Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Benalouane "Ready to Play"

He has a habit of wandering away from his station into the midlfield in pursuit of the ball. Good illustration on Saturday after benteke's one on one, saved by kasper and cleared out by huth. PVA's slide rule pass into the box nearly found benteke - benny had wandered out towards the ball, well away from where he should have been. Noticed it in each game he plays and he needs to address it. 

One of the things I've noticed about him that's very strange is he seems to poke his foot in front of the striker rather than challenging for header? It's bizarre, I'm sure he has a leap on him but he did it on Saturday and got penalised for it.

I originally noticed when he did it against Stoke when Crouch came on, and at the time thought it was very clever as he would never out jump Crouch. But now I think I'd rather see him challenge for the header lol 

Anyways, play like he did last Wednesday and I'll be very happy with him!

Can we all show our appreciation for this man. Had a torrid time against Everton but to bounce back with those two performances against Athletico shows the character of the man. 

Crazy to me that CR didn't give him a chance when you look how well he can play. Potential starter next season maybe?

Still rate Huth and Wes individually but not so sure about them as a pair now

Edited by foxfanazer

I'd definitely consider him a starter next season, even more so if Shakespeare decides to switch us to 3 at the back. His calmness on the ball is really useful and he looked the most comfortable on the ball against Atletico. 

Another player slagged off as not good enough and a waste of money before he had a proper chance to play and he's done well. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I'd definitely consider him a starter next season, even more so if Shakespeare decides to switch us to 3 at the back. His calmness on the ball is really useful and he looked the most comfortable on the ball against Atletico. 

Another player slagged off as not good enough and a waste of money before he had a proper chance to play and he's done well. 

What did you make of the back 3 mate? Thought we played it really well to be honest although obviously Athletico were sitting back

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I'd consider the 3-4-1-2 only for tough nuts to crack. The 4-4-2 should stay the default formation but we're in dire need of a good CM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

I'd consider the 3-4-1-2 only for tough nuts to crack. The 4-4-2 should stay the default formation but we're in dire need of a good CM

I'd only want us to keep 442 if we sign a good CAM, and maybe someone to compete with Drinkwater. With a quality CAM we could be pretty deadly on the counters and it'll give our strikers more service as Shinji isn't exactly unlocking defences with quality passes. 

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

I'd only want us to keep 442 if we sign a good CAM, and maybe someone to compete with Drinkwater. With a quality CAM we could be pretty deadly on the counters and it'll give our strikers more service as Shinji isn't exactly unlocking defences with quality passes. 

My thoughts exactly.

There was a moment during the game where he charged forward with the ball, whilst throwing his arms up in the air to will the crowd on. That did it for me, the man obviously cares.

He's been given a run of games and I'm fairly confident he can be a good player for us. Didn't really understand the decision to take him off at HT but nonetheless, well done Benny #YB29

11 minutes ago, M0901 said:

There was a moment during the game where he charged forward with the ball, whilst throwing his arms up in the air to will the crowd on. That did it for me, the man obviously cares.

He's been given a run of games and I'm fairly confident he can be a good player for us. Didn't really understand the decision to take him off at HT but nonetheless, well done Benny #YB29

At the end he was walking around the pitch clapping the fans and banging his chest. Looked like he had a tear in his eyes.

It's difficult not to like him. Could easily have sulked back to Italy but he's always been a smiling face around the club.

12 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Also loved at the end he was pointing to the badge on his shirt. Love the guy!

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He's better against smaller strikers, he's been all over the place when playing against a big man (Carroll, Benteke, Lukaku).

Have to agree with this. Seems to be great at nipping in and winning the ball of people, but also seems to get bullied a little in the air. Think we just have to be smart about which CB's we play against which opponents. God knows some of them could do with a rest on occasions anyway.

• Like 2

Loved that when noone was making any movement he just desided to run with the ball 20 yards to get us up the pitch rather then just hitting and hoping. Can see us resting Morgan for the rest of the season and giving Bennalouane his starting spot till next season.

26 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Can't see him lose his place as starter now. Can someone please explain to me why he was subbed off at HT?

Only thing my dad could think of was that Morgan, Fuchs and Simpson all know each others game and are probably more suited to 3 at the back as Fuchs knows how to cover the left and Simpson knows the right. Bit of a guess though and looking back probably would have been better to take Morgan off with his injury and keep Benalouane on. But obviously thats with hindsight and I didn't complain at the time with the subs.

55 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Absolute hero, came right over to the Kop, gave what looked like his shorts (lol) to someone in the crowd, constantly pointing to the badge on his shirt. What a chap. #YB29 

We need a song for him if we didn't already have one. Remember him tweeting something about not being at the club anymore on deadline day in january. Remarkable that Wasileskwi got infront of him whenever Huth or Morgan were out. #BennyCares. (Forgive me for the hashtag please lol)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's better against smaller strikers, he's been all over the place when playing against a big man (Carroll, Benteke, Lukaku).

This.

Although, a lot of defenders struggle against those three. Just look at Michael Keane getting bullied the other day against Lukaku. 

54 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Absolutely. Looks like more of a footballer than Wes or Huth, but doesn't quite have their strength. Gives us a good option in certain games. What a month he has had!