Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

I thought King did very well, he might have been by MOM. In fact the midfield three coped in general, without ever having the width at their disposal to get anything going. I generally agreed with the substitutions, though it might have been better to give them longer. Towards the end I thought we had a chance of nicking it, but if I were to be critical it would be of our overly-narrow shape rather than any individual. The lack of width was being exploited by Boro for a good 30-40 minutes of the game.

Defence was good, especially Huth, but I think Ranieri would be wrong to feel too happy with the performance, because Champions shouldn't really be getting to the stage where they have to set up that negatively in such winnable games. As with the West Ham game, we rode our luck a bit more than we should aspire to. And there were other negatives - Mahrez still blowing hot and cold, another game where we were second best for long spells. But in the context of how the season's gone so far, it was a respectable point.

Just now, chicagofox said:

You've got to start living in the present, mate.  

100% this. If we're still setting up like that in 2 months time then it's shite, but look at where we are and what's happened on the road this year.

I think though thats a pretty strong message to the board that second half today. Ranieri evidently has no confidence in that team going forward, so much so that he changed from his beloved 4-4-2 and instructed the players to not show much interest going forward and to focus on defending.

5 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

What were these chances that Boro wasted? They only had one decent chance in the whole game.

And how about we see Musa play up-front for a run of games before we make a final judgement on his City career.  Or here's a radical idea; how about we give him time to get fully adapted to a new city, country, lifestyle, and playing style before we judge him.

I Think your being a tad optimistic there mate. Musa looks like a shocker for the money spent on him. Not every signing comes off, but for 16 million you hope there not absolute garbage.

Satisfied with that draw. Huth, Amartey, Mendy all performed well and were key in keeping Middlesbrough out. 

Huth had no issues aerially and swept up anything that came his way. Kept Negredo quiet too. They couldn't/didn't carve out many chances and that's partly thanks to the shield of the midfield in front of him. The way we set up was probably the best way we could have by resting a few after the tough-earned win from Saturday. 

Can understand why fans will be unhappy that we've not won but we've gotta look at the big picture here. Look at our away from and form in general. As well as missing key players a draw is a good result at Middlesbrough. Especially with their home form (think they've only lost 1 at home in the league this season?). Even so, they don't make it easy for teams to get points there and we've gone and taken 1. 4 points out of 6, two consecutive clean sheets. While the game was poor to watch, this is a positive step for us. 

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I think some people are extremely short sighted here. 

We got a point but the performance really shows this is the beginning of the end for us. We've gone from being an ambitious, attacking team with a philosophy that works, to now being what we saw today.

This can only result in regression and stagnation long term and annual relegation battles beckon.

It's fairly clear we've abandoned the things that made us successful and apart from the odd glimpse of last season there's very little hope to be gained from what we've seen in 16/17.

What a waste.

We abandoned the gung ho attitude post Arsenal last season with the change in full backs and it's been steadily heading this way for some time.

4 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

So you would prefer it if we went for it and lost 2-1?

Boro went for it at our place and got the same result. In fact they should of got three points and we only scored from penalties. It's how you approach the game that makes the difference and how you are coached to use the ball. At the moment we are coached to use the ball like it's got a bomb in it.

You can see where the disgrace comments come from... but the performance itself was abit of a disgrace and horrific too watch but in terms of our away form and recent results then yeah it's a good point so you got to agree with both ends.

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

Boro went for it at our place and got the same result. In fact they should of got three points and we only scored from penalties. It's how you approach the game that makes the difference and how you are coached to use the ball. At the moment we are coached to use the ball like it's got a bomb in it.

We had some of our best players missing and were in awful form.

Looking forward to seeing Vardy Okazaki partnership back with Gray and Albrighton on the wings and two of Drinks/Mendy/N'didi/King in the centre.

Happy to give Chilwell a run out too here and there!

I'll take the point, 4 out of 6 and 2 clean sheets for now. I'd like to think this was an opportunity for some players to give it a go given that the Africa Cup of Nations is just around the corner. It didn't really fill my heart with hope. That being said we are without Vardy who is very much the spearhead and the fulcrum of how we like to play our football. As long as we keep ticking over for now, I think the team will be OK. I do think that a major rebuild of the squad is in order at the nd of the season, and a proper preseason should help it along too.

1 minute ago, chicagofox said:

Maybe.

But a point away from home for a team without an away win all season and in a relegation battle is anything but awful.

You've got to start living in the present, mate.  Where we finished last season counts for nothing this season.

How can you ignore last season? We won the league ffs. We have gone from champs to chumps in 6 months. The here and now is we have wasted the greatest chance this club has ever had to build something special.

This is what comes of having a director of football dealing with the transfers and a manager trying to fit these over-inflated price players into a system that worked so well last season. We are a mess.

That said Boro never really looked like scoring. 0-0 bore fest the right result.

Archived