Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Andy King - 10 consecutive seasons

3 hours ago, Koke said:

This may sound harsh but I sometimes question King's personal ambitions.  He's 28 years old, at the peak of his career, does he just want to spend the rest of his career being 4th or 5th choice at Leicester City? Surely he wants to play football. He's been low down the pecking order for at least 3 years now. James, Drinkwater, Cambiasso, Kante and now Ndidi have all been signed and jumped straight ahead of King. 

If I were him, at this stage of his career, I'd want to move on. He's not a young plsyer. He's 28.

I would cry if he went.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I'm happy to have him here but I question his personal ambitions. He's had 8 starts this season. 9 starts last season. 14 starts in 14/15. Thats 31 starts in 114 PL games in 3 seasons. He's 28 and at his peak of his career.  Does he really wanna spend his peak being 4th/5th choice at LCFC? If I were him I'd look for a move so I can get regular playing time, not have my career fizzle out. He's won the PL and played in CL and nobody can ever take that away from him. 

To reiterate, I'm happy to have him here but from his perspective, I'd want to play football, not see yet another CM come in next season and be picked ahead of me again.

I'll ask again - what else could he personally achieve with someone else that he hasn't achieved with us? Desire to be a one club man is as legitimate an ambition as any, not to mention the fact that he might fancy us to win another trophy or two in the next few years.

"What did you do with the second half of your career mate?"

"Started 145 times for Watford."

"Win anything?"

"Nope, but we finished between 11th and 16th in the Premier League every year I was there."

"Great."

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'll ask again - what else could he personally achieve with someone else that he hasn't achieved with us? Desire to be a one club man is as legitimate an ambition as any, not to mention the fact that he might fancy us to win another trophy or two in the next few years.

"Win anything?"

"Nope, but we finished between 11th and 16th in the Premier League every year I was there."

"Great."

Well if that's his thinking then fair play. Personally I'd rather go on to make 145 appearances for Watford than continue being 4th choice at Leicester til I am 35. Guys like Johnny Evans, Darren Fletcher etc left United to finish 10th with West Brom because they wanted to play football. 

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Where's he going to go that he'll get a chance to play Champions League football? 

We won't be in the CL next season. 

He's in a comfort zone here at Leicester. If that's what makes him happy then fair enough. Got no problem with him. Great guy and great servant for us. 

Edited by Koke

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

"Win anything?"

"Great."

As fans I'd say it's only valid to accept that kind of ambition if the player actually impacts the games we play in. When you look at one club players at other clubs, they've had a consistent impact on the club and a positive influence in moving the club forwards - they're integral to the way the team plays. I don't think it's particularly healthy to have a player as limited as King just hanging about at the bottom of the pecking order. 

2 hours ago, Koke said:

I'm happy to have him here but I question his personal ambitions. He's had 8 starts this season. 9 starts last season. 14 starts in 14/15. Thats 31 starts in 114 PL games in 3 seasons. He's 28 and at his peak of his career.  Does he really wanna spend his peak being 4th/5th choice at LCFC? If I were him I'd look for a move so I can get regular playing time, not have my career fizzle out. He's won the PL and played in CL and nobody can ever take that away from him. 

To reiterate, I'm happy to have him here but from his perspective, I'd want to play football, not see yet another CM come in next season and be picked ahead of me again.

He's on to a good thing. He won't move as he isn't good enough to be first choice in the premier league or even top half championship

King's just a whipping boy for some on here. Even if he played brilliantly there would be a kind of grudging acceptance - and delight a week later if the sceptics had chance to hammer him some more.

It's always been the case for some even despite the part he's played in so much of our success.

There were plenty worse than King yesterday but as I said at the time. we were never 100% up for the game and he wouldn't have been playin if we had been.

But the proof of my words - and the level of bias on here - is the fact that King's hardly played in weeks and any other player (especially the serially disappointing Drinkwater of late)  would be given some slack over that. But not King. Some fans' agendas are more important than that.

Having said all that it's time he moved. I've said it before but can only see a bit part future for him here as a player now.

But he's certainly worn the shirt with distinction and been a part of the best chapter and team in our history over the last decade.         

• Like 1

He's not going to make as much with another club and any of us would be content with staying around after signing a 4 year deal.

Not been great this season though and and out of all the midfield options he seems like the last resort. Kante and N'Didi have raised the bar quite a lot.

For all his limitations I don't begrudge him being with us and he seems like a decent man who was there in some of our worst days. Could be an ambassador or a coach in the club down the line.

He can't be on that high a wage, and we will get hardly anything by selling him. We don't need the money, as long as he's happy to stay. The more half decent players that are happy to sit on the bench without kicking up a fuss, the better. What if we get another serious midfielder injury/suspension crisis like earlier this year? We had to resort to putting Barnes on the bench last time it happened. Plus King is apparently a leader type person in the dressing room. It's great that we have many first teamers that's been at the club for 3-5+ years, loyalty and love for the club can be contagious to new signings IMO

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

King's just a whipping boy for some on here. Even if he played brilliantly there would be a kind of grudging acceptance - and delight a week later if the sceptics had chance to hammer him some more.

It's always been the case for some even despite the part he's played in so much of our success.

There were plenty worse than King yesterday but as I said at the time. we were never 100% up for the game and he wouldn't have been playin if we had been.

But the proof of my words - and the level of bias on here - is the fact that King's hardly played in weeks and any other player (especially the serially disappointing Drinkwater of late)  would be given some slack over that. But not King. Some fans' agendas are more important than that.

Having said all that it's time he moved. I've said it before but can only see a bit part future for him here as a player now.

But he's certainly worn the shirt with distinction and been a part of the best chapter and team in our history over the last decade.         

Do you think he's good enough for us Thrac in all honesty? He couldn't even control the midfield against Derby. He will soon become fifth or sixth choice midfielder. If we want success over the coming years Andy King is the type of player we need to be letting go.

Just now, Ashley said:

Do you think he's good enough for us Thrac in all honesty? He couldn't even control the midfield against Derby. He will soon become fifth or sixth choice midfielder. If we want success over the coming years Andy King is the type of player we need to be letting go.

I've expected Kingy to be superceded for a while but the likes of Mendy, and Amartey have been disappointing because neither seems to offer what we actually need which is someone who's mobile but genuinely creative, fast enough and strong enough to compete and track the runners and ruthlessly effective when offered a shooting chance.

It's asking a lot i know but  those we've signed as potential replacements for King don't really tick many of those boxes at all.

As it stands Kingy would definitely remain my go-to replacement midfielder and, like one or two others, I think of him as a better bet than Drinky on recent form and particularly if playing with Shinji and Ndidi. But, certainly we need to think about improving our first choices in central midfield and somehow being able to compete and flow against opponents fielding three men in the engine room.

But, again like others, I wonder if part of the problem relates to defensive support. There wasn't much yesterday due to the pressure Everton exerted and were always going to exert against two in midfield for all that I understand Shaky's reasons for resting folk.

Amartey and Benny were like caught like rabbits in the morning sunshine - totally disorientated at times. Kingy needs passing options. they're part of his essential diet and, without people running off him and making give-and-go's possible he'll always look ordinary.

Conversely with runners around him he's still our quickest, most reliable and best evaluater of a pass and a guy who still has a few goals and assists left in him.  if given the chance. But a box to box guy he's not any more,  not for long enough and not at a quick enough pace. But I'd still have him in the squad unless we can make categoric improvements.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 23:38, Wookie said:

Exactly when did he stop running with the ball and scoring headers?

when Pearson came back, he changed Kings role from an attacking role to a defensive one, put King in a 3 man midfield with license to get forward he would score goals

5 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

With the obsession of employing Managers younger and younger what about making him Shakey's Assistant Manager?

Not got time to search, but I can't be the first person to suggest this?

Think he is too passive personally. I imagine he would be as invisible on the training ground, as he can be on the pitch for us :ph34r:

• Like 1

If King is happy being 5th choice CM next season then fair enough. He can stay and make his handful of appearances, some of which will be very good and others will be totally unnoticeable.

I'd prefer for ours and his sake, that he got a move away to a Championship club and started every week. Would also mean our 5th choice could be an up and coming youngster, who has the potential to surpass King and by us showing faith in him early and giving him a handful of games, we and him would reap the rewards. I'm think Harvey Barnes type talent. 

I would hope that James OR Mendy can prove themselves to be good enough to step in when needed but also we go out and sign a top CM such as Adrien Silva, to push Danny for that starting spot. 

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Think he is too passive personally. I imagine he would be as invisible on the training ground, as he can be on the pitch for us :ph34r:

No opinion upon his nature, just that he's been through it all and can definitely string a sentence together. 

Successful Managers aren't easy to spot at this age.  

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Always does a job, never moans, friends with all the first teamers and a true blue.

Absolutely no idea why anybody would want him to leave. He's Mr Leicester City.

does he always do a job? I would like a CM who can offer more than the very basics tbh.

But as I said.. not many seasoned professionals would be happy as 4th/5th choice and so little game time, so as long as he isn't preventing us bedding in potential top young CM prospects as 4th/5th choice, then I have no issue with him staying on. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, C-man said:

Mental how many actual football managers have come in and trusted King to do a job - either starting or from the bench - yet many fans continue to question his ability and value to the squad.

350+ appearances

62 goals

3 titles

Still no respect. 

Find it embarrassing and bewildering.

You can have respect for a player but still wonder if we can do better. 

Not sure why everyone takes everything so personal on here. 

He has been a fantastic servant for us.

How many managers have come in and trusted him enough to be a regular starter?

Shouldn't we want players on the bench really pushing our starting CMs? 

Can you honestly say he has done that in the last few years?

If he and the club are happy him being 4th/5th choice next season, then fair enough. 

I would prefer he was playing 46 games in the Championship and we were bedding in youngsters who have the potential to surpass King.