Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Thoughts About 2016

Pretty much what it says on the tin. What does everyone think about the last year, from a personal and wider perspective?

For me...personally it was pretty good (and looking to be better next year), sporting wise it was of course amazing (as pretty much everyone on here would agree :D), but there were a lot of entertainers who said goodbye and a couple of dark spots in general and one in particular (not sure you'll need to guess) that makes it a little difficult to be optimistic for the future.

So...what do you all think about it?

Just now, Webbo said:

I thought it was a good year. I bet you're not surprised by that though :D

I'm sure you did. Personally the idea of further environmental destruction and isolationist aggressive nationalism not only allowed but actively encouraged by various powerful current governments isn't really my cup of tea. :ph34r:

But at least we won the Prem, that's something the next species can look at and smile about when they find what's left of us. :D

I really enjoyed it. Went to some new places, met some interesting people, watched Leicester win the league.

Obviously the whole lurch towards nationalism is a little concerning but hey at least we won the title so bring on WW3.

Best year of my life, went to Germany, saw us win the league, spent a month in Ecuador, went to Bruges and had a week in Porto. 

If your year has been severely affected by celebrity deaths then you should probably get out more.

The best ever following Leicester. Going to Old Trafford, Etihad, Stamford Bridge, WHL and actually see us take points was unbelievable. Went to Brugge also so never expected to follow Leicester in Europe. Wouldn't change any of it.

Personal point of view, not really achieved or changed that much.

Was disappointing losing a hero in Bowie but nobody lives forever.

It was a decent year personally. Obviously being a Leicester fan it was beyond my wildest dreams, and I also made some important career progress which should pay off over the next few years. On the downside I packed on a bit too much timber, didn't get on enough holidays or see friends and family as often as I'd have liked, and then there was Roy Hodgson. 

I'm not that bothered by brexit or trump in isolation, i didn't vote for brexit and wouldn't have voted for trump but the effects of both are being overplayed. I am concerned though that amongst all of the ongoing melodrama we have lost focus on the real issues and are quietly becoming a poor country with increasing poor country problems. 

It's been a turbulent year, can't really decide how I feel about it but I've been through some extreme highs and some extreme lows. May was an unbelievably good month, Leicester clinching the league and then the incredible title celebrations that pretty much lasted the whole month. At the same time, I completed my degree with a 1st which was a big personal achievement and a huge relief after the 3 years of hard work I had put into it.

Sadly, it got worse from there. In June, an old friend died while racing at the Isle of Man TT. In July, my Grandma had two strokes and in August she died after 2 weeks of fighting. The rest of the year consisted of trying and failing to get work. I was hugely disappointed with Brexit and I lost a lot of respect in the US public with the Trump result but I had other things to worry about so I got over them pretty quickly. 

Looking ahead to 2017, I'm hoping to get a job in engineering and lose at least 2 stone. :D 

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

Best year of my life, went to Germany, saw us win the league, spent a month in Ecuador, went to Bruges and had a week in Porto. 

If your year has been severely affected by celebrity deaths then you should probably get out more.

Depends what age you are - nothing like seeing the faces you grew up with shuffling off to make you realise your own mortality.

Been a right rollercoaster - got given my notice in February and came out still at the company with a pay rise and promotion of sorts (no change in job title but a lot more responsibilities). Saw the impossible dream come true, properly picked up the guitar again in January and played a gig at the musician by October. Only disappointment has been politics and donald trump in particular.

Great for me personally - I had a really terrible 2014 and 2015 with a massive bereavement in each year after long terminal illnesses, still having to live with my parents and basically not working at all.

2016 however, I moved to Cape Town for 4 months on an internship, met so many amazing people from all over the world as well as the Cape Town Foxes continent for almost every match, fell absolutely in love with the Mother City. Then I went up to Botswana to stay with a mate for a couple of months, witnessed Leicester City winning the Premier League from the middle of the Botswana bush AND still have the scars to prove it, rented a car and explored Namibia and Botswana again, seeing so much wildlife and meeting so many lovely people. I have been back in the UK for 6 months and while things haven't been great and I'm still unemployed and living with parents, I wrote a new (my third) screenplay which is getting some great reviews from friends and peers.

Things are finally looking up - bring on 2017 and the Champions League!!

Happy New Year.

2016, its had good parts and bad parts like every year.

Leicester winning the league stands out as the greatest moment. Politically I've not enjoyed the rise of the Trump, Brexit and the growth of hate filled politics. Also not been nice to see so many iconic celebrities die (to counter Wookie's point, it's never nice to see people you've admired die even though my life hasn't really been affected by people likes of Bowie or Ali dying.)

On a personal level, I've enjoyed watching my nephew grow up (born last Christmas Day), but also my Dad passed away, and had to see my great Aunt deteriorate with dementia to a point where she completely unrecognisable. I've put on a little bit of timber that I'm not to chuffed about, but I've joined a gym and a 5 aside football team and made some mates along the way.

Very unforgettable year, for many reasons, good and bad! 

Personally I've had a cracker, got a new flat, passed driving test, got a car, travelled around Europe to see Leicester play champions league, watched them lift the Premier league trophy.

Incredible times! 

Great year personally. Started off by moving in with my girlfriend. I remember having the Man City game in the background while we were carrying furniture in - great day for more reasons than one. Lost my job but then got a new one which is a million miles better, so that kind of worked out well. Witnessing Leicester win the league was unreal - that Hazard goal will forever be etched in my memory! Didn't really go on holiday this year (unless Scotland counts?) so hopefully going to make that right this year. Learning more about the new Zelda game was a pretty cool moment too ?

Great year!  Moved into a great new house, bought a lovely car, went to Bali and Australia, got new roles for all my people in a reorganisation, got a new job myself, Brexit, and Oh my goodness the Premier league title and last 16 Champions league.  Awesome!

Decent got out of a bad relationship got into a good one with a really nice girl. Bought a house leicester won the league and then I got a promotion in December. Will be tough for 2017 to be better but ah well they can't all be like that. 

Archived