Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

When Musa broke out down the left in injury time I thought we might nick it on the counter but we just passed it across the front of Boro defence until the chance was gone - no-one prepared to take responsibility for a shot . 

So different to last season and a huge contrast to how the likes of Liverpool and even Stoke or Southampton mount counter attacks 

5 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

So you would prefer it if we went for it and lost 2-1?

Boro are not that great, not that good we don't dare leave our half, and not have any sort of ambition, we would probably have won, even with the ambition, Leo should have scored.

All we did was invite pressure, and with our defence, not the best tactic, a better team would have took boro chances today.

Our mentality is not to lose away from home and I feel can be quite negative, and it shows in our play even when we have had all/most of our better first team players back.

How about turning up away from home and going for the jugular, we had a great u score 1 we will score 2 mentality and looked frightening at times, now we just look frightened.

I hope things start to improve away from home.

if we play with 9 men behind the ball we will concede 9 times out of 10

we nearly shot ourselves in the foot a few times today and got away with it.

Teams with a little quality have put us away, keep playing like this and many more teams will do for sure.

These type performances will decide opinion, mine is that it was 2 points dropped we should have gone to attack a team with a makeshift defence.

they got away with us wanting to defend a team with the lowest attacking stats this season and this inspires them to attack as we have no intention to.

2 minutes ago, Slim Dog said:

What did Musa do wrong anyway?

Nothing much, contributed about as much as our other attackers who had little support. Just another one of the scape goats. You see it with every single new signing barring about two going back years.

Guest CityFan 06

Another clean sheet and a point on the road. Good for the away form we didn't lose. Very even game, could've gone either way, we edged the first half, Middlesbrough edged the second. The midfield three worked very well today I thought, tactics overall pretty good. We matched Middlesbrough tactically and with our formation. Huth MOTM, but notable mentions to Mendy, Amartey and King.

One minor concern is how deep we sit in the second half. I noticed how we deep we were vs West Ham in that second half, and today was the same. Would've like to of seen us push up more with our attacking options. Nevertheless, an important point today in the run of things.

Up to 14th. 7pts clear of the bottom three. Looking more comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

We've been awful defensively, it makes sense to go back to basics and focus on the defending part as we were leaking goals. Also, a point away from home in the prem anywhere is a brilliant result.

That was not going back to basics.  That was concede all ground, all outlets and allow the opposition to come at you.  We're not good enough to do that, and it showed, we have defenders whoake mistakes, today we were fortunate.

I'm glad we got a point, not the manner in which we did it.

Claudio obviously got 'The Tony Pulis School of Management' for Christmas.

Read the Defence chapter but hasn't got to the one on how to Attack yet.

I foresee more of the same, we're going to grind our way to safety.

Poor game no doubt but you have to be pleased with 2 consecutive clean sheets and 4 points. 

Last times I've watched Boro on TV were against Watford and West Brom and they were also dreadful games of football. We're not entirely to blame for that match. 

6 minutes ago, Jfox90 said:

Thats a bit o.t.t

We lacked an attacking threat but we were defensively solid for most of the game and after 2 points on the road so far, a point isn't the end of the world.

If that had been Boro v Burnley, you'd have been laughing at just how shit both sides were, and would have quite rightly laughed at the idea that was a premier league football match. We weren't even that great defensively, they are just dreadful going forward, hence they don't score many goals. Absolutely criminal to go up there today and play for the 0-0, made even worse by telling your attack minded subs to just sit in to stop crosses coming into the box. No width compounded by the fact our full backs don't venture forward, no pace compounded by the fact we had no runners from midfield, and no creativity resulting in aimless hoofs towards an isolated striker. 

It's horrible to see the verve and dynamism we showed at times last year completely destroyed, to the extent people on here are happy with a point and a clean sheet away at Boro in one of the most turgid games of football you will see for a while. Really ****ed up a genuine opportunity to push this club forwards.

11 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I genuinely think we have a decent squad and will be ok with a couple of "class" additions. But that's only if our Manager earns his corn and finds an effective formula. So far this season he has utterly failed.

But how depressing is it that this season is our only chance in a lifetime to push on and become legitimate contenders, and it's all been frittered away in 6 short months.

We were never going to the next Man Utd, but the failure to build upon the Championship rather than revert to norm is so disappointing.

Terrible game. Boro' really arent a very good team, yet at times we made them look so much better by holding the ball too long or just hoofing it.

Good that we mixed up the tactics and formation the last two games and you could argue it has gained up 4 points and 2 clean sheets. 

I just think that so far this season we cant quite get the balance between defence and attack right. Should perhaps have lined up this way against the likes of United, Chelsea and Liverpool earlier on in the season and we may have scraped a few more points.

You have to look at this game in it's context.  We really are in relegation danger, we are playing one of our rivals, we are missing several first teamers and AFCON is around the corner taking three more.

On top of that our away form has been beyond dreadful, so we have gone back to basics and tried to make ourselves hard to beat first on the back of a home win. 

Job done.  

Good point

Just now, Livid said:

Claudio obviously got 'The Tony Pulis School of Management' for Christmas.

Read the Defence chapter but hasn't got to the one on how to Attack yet.

That's because there isn't one. 

Although to be fair, he's currently composing it this season.

10 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

I think though thats a pretty strong message to the board that second half today. Ranieri evidently has no confidence in that team going forward, so much so that he changed from his beloved 4-4-2 and instructed the players to not show much interest going forward and to focus on defending.

You can't accuse the board of not backing Ranieri with the money that was spent in the summer

Guest CityFan 06
Just now, Babylon said:

Nothing much, contributed about as much as our other attackers who had little support. Just another one of the scape goats. You see it with every single new signing barring about two going back years.

Agree, and we can't expect our attackers to produce really good performances if they are not getting options or support going forward. The likes of Musa and Gray are talented but because of how deep we played second half, we weren't getting the best out of them and they weren't seeing much of the ball. 

You have to look at this game in it's context.  We really are in relegation danger, we are playing one of our rivals, we are missing several first teamers and AFCON is around the corner taking three more.

On top of that our away form has been beyond dreadful, so we have gone back to basics and tried to make ourselves hard to beat first on the back of a home win. 

Job done.  

Good point

1 minute ago, jim5000 said:

But how depressing is it that this season is our only chance in a lifetime to push on and become legitimate contenders, and it's all been frittered away in 6 short months.

We were never going to the next Man Utd, but the failure to build upon the Championship rather than revert to norm is so disappointing.

This is true. I expected a lot better this season. Comfortable 8th and knock out stages in Europe.

Archived