Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

He was superb during the second half yesterday, when we were put under increasing pressure. Noticed he pushed up right next to Vardy at one point, which didn't succeed, but he was back in position so incredibly quickly that Porto couldn't capitalise. Very happy and somewhat surprised by his performance, which is probably his best to date.

• Like 1

Young player in inconsistency shocker.

He's only 21, only got a handful of starts under his belt, he has been thrown in against Liverpool and United away and 2 Champions League games, very tough games and he has to try and fill Kante's shoes.

Be patient have faith and don't jump on his back every time he makes a mistake.

• Like 4

This one man is the perfect example for showing fickleness in football. Personally, I'd drop him now because we all know he's going to get slaughtered on this forum after the next game. 

On a serious note, Porto are a very competent possession based team who DIDN'T overrun our two man midfield. I genuinely think a lot of this formation talk is pointless. I think it's the individual player instructions that make the real difference. A two-man midfield, minus Okazaki at CAM leaves us very light and yet that didn't seem to matter at all. As soon as you put an extra man in midfield, you're leaving a striker without a partner or, even worse, taking away the energy and width from the wingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He was very good 2nd half. He will continue to get better for us but please get him some extra help in the middle against the very best away from home.

Pretty much this

slowly getting better and he did really well last night but against the trickier top teams away I think we need a mid 3 possibly?

7 minutes ago, LAprice_ said:

This one man is the perfect example for showing fickleness in football. Personally, I'd drop him now because we all know he's going to get slaughtered on this forum after the next game. 

On a serious note, Porto are a very competent possession based team who DIDN'T overrun our two man midfield. I genuinely think a lot of this formation talk is pointless. I think it's the individual player instructions that make the real difference. A two-man midfield, minus Okazaki at CAM leaves us very light and yet that didn't seem to matter at all. As soon as you put an extra man in midfield, you're leaving a striker without a partner or, even worse, taking away the energy and width from the wingers.

I think the suggestion from some is reverting to wing backs in a 3-5-2 formation which was so effective during the last two months of the 2014-2015 campaign.

6 minutes ago, LAprice_ said:

A very good point!

4-4-2 is fine as long as we keep our shape defensively. Yesterday in the second half, we played deeper, had more men behind the ball, forcing Porto wide. That's what we did all of last season and we need to keep doing it!

The lad will need consistency in performances and position and he'll turn out to be very good.

If he gets dropped the minute Mendy is fit and starts playing right back/right wing again he just won't develop into the player he could potentially be.

Superb performance! Izzet, Savage, Lennon all were not at their best at 21. Very young player who has everything needed to be a top cm and will only get better. 

Won his headers, looked more composed on the ball, slighlty dangerous with the slide tackle follow through on the porto player. Personally see him as a Vieira type of midfielder, hopefully he does that for us. 

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You are a clever fox.

The willingness of the others to give him the ball more, was apparent. So was the tracking back to help the defence when they needed it.

Wes looked a little shaky in the second half didn't he....one or two dodgy headers and missed clearances and this game, Amartey was sniffing about to pick up the pieces.

Thanks Col.

Yes he seems to have everything except positional sense. He's brave can pass, tackle, head, has pace and not afraid of possession. All good traits of a good player.

His positional sense will improve as he plays more games and learns how to read the play. He sensed Morgan was struggling late in the game and so stuck close to him.  

I think it's crucial we sign a proven quality midfielder in January who'll bring the best out of him. As someone else said he could turn out to be our Viera.

• Like 1

Guest CityFan 06

Thought he was superb last night, his overall positioning, defending & recovery in defending was very, very good. He's got vision & and picks out some great balls. He is capable of getting out a tight spot as well. Great performance from him and I hope he builds from this. For him to adapt to both PL and European football in a short space of time deserves a lot of credit. Last night's display from him reminded me of Swansea (H).

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

We must have been watching different games.

Cleared every corner and mopped up and recycled perfectly in the second half. 

Slimani beat him in most arial battles and he looked panicked bringing the ball out...

We talking about their monster number 22 who virtually played as a redundant centre half yeah?

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You'd think the fans of this club would be wise to criticising and writing players off. Vardy and Morgan just two examples of players written off, only to prove everyone wrong. 

In the case of DA I agree.  He is very young and played a handful of games.  He is not the finished article by any means.  However, with the established players, you simply have to praise or criticise what you see in front of you at the time.  This is a discussion forum after all.  

• Like 1

Constistency, that's all he needs and playing regular he will get that.

21 and still learning, what happens when Mendy is fit will depend on how regular he plays

I believe CR will put Mendy in front of DA although it would be nice to see all 3 in midfield PM, DA, DD

Edited by Chico1958
miss spelt

6 hours ago, foxes21 said:

A very good point!

4-4-2 is fine as long as we keep our shape defensively. Yesterday in the second half, we played deeper, had more men behind the ball, forcing Porto wide. That's what we did all of last season and we need to keep doing it!

The system's been seen to work well enough against some teams.

But where you have a team committed to fast ground passing with lots of movement both across and behind the defence or from deep, the two man midfield gets tired much quicker and is invariably found out by a lapse in concentration which then affects confidence.

It's happened with Amartey several times and it's not just him  I remember taking Kingy to task on two or three occasions over the same thing, the great problem being that the mistakes are more likely to be punished without support. 

Like others I thought he had an excellent game last night and deserves full credit for that because every performance is judged on what actually transpires not "what if".

Porto didn't look like a marauding, fast-passing side committed to overwhelming us like Liverpool. But when Amartey does learn to cope with that kind of pressure and questioning I'll be as keen to draw attention and praise him as anyone else. On balance, I think it might happen too. He's clearly got ability but it's a long learning curve is football. And that's what's most important for him now .... to look at the videos, to be self-critical even after a good game and to think, listen and learn with the aim of being better still.         

Edited by Thracian

6 hours ago, Thracian said:

The system's been seen to work well enough against some teams.

But where you have a team committed to fast ground passing with lots of movement both across and behind the defence or from deep, the two man midfield gets tired much quicker and is invariably found out by a lapse in concentration which then affects confidence.

It's happened with Amartey several times and it's not just him  I remember taking Kingy to task on two or three occasions over the same thing, the great problem being that the mistakes are more likely to be punished without support. 

Like others I thought he had an excellent game last night and deserves full credit for that because every performance is judged on what actually transpires not "what if".

Porto didn't look like a marauding, fast-passing side committed to overwhelming us like Liverpool. But when Amartey does learn to cope with that kind of pressure and questioning I'll be as keen to draw attention and praise him as anyone else. On balance, I think it might happen too. He's clearly got ability but it's a long learning curve is football. And that's what's most important for him now .... to look at the videos, to be self-critical even after a good game and to think, listen and learn with the aim of being better still.         

Yup..and get the 2 Dannys a 3rd midfield player..

• 3 weeks later...

It's clear, and has been for a while, that he's not good enough at the moment, Now he's young, so I'm not saying that he'll never be good enough, but he certainly shouldn't be starting, and I'm not sure he'd even offer a lot off the bench.

• I think the biggest issue is that he either can't, or is unwilling to pass. He can make the sideways/backwards passes, that my nan could make, but almost never passes forward, and shifts the responsibility to someone else. It's predictable, and one of the reasons our forwards get no service. 
  • He doesn't seem to be able to hold on to the ball under pressure.
  • He often seems to be in the wrong position, or ball watching.

He doesn't seem to particularly offer anything. He seems athletic, and fairly good in the air, but I'm not seeing many positives to his game. Considering he seems to be in the side for his defensive ability, he's far inferior to Drinkwater defensively (who also offers a lot more in other departments). I'd almost rather see King starting (something I'd never thought I'd say), as King is a better passer and can occasionally pop up with a goal, even if he is just as ineffectual defensively.

Either way, it's clear that unless Mendy comes back soon, and proves to be half-competant, we're absolutely buggered.

• Like 2

Great player to have in the squad who can fit in to several positions, and will only get better but to much is being put on him at the moment.

I've said it 200 times before, we're paying for failing to strengthen the midfield and The Don has to take the blame for that, we had ample time to get replacements in for Kante and the fact a perfectly decent one was available, and on our radar, for a knock down price who has since proved he's gone enough (Gueye) makes it all the more galling.

18 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

It's clear, and has been for a while, that he's not good enough at the moment, Now he's young, so I'm not saying that he'll never be good enough, but he certainly shouldn't be starting, and I'm not sure he'd even offer a lot off the bench.

• I think the biggest issue is that he either can't, or is unwilling to pass. He can make the sideways/backwards passes, that my nan could make, but almost never passes forward, and shifts the responsibility to someone else. It's predictable, and one of the reasons our forwards get no service. 
  • He doesn't seem to be able to hold on to the ball under pressure.
  • He often seems to be in the wrong position, or ball watching.

He doesn't seem to particularly offer anything. He seems athletic, and fairly good in the air, but I'm not seeing many positives to his game. Considering he seems to be in the side for his defensive ability, he's far inferior to Drinkwater defensively (who also offers a lot more in other departments). I'd almost rather see King starting (something I'd never thought I'd say), as King is a better passer and can occasionally pop up with a goal, even if he is just as ineffectual defensively.

Either way, it's clear that unless Mendy comes back soon, and proves to be half-competant, we're absolutely buggered.

Good post, Amartey looks like he was a good buy but he's not the player we need at the moment. When he gets the ball he often looks for Drinkwater to pass to so he can make the "quarterback" pass even if he is in a better position to make that pass. That's not a criticism just an admission that he's not as capable as Drinkwater in that aspect of the game.

Amartey is still only 21 and we have older players in our development squad and I'm sure he'll mature into a good player in a couple of seasons. Also his forte is defensively and we're criticising him for his offensive capabilities. 

For me 4-4-2 with Vardy and Slimani isn't working because we don't get enough possession to justify playing two out and out strikers. I think Ranieri can only afford to play one up top and and maybe rotate them in a horses for courses way or play 4-3-3 with Vardy wide left? I'd like to see us evolve in to a side more comfortable with the ball and I've been very impressed with the Tottenham formation. Get two attacking full backs and play Amartey in the Eric Dier role when his responsibilities are to protect the back four and fill in at centre half when the full backs go forward.

I think this would compliment Amartey's skill set comfortably as he's never going to be an absolute baller like Drinkwater.but he has all the physical assets to be able to defend and he will read the game better as he gets older with more experience.

Edited by Gerard

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Good post, Amartey looks like he was a good buy but he's not the player we need at the moment. When he gets the ball he often looks for Drinkwater to pass to so he can make the "quarterback" pass. 

Amartey is still only 21 and we have older players in our development squad and I'm sure he'll mature into a good player in a couple of seasons. Also his forte is defensively and we're criticising him for his offensive capabilities. 

For me 4-4-2 with Vardy and Slimani isn't working because we don't get enough possession to justify playing to out and out strikers. I think Ranieri can only afford to play one up top and and maybe rotate them in a horses for courses way or play 4-3-3 with Vardy wide left? I'd like to see us evolve in to a side more comfortable with the ball and I've been very impressed with the Tottenham formation. Get two attacking full backs and play Amartey in the Eric Dier role when his responsibilities are to protect the back four and fill in at centre half when the full backs go forward.

I think this would compliment Amartey's skill set comfortably as he's never going to be an absolute baller like Drinkwater.but he has all the physical assets to be able to defend and he will read the game better as he gets older with more experience.

You're right that 4-4-2 doesn't seem to work without Okazaki. I'd be more tempted to start Slimani than Vardy, as it's not as if Vardy has been in good form recently, while at least Slimani has come up with a few goals. I don't think it would be worth playing Vardy out wide, as he just doesn't have the technical ability, and Musa hasn't been particularly dazzling in his cameos either.

I like the idea of 4-3-3, but that'd require 3 CM's, and we barely have 2 at the moment. I'd probably go for the 4-2-3-1. Slimani up top by himself, then Gray, Okazaki and Mahrez behind him, with Drinkwater partnering King/Amartey/Mendy behind them. Okazaki will give us a little more defensive ability (and I think his quick passing/link up play is something that we've been missing), and Gray deserves to be in on merit at the moment.

Only issue would be less pace up top, but most teams seem to be setting up to counter that anyway.

Edited by Charl91