a lot better than Pogba.

3 minutes ago, Grewks said:

Failed to live up to expectations?

He was their best midfielder, certainly a lot better than Pogba.

Then why wasn't he in the starting XI for both the semi final and the final?

We'll agree to disagree

24 minutes ago, WiFoxes said:

Claudio doesn't seem to say something like this unless it's going to happen. So I chalk this up as good news.

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone offering anything close to what LCFC has on the table. I am not at all concerned, and actually hope it drags on into next week. Drinkwater deserves some attention in the papers.

16 minutes ago, mikey54 said:

Then why wasn't he in the starting XI for both the semi final and the final?

To be fair to Kante, that was as much tactical as anything else. Deschamp wanted to have a more attacking lineup that included Griezman. Kante's position made room rather than Kante himself. But it is perhaps splitting hairs.

I agree with your opinion generally; a 'world class' player wouldn't be left out at all and would pretty much have the team shaped around them.

FWIW, for me, Mahrez is - whilst being brilliant at what he does - not a complete enough player to be considered world class. It's what he doesn't do perhaps.  And I think Mahrez himself has said much the same thing.

2 hours ago, Grewks said:

Well  that depends doesnt it?

If you're talking about Lagos, then you are probably right, but we're not. We are talking about England. There are some exceptional talents here. Now being world class, of course doesnt mean you have to be as good as or better than Messi or Ronaldo as if thats the case there would only be two world class players in the world...

14 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

All this talk of comparisons does make me wonder how Ritchie Wellens and Junior Lewis would match-up against Drinky and Kante?

Incomparable. Every team improves in the summer. Manchester United never used to sit there with their current squad, despite winning the league, they'd be signing better players. Can't see how our squad is stronger than last season.

Oh, and Wellens ain't in the same bracket as Lewis. Try along the lines of Low for that.

Archived