Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Mahrez

I think he'll be off this summer, and I'd much prefer it to be Barcelona over some underachieving PL side like Liverpool or Arsenal.

He's not had the best season, so the 35-40m Euros being quoted sounds about right- if it's Barca, anyway. We should squeeze any PL side for everything they've got, £50m or nothing.

7 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I think he'll be off this summer, and I'd much prefer it to be Barcelona over some underachieving PL side like Liverpool or Arsenal.

He's not had the best season, so the 35-40m Euros being quoted sounds about right- if it's Barca, anyway. We should squeeze any PL side for everything they've got, £50m or nothing.

He won't go to Liverpool... Why would they spend £40-£50m on someone to understudy Manè? & if he's sensible he will stay well clear of that posinous club Arsenal.

No way are Barcelona would be interested after this season's form.

Mahrez is 26 and has been lucky to keep his Leicester place at times this season, he also moves with little chance of being anything but a reserve. I don't think Barcelona want to spend £30m+ on a player of his age with next to no chance of displacing Messi, Suarez or Neymar.

Last season I could see it but not this season. Barcelona only want elite level players and Mahrez has been by and large average this season with a few odd moments of brilliance.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Mahrez is 26 and has been lucky to keep his Leicester place at times this season, he also moves with little chance of being anything but a reserve. I don't think Barcelona want to spend £30m+ on a player of his age with next to no chance of displacing Messi, Suarez or Neymar.

Last season I could see it but not this season. Barcelona only want elite level players and Mahrez has been by and large average this season with a few odd moments of brilliance.

He's still a brilliant player and they know that. I can see him going there for £30m and immediately raising his game and playing like a £60m player. They will have got themselves a major bargain.

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

But there's something you don't take into account: it's not all about form. Since the first day i saw playing Mahrez in a Leicester shirt, i told myself "this is not a team for him" and i believe that Barcelona's scouts are aware of this. What he made last season was unbelievable and alongside players like Messi, Suarez Iniesta, In a style of play that suits him best, i think that we can really see a better Mahrez than last season. Even King can look like a top class midfielder there. 

40 minutes ago, Gerard said:

If they compared to how we played last season and this one (up until Feb) then they'll see what he can offer. Mahrez hasn't been on top form, but with the way negative Ranieri had us play nobody really stood a chance. Mahrez would be a monster in a team with more technically gifted players, and not Okazaki and Simpson. 

9 minutes ago, Demoox said:

But there's something you don't take into account: it's not all about form. Since the first day i saw playing Mahrez in a Leicester shirt, i told myself "this is not a team for him" and i believe that Barcelona's scouts are aware of this. What he made last season was unbelievable and alongside players like Messi, Suarez Iniesta, In a style of play that suits him best, i think that we can really see a better Mahrez than last season. Even King can look like a top class midfielder there. 

Impressive that Barcelona's scouts are aware of your thoughts lol

Guest CityFan 06

As others have said, and what @STUHILL has pointed out, I too think he will be leaving the club in the summer, and I feel Barcelona would be the perfect match for him with his playing style. 

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Impressive that Barcelona's scouts are aware of your thoughts lol

If they're competent, then yes. You can't say that i'm wrong, Mahrez is a creative player, and creative players need to focus on their abilities, it's why Messi doesn't track back. Mahrez looks in a bad form this season, but how many times he touch the ball in a game ? If you compare to players like Ozil, it's insignificant (and even with this he's sh*t). We all know that Mahrez is capable of magic, but to make magic you need to to try risky passes/dribbles and it happen only a few times. So to maximize the possibility of this magic, you have to give him more balls, this is how it works, and that's why a possession playing style suits him more. Nothing to add.

i  agree tbh with the people  who say about Riyad going in the summer, i think he will too tbh,

though him going Barca would be good i suppose, but he wouldnt get in the starting 11, more than likely be sat on the bench and probably then loaned out to a another team in La Liga

34 minutes ago, Demoox said:

This is not a team for him? Wtf? He won player of the season in the PL last year in this team not for him and did you notice he also won the Premier League? That's not a bad indication that he is a good fit at Leicester!!

9 minutes ago, Demoox said:

If they're competent, then yes. You can't say that i'm wrong, Mahrez is a creative player, and creative players need to focus on their abilities, it's why Messi doesn't track back. Mahrez looks in a bad form this season, but how many times he touch the ball in a game ? If you compare to players like Ozil, it's insignificant (and even with this he's sh*t). We all know that Mahrez is capable of magic, but to make magic you need to to try risky passes/dribbles and it happen only a few times. So to maximize the possibility of this magic, you have to give him more balls, this is how it works, and that's why a possession playing style suits him more. Nothing to add.

Your argument that he'd find it easier at Barcelona playing in the first 11 is a fair but also completely obvious point and would apply to any professional playing for a team outside of the major world wide clubs (Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc) The issue Mahrez would have is getting in the 1st 11 at Barca. 

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

This is not a team for him? Wtf? He won player of the season in the PL last year in this team not for him and did you notice he also won the Premier League? That's not a bad indication that he is a good fit at Leicester!!

Is this contradictory ? No, it just give him more credit, if you put Messi in place of Mahrez, i think that he would do better performances, does that mean Leicester is a "team for him" ? You're turning my sentence in a bad sens.

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Your argument that he'd find it easier at Barcelona playing in the first 11 is a fair but also completely obvious point and would apply to any professional playing for a team outside of the major world wide clubs (Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc) The issue Mahrez would have is getting in the 1st 11 at Barca. 

Yeah sure, but i'm mostly focusing on the playing style.

"The issue Mahrez would have is getting in the 1st 11 at Barca. " : That's why i don't want him to go there, he's no way near at the level of Neymar or Messi.

Reckon we'll lose Mahrez to Barca in the summer. But we shouldn't take less than £40m for him.

If he does go, Slimani, his bum-chum, will be off too. Hopefully to China, cus we'll get serious money.

We shouldn't panic, if this all comes to pass. In Gray, we have a great (but different) winger with potential.

Also, if we were to get massive money for Slim and Mahrez, then we could spank a lot of it on a brilliant no10 such as Sigurdsson.

I'd be gutted to see him go. At times he has the power to do so much and entertainment-wise, he's one of very few flair players we have ever had that can get you straight off your seat. The way he skins players and puts them on their backside is nothing short of genius.

Having said that...the £30-40m that's being quoted would be too hard to turn down (for me) when you think we bought him for less than half a mill. I think a move to a club like Barcelona for that amount would be best for both parties in that case.

If a bid came in from another Premier League team then no, don't sell.

I wonder if other big clubs in Europe are still willing to shell out the money for Mahrez based on his raw talent alone, even though he has had a disappointing season (compared to last year). 

Also, how much influence would Slimani have on him staying or going? If Slimani is integrated into the squad, and starts to get regular minutes on the pitch, would Mahrez still leave? Even though, he probably convinced Slimani just 12 months earlier to come to Leicester. If they are truly close, my guess would be that he probably gave some assurances to Slimani that he wasn't going to just immediately leave as soon as he got there. Obviously if we move Slimani in the summer, that might make Mahrez's decision all that much easier.

Archived