Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gaston Ramirez

Both good points @HoustonFox and @STUHILL it's a real head scratcher. However if asked would you prefer Ramirez in the squad or not, it's a no brainer IMO. We could find better as a CAM, but this window is notoriously tricky. He gives us something different when we're running out of ideas, and/or lean too heavily on Mahrez to prise open a stubborn defence.

12 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

Both good points @HoustonFox and @STUHILL it's a real head scratcher. However if asked would you prefer Ramirez in the squad or not, it's a no brainer IMO. We could find better as a CAM, but this window is notoriously tricky. He gives us something different when we're running out of ideas, and/or lean too heavily on Mahrez to prise open a stubborn defence.

Spot on, we possibly could find better. However, I'm not convinced we could find better for that price in this window. He's played in this league and would also take a key player off an immediate rival. It's a yes from me. 

52 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Spot on, we possibly could find better. However, I'm not convinced we could find better for that price in this window. He's played in this league and would also take a key player off an immediate rival. It's a yes from me. 

He's a slightly better David Nugent!.... 

1 hour ago, RoyFox said:

@RoyFox - do you really think Riyad is off this summer?  On form he is in now, who (big) would cough up for him?

Not being picky or anything but can anyone name me any effective CAMs in the Prem?  I'm at work so really can't think of any who are true midfielders.  Sigurdsson, Alli, and Eriksen spring to mind but none, with the exception of Alli, would work in the 442 that we have decided on, and I really think moving to 4231 would be a major shift as it would displace Vardy or Slimani, and Drinkwater, who doesn't seem as effective when more constrained or in a 3, when he he has to play a DM (as he's not a CAM for sure).  

How far away do peeps think we are from upheaving our formation?

1 hour ago, HoustonFox said:

OK, found them, and read through everything, even the southampton article that was posted earlier but I didn't grab.  Read a lot of "goes missing", "dodgy agent" etc.  Also read a lot of "first line of defence" and "without him Boro would be fooked" (although that's a WHOLE DIFFERENT MATTER).  Really not convinced he is what we should go for, or what we need.  I stand by comments I've made in other threads that we don't need a pure #10 and we certainly don't need another winger (yet, different if Riyad is off).  We need a midfielder who can carry the ball and pass it, to create space and create openings, much like DD does but less statically, and reliant on THE killer pass.  Before I say anything, I can't think of anyone right now. Maybe 442 is the option with DD and NDD in the middle, Riyad / (Cafu?!), and Marc / Demarai on the other, and Jamie and Slim up front.  We desperately need a CB, and I think RB (cover or starter, that is better than DS, and can pass), and it will make the world of difference. 

I would say Ramirez is a brilliant ball carrier. Have you not seen his goal vs Bournemouth?

4 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

@RoyFox - do you really think Riyad is off this summer?  On form he is in now, who (big) would cough up for him?

Not being picky or anything but can anyone name me any effective CAMs in the Prem?  I'm at work so really can't think of any who are true midfielders.  Sigurdsson, Alli, and Eriksen spring to mind but none, with the exception of Alli, would work in the 442 that we have decided on, and I really think moving to 4231 would be a major shift as it would displace Vardy or Slimani, and Drinkwater, who doesn't seem as effective when more constrained or in a 3, when he he has to play a DM (as he's not a CAM for sure).  

I think Mahrez will go and a club like Arsenal or Chelsea will pay £35-£40m for him.

It looks like Ranieri is steering towards 433 variants, at home Ndidi/Mendy and Drinkwater in a 2 with GR slightly ahead in the CAM role would work. Although GR can also play LW, IMO he's more versatile than Albrighton (who's main strength is crosses coming in from the RW).

16 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Lanzini for West Ham. 

Really want him! Think he suits us well and is just what we need, hard working and creative. 

People saying he goes missing and isn't consistent. Name me a creative player who is constistant and I bet they play for for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Most creative players such as Mahrez have their off days

This seems like it could be happening. To be honest, I'm ok with it. We need another creative player alone with Mahrez and Drinky. I adore Shinzi but I don't want to rely on him for attacking quality in the final third....

3 minutes ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

Really want him! Think he suits us well and is just what we need, hard working and creative. 

People saying he goes missing and isn't consistent. Name me a creative player who is constistant and I bet they play for for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Most creative players such as Mahrez have their off days

100% this. Creative players that are consistent are the most expensive players in the world. They don't play for clubs like us.

10 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Thats the point about Mahrez he only tries when there is a big spotlight, he has had a decent champions league, has played his best prem games in front of the cameras and turns it on at Afcon.

Common denominator is maximum exposure.

Text book for me.

Boro fan in peace. So first of all, congratulations on last season's success and breaking the mould. I know plenty of Boro fans, including myself, were right behind you last season. It was a magical year and I'd give anything to see that happen with my team.

To the point, the Ramirez talk from our side seems strange. I personally don't believe it has any legs in it.

The lad is currently injured and not expected back in the side for a while but until we sign Bojan and one of our winger targets, he is easily the most (potentially) creative player in our team. He's our set-piece taker so therein lies a lot of responsibility that we don't have an answer to if he goes. It's clear as day we don't create enough chances so losing him would be a mistake.

There is a personal issue that was caught not long before the transfer speculation. Ramirez's Instagram account was caught messaging a girl, asking if they were single, when he himself is married. The authenticity of it is a little bit up in the air but I guess it could be a contributing factor to speculation.

From what we've all heard, the release clause is rubbish made up by the media so I would be hesitant to believe any source that continues to mention that aspect of it. There is no guarantee that a £15m deal would guarantee being able to speak to the player and I know our manager absolutely does not want to lose him.

Though £15m would very likely represent some profit, it wasn't an uncomplicated free signing, there was money that had to exchange hands in the summer due to a pre-contract agreement he held with Uruguayan side Penarol. I don't think £15m quite covers losing him and I don't see Steve Gibson being forced to sell. We've had unhappy players before (Albert Adomah last summer had a huge tiff with Karanka and he ended up having a transfer request rejected a bit later, a month later he was playing again) so if he is genuinely unhappy, it won't force us to sell. We aren't after Bojan as a replacement for him, that's pretty much for sure.

This all being said, I think he is the kind of player who would improve Leicester and I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested. He's not super fast but is quite quick. He's strong, feisty, tries to win the ball high up the pitch, has a good delivery and isn't afraid to run at players. His worst attribute is his temper. Too many bookings for dissent for a player who makes potentially silly tackles high up the pitch, can hinder his performances. He takes chances both in the creative side and the disciplinary side. If you want to hear a really harsh description of what Gaston Ramirez is though, have a word with a Brighton fan.

Finally, I've noticed some people are heading on to the likes of FMTTM forums for Boro 'in the know' people. Beware, it's really hit and miss on there, much more of the latter. I would suggest OneBoro if you want more accurate info. The hits from FMTTM will make it onto there for sure. There are 2 or 3 'in the know' people on there too.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Boro fan in peace. So first of all, congratulations on last season's success and breaking the mould. I know plenty of Boro fans, including myself, were right behind you last season. It was a magical year and I'd give anything to see that happen with my team.

To the point, the Ramirez talk from our side seems strange. I personally don't believe it has any legs in it.

The lad is currently injured and not expected back in the side for a while but until we sign Bojan and one of our winger targets, he is easily the most (potentially) creative player in our team. He's our set-piece taker so therein lies a lot of responsibility that we don't have an answer to if he goes. It's clear as day we don't create enough chances so losing him would be a mistake.

There is a personal issue that was caught not long before the transfer speculation. Ramirez's Instagram account was caught messaging a girl, asking if they were single, when he himself is married. The authenticity of it is a little bit up in the air but I guess it could be a contributing factor to speculation.

From what we've all heard, the release clause is rubbish made up by the media so I would be hesitant to believe any source that continues to mention that aspect of it. There is no guarantee that a £15m deal would guarantee being able to speak to the player and I know our manager absolutely does not want to lose him.

Though £15m would very likely represent some profit, it wasn't an uncomplicated free signing, there was money that had to exchange hands in the summer due to a pre-contract agreement he held with Uruguayan side Penarol. I don't think £15m quite covers losing him and I don't see Steve Gibson being forced to sell. We've had unhappy players before (Albert Adomah last summer had a huge tiff with Karanka and he ended up having a transfer request rejected a bit later, a month later he was playing again) so if he is genuinely unhappy, it won't force us to sell. We aren't after Bojan as a replacement for him, that's pretty much for sure.

This all being said, I think he is the kind of player who would improve Leicester and I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested. He's not super fast but is quite quick. He's strong, feisty, tries to win the ball high up the pitch, has a good delivery and isn't afraid to run at players. His worst attribute is his temper. Too many bookings for dissent for a player who makes potentially silly tackles high up the pitch, can hinder his performances. He takes chances both in the creative side and the disciplinary side. If you want to hear a really harsh description of what Gaston Ramirez is though, have a word with a Brighton fan.

Finally, I've noticed some people are heading on to the likes of FMTTM forums for Boro 'in the know' people. Beware, it's really hit and miss on there, much more of the latter. I would suggest OneBoro if you want more accurate info. The hits from FMTTM will make it onto there for sure. There are 2 or 3 'in the know' people on there too.

Thanks for coming and sharing. Interested as an non-city fan, when you say improve us, who do you think he could / would replace? I always like another fan's perspective on our team, as we tend to have a very blinkered view of the Leicester world within our echo chamber. 

On the highlighted bit in bold from your quote, we already have Vardy for that! ?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season. 

Archived