Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gaston Ramirez

Leicester ready to launch £12m bid for Middlesbrough striker Gaston Ramirez but face paying £15m release clause

• Leicester searching for creativity with Claudio Ranieri targeting Gaston Ramirez
  • But Middlesbrough are holding out for more amid their interest in Stoke’s Bojan
  • Any deal for Ramirez is likely to hinge on Leonardo Ulloa’s Leicester future
  • The Foxes want £10m for the Argentinian, who is desperate to leave this month

Leicester have told Middlesbrough they are prepared to pay £12million for Gaston Ramirez but the Teesside club are holding out for more amid their own interest in Stoke’s Bojan.

Claudio Ranieri is prioritising the signing of a new centre-back but is also keen to add creativity and likes Ramirez’s ability to operate across the line behind a striker.

It is understood that Ramirez has a release clause in his contract worth £15m, although it may take more to prise the Uruguayan from Boro due to the exact terms

Aitor Karanka is reluctant to lose the 26-year-old but could sanction the departure if Boro are successful in their pursuit of Bojan, who has told Stoke he wishes to leave.

Ramirez, signed on a free from Southampton last summer, has only scored twice in 17 Premier League appearances this season in a side set up defensively but that includes wondrous solo effort against Bournemouth. 

Ranieri believes Ramirez would add quality to Leicester’s attack, but any deal is likely to hinge on Leonardo Ulloa’s future as the champions already have five recognised forwards.

Leicester may even offer Ulloa a new contract as appeasement but if not Swansea, Sunderland, and Hull are all expected to act, while Alaves and other sides on the continent have expressed serious interest. Leicester would only countenance bids in excess of £10m.

Ranieri’s main area to improve is in central defence to provide competition for Wes Morgan and Robert Huth.

But so far the club have been frustrated in attempts to land Sassuolo's Francesco Acerbi, the No 1 target. Ranieri has looked at Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho, available for £20m, but is disinclined to make a move.

:blink:

25 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Thanks for coming and sharing. Interested as an non-city fan, when you say improve us, who do you think he could / would replace? I always like another fan's perspective on our team, as we tend to have a very blinkered view of the Leicester world within our echo chamber. 

On the highlighted bit in bold from your quote, we already have Vardy for that! ?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season. 

Depends on the system you play. I'd say he's less hit and miss than Demarai Gray is and better on the ball than Albrighton, not sure if you'd agree with that given you've undoubtedly seen more of those 2 players than I have. But if he was to be played out wide, that could work. He's had his best games for us this season wide left but he's most comfortable coming inside to get involved in the middle from either side.

Last season he was deployed as the CAM of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, that's where he thrived for us. Playing behind the striker, depending on the defence he's up against, he could feasibly create chances for himself, he did it plenty last season. Played his way out of trouble much more often than he played himself into it.

I reckon he could play as one of a 3 midfielders in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation too, depending on the other players alongside him. I doubt he'll play there for us with our focus being so emphatically on having midfielders who can defend. In our midfield 3, we have one who cleans up the defence, one who tries to win the ball higher up the pitch and one who will try and get the wingers and striker involved. Not sure how well that maps across to your team but he'd best fit in the latter of the 3 positions.

10 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Surely Ramirez is happening, if hes the man Ranieri wants then surely 3m difference isn't a big enough gap to stop it? 

One would think. But based on what you hear stranger and dumber things have been done by the club.

A bit of detective work, i guessed CR wouldve noticed GR from his time at Roma and Inter

Bologna chief Longo admits Inter Milan want Ramirez

Bologna have confirmed Inter Milan interest in attacker Gaston Ramirez.

Ramirez is seen at Inter as an alternative transfer target to Udinese star Alex Sanchez.

Bologna chief Carmine Longo said: "He has five years remaining on his contract. He'll stay at Bologna for as long as we manage to resist the pressure from the offers.

"He already has some important offers. At the moment he isn't ready, and we aren't either.

"Inter aren't the only ones interested."

2011 CR was inter boss

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Surely Ramirez is happening, if hes the man Ranieri wants then surely 3m difference isn't a big enough gap to stop it? 

If you're talking about the £3m gap from the release clause, we've been explicitly told the clause doesn't exist:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gaston-ramirez-no-bid-uruguayan-12454846

The local paper is very close to the club. Within the last couple of years, they seem to have struck a deal with the club that they can get more concrete information as long as the club has some control over what is put out. So they've lost a little bit of their journalistic integrity by having to have some stories approved but their information is pretty conclusive.

Funny how it happened though. Came about because of Shay Given. Before he joined Stoke, he'd agreed to join us and had all but signed. The paper had started the whole shabang, 'top 10 things you don't know about Shay Given', 'Shay Given's history in the North East', etc. etc. Those reports got the word out to Given's former manager at City, Mark Hughes. Hughes made a call to Given's representatives and his head was immediately turned. The club despised the paper for that and that no doubt led to some pretty serious discussions but is also the reason we have a paper that doesn't tend to speculate any more. If it's reporting gossip, it makes it absolutely clear its reporting gossip.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

If you're talking about the £3m gap from the release clause, we've been explicitly told the clause doesn't exist:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gaston-ramirez-no-bid-uruguayan-12454846

The local paper is very close to the club. Within the last couple of years, they seem to have struck a deal with the club that they can get more concrete information as long as the club has some control over what is put out. So they've lost a little bit of their journalistic integrity by having to have some stories approved but their information is pretty conclusive.

Funny how it happened though. Came about because of Shay Given. Before he joined Stoke, he'd agreed to join us and had all but signed. The paper had started the whole shabang, 'top 10 things you don't know about Shay Given', 'Shay Given's history in the North East', etc. etc. Those reports got the word out to Given's former manager at City, Mark Hughes. Hughes made a call to Given's representatives and his head was immediately turned. The club despised the paper for that and that no doubt led to some pretty serious discussions but is also the reason we have a paper that doesn't tend to speculate any more. If it's reporting gossip, it makes it absolutely clear its reporting gossip.

Ah I see, maybe not then :(

7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Depends on the system you play. I'd say he's less hit and miss than Demarai Gray is and better on the ball than Albrighton, not sure if you'd agree with that given you've undoubtedly seen more of those 2 players than I have. But if he was to be played out wide, that could work. He's had his best games for us this season wide left but he's most comfortable coming inside to get involved in the middle from either side.

Last season he was deployed as the CAM of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, that's where he thrived for us. Playing behind the striker, depending on the defence he's up against, he could feasibly create chances for himself, he did it plenty last season. Played his way out of trouble much more often than he played himself into it.

I reckon he could play as one of a 3 midfielders in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation too, depending on the other players alongside him. I doubt he'll play there for us with our focus being so emphatically on having midfielders who can defend. In our midfield 3, we have one who cleans up the defence, one who tries to win the ball higher up the pitch and one who will try and get the wingers and striker involved. Not sure how well that maps across to your team but he'd best fit in the latter of the 3 positions.

Cool, thanks for the reply and detailed notes! 

Not sure still if he is who we really need but your 433 talk peaked my interest. Possibly that he could play with Ndidi and Drinkwater in the middle and be more of the link. Might work better than Mendy who seems to be more Drinkwater like. 

Ranieri sure loves his inverted wingers too. If he went for Mahrez and Ramirez either side of Vardy/Slimani, that might be interesting to have two left footers...

7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Don't be deluded, I would almost guarantee he has a release clause, any agent worth his salt would make sure one is written into his contract.

Leicester Mercury once reported Kunte was staying...

1 minute ago, Cujek said:

Don't be deluded, I would almost guarantee he has a release clause, any agent worth his salt would make sure one is written into his contract.

Leicester Mercury once reported Kunte was staying...

Most player's dont have release clauses. 

The Echo reports possibilities more than anything. They try to take advantage of the Gazette's slowness by getting in there first and claiming the exclusive. Certainly with regards to Boro. They also cover Newcastle, Sunderland and the other North East teams which they do a better job of. The Gazette is solely Boro.

I'd say the more telling thing is that the Gazette has posted something fairly similar.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/karankas-stance-gaston-ramirezs-middlesbrough-12479286

As for the release clause, as I said, the club has said it doesn't exist. That's not the paper's opinion. There has been no bids so far either, going by Karanka's presser.

The Bojan deal has been going for a while, before the Ramirez speculation came out. I'd be surprised if he was a replacement for Ramirez. In many ways, they are a different kind of player. Particularly that one can play out wide and the other I wouldn't say has ever done it successfully.

3 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Gaston didn't really settle at Soton or Hull. He's fine well at Boro but I just don't see how he would fit in unless Mahrez goes!?

Can you expand on what you mean as I assumed we'd play him as a CAM and Mahrez on the wing....

13 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

I can see us all watching ssn on deadline waiting for things to happen,even past the deadline,to find out we've signed no one

It'll be great because at least then Geoff will be able to do a Jim Bowen and tell us all what we could've won.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Can you expand on what you mean as I assumed we'd play him as a CAM and Mahrez on the wing....

There is nothing that suggest we will be playing a CAM in our formation. Ranieri still prefers 2 up front so I can't really see him getting in ahead of Vardy, Slimani, Musa or even Okazaki. I reckon if anything we will play  Gaston as a winger, hence why he wouldn't fit in. I still think the best position for Mahrez is CAM but we just don't play the formation enough 

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

It's looking likely that Mahrez is going to leave in the summer. But I still don't see how mahrez and ramirez can't play in the same team 

11 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

It's looking likely that Mahrez is going to leave in the summer. But I still don't see how mahrez and ramirez can't play in the same team 

On what basis is this "looking likely"?  Is it just speculation because we are not doing well?  Depressing if true.

10 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Might be the kick up the arse Mahrez needs...besides he can play wide left if needed, I'd rather have Gaston wide left over Albrighton.....harsh on DM but Gaston works hard, which fits our criteria. And to be brutally honest Mahrez doesn't deserve his place at the moment. He's beeen ****ing horrendous so far this season.  

Archived